Is there a cap on how much I can burn?

Options
I had a sugar low today and went about 1300 calories over my goal so I'm back on the cardio machines Is there any problem with burning these calories, or will the body stop at some point?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    sbuell20 wrote: »
    I had a sugar low today and went about 1300 calories over my goal so I'm back on the cardio machines Is there any problem with burning these calories, or will the body stop at some point?

You'll have to be pretty fit to burn 1300 calories in a reasonable amount of time...
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Let me put it like this, if your body stops burning calories, it means that you have died.
  • sbuell20
    sbuell20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to hear. I've burned this many before but thought someone told me the body stops working them off or something like that. Thanks for your reply!
  • sbuell20
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

You'll have to be pretty fit to burn 1300 calories in a reasonable amount of time...
    Burned five hundred on a break I had earlier back for the other 800 now, about an hour and fifteen for those.

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I guess you answered your own question then.....
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Burned five hundred on a break I had earlier back for the other 800 now, about an hour and fifteen for those.

Unless you're very fit, that's unlikely.
  • sbuell20
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I understand what the machine says. My problem is I have a good friend that is a personal trainer and for some reason I thought he said I didn't need or want to exceed 45 minutes in cardio a day. I couldn't remember why he said that. I do just over an hour of cardio a day, six days a week. But wanted to make sure there was a point to double that,may sound stupid by want sure :-).but I heard conflicting things, or maybe I didn't understand what they were telling me.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    I understand what the machine says.

Machines lie.

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options

I thought it was the opposite. The more fit you are the less you burn because your body is more efficient.
  • sbuell20
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I had a sugar low today and went about 1300 calories over my goal so I'm back on the cardio machinnoes Is there any problem with burning these calories, or will the body stop at some point?

500 in 45 minutes, not unlikely. And I'm pretty in shape. Just some stubborn belly fat.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tryclyn wrote: »

I thought it was the opposite. The more fit you are the less you burn because your body is more efficient.

No, that's exactly backwards - the fitter you are, the MORE you can burn in the same amount of time. EG, fit runners can go a lot further in the same time than un-fit runners.

That's what fitness is - the ability to burn more calories, faster.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options

I'm a randonneur. A randonneur is a long distance cyclist. Our events start at 200 km which must be completed within 13.5 hours, including all breaks. Our longest event is 1200 km ... in 90 hours including all breaks. We ride all day and all night, and only catch a bit of sleep here and there.

I have also ridden a couple 24-hour events ... where you cycle for 24 hours, taking only the barest minimum of breaks (i.e. toilet).

The body will stop at some point. I haven't reached that point yet.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    Don't think of calorie as something flabby, but as energy (which it really is) or fuel. Would your car stop running if you gave it a bit less fuel or if you drove faster than normal?
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I understand what the machine says. My problem is I have a good friend that is a personal trainer and for some reason I thought he said I didn't need or want to exceed 45 minutes in cardio a day. I couldn't remember why he said that. I do just over an hour of cardio a day, six days a week. But wanted to make sure there was a point to double that,may sound stupid by want sure :-).but I heard conflicting things, or maybe I didn't understand what they were telling me.

A lot of trainers like to use slogans than sound authoritative, but are mostly nonsense.

Having said that, there is no compelling reason to go out of your way to try and make up for a splurge in 24 hours. It's not like the extra calories you ate are sitting on a shelf waiting to be picked up and thrown into the furnace. Metabolism is a dynamic process and it doesn't work on a 1:1 basis.

Example: doing an extra 1000 Cals in exercise one day could affect the quality/quantity of subsequent workouts, which could offset many of the extra calories you burned during the extra workout. Or, extra fatigue could result in you decreasing your volume of casual activity, also offsetting the extra calorie burn.

The extra workout likely won't hurt you, and it won't have a great effect, either positively or negatively. So if it makes you feel better, go for it.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just jumping in to comment that one bad day doesn't mean you have to burn 1000+ calories to make up for it. It seems a bit reckless to me to double your cardio without preparation just to make up for some overeating.
  • sbuell20
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Its done, I did 2.5 hours of cardio for a decent little burn of 1530 calories. Did some walking and 40 minutes of ab workouts. If nothing else, I beat my old record of two hours of cardio at the gym. Definitely feeling a little fatigued this morning, but will be back this afternoon for my daily workout. Thank you for all the replies and information!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Is there a logical reason why you would think it is mandatory to go burn off so many calories at one time?
  • sarahcakez
    sarahcakez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

A lot of trainers like to use slogans than sound authoritative, but are mostly nonsense.

Having said that, there is no compelling reason to go out of your way to try and make up for a splurge in 24 hours. It's not like the extra calories you ate are sitting on a shelf waiting to be picked up and thrown into the furnace. Metabolism is a dynamic process and it doesn't work on a 1:1 basis.

Example: doing an extra 1000 Cals in exercise one day could affect the quality/quantity of subsequent workouts, which could offset many of the extra calories you burned during the extra workout. Or, extra fatigue could result in you decreasing your volume of casual activity, also offsetting the extra calorie burn.

The extra workout likely won't hurt you, and it won't have a great effect, either positively or negatively. So if it makes you feel better, go for it.

Thank you for actually responding with an answer, instead of a meaningless response about why OP is "wrong" for whatever reason.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    @azdak: There have been studies that cardio over 60 minutes and you release too much cortisol for you to get rid of it. 45 minutes of moderate exercise is optimum according to these studies. There is also a 45 minute optimum for people over 60. Anything over 60 minutes can actually be detrimental for living longer. Likewise, studies have shown that people over 60 should be at the high end of a healthy BMI or even a little into the overweight range. For some reason, that 60 year mark makes a difference.

Now, many people will argue. I don't follow these either, but...that may be where he is getting it from. I will say that my cardiologist and my internist have both said these things, but hey, in most cases we do what feels good and we stop when we look good!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The fitter you are then the more endurance you will have enabling you to go for longer an at higher intensity. As part of that they will also be more efficient. Heavier people burn more calories, but the issue is whether they can keep going and at what intensity.

1000 caloie burns are respectable, whether they throw your training off depends on your fitness level, but you get used to them. This is especially so if you pace yourself and spread them a bit.