The truth about "I still eat the foods I love"

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    For me, weighing food and knowing portions. That's it. Didn't cut out any foods at all. Just didn't eat as much of them. It would be hard to say exactly what I did though since it wasn't something drastic.

I don't waste calories on liquids (unless it's alcohol)
    I usually don't get fries at fast food restaurants
    I eat portion sizes of things rather than entire bags/cartons.

That's it.

That being said, I have a higher TDEE than most so it's easier to fit items in while still hitting macro/micro targets.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think the misconception is partly to do with people not understanding what moderation actually is. Their view of serving sizes is skewed. When someone says they still eat what they love people assume it's typical servings of a large bowl or multiple helpings, instead of measuring out an actual serving of it. Many of us are also careful to state that we still eat what we love after our other needs are met through nutrient dense and macro appropriate choices.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I think the misconception is partly to do with people not understanding what moderation actually is. Their view of serving sizes is skewed. When someone says they still eat what they love people assume it's typical servings of a large bowl or multiple helpings, instead of measuring out an actual serving of it. Many of us are also careful to state that we still eat what we love after our other needs are met through nutrient dense and macro appropriate choices.

Yeah, I think this is the kind of clarification OP was hinting at, not being angry at facts.

• bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

You're right, though, you can have the foods you enjoy but you have to be mindful of quantities and frequencies. I think we parallel roughly, but here's my list:
    Frequency shouldn't matter if portions are reasonable. One can eat whatever they like everyday, they just have to be accounted for when counting calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Right - I can't eat a pint of ice cream every day and since I won't eat less than a pint, I'll have a pint on those days I burn a higher number of calories - we're saying the same thing.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    trixieloo wrote: »
    So you're still eating the foods you love while losing 42 lbs. Congrats.

Just because people say "I eat all the foods still", they're not saying they're eating the same amounts of food like they did before. Just like you have demonstrated. Moderation is key, without depriving yourself of foods you love, to lose weight.

Smh.

OP never said otherwise. I got the impression that OP is just trying to clarify, for those that don't get it, what people mean when they say they still eat all those things. Not that the OP was trying to argue with people who say they still eat those foods. Not every thread is started to provoke an argument. You and OP agree. No need to smack your head.

This is how I read the OP as well.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions of higher calorie stuff. Exercising more. Pre-logging my whole day so I see what fits in advance.

I'm not going to list everything but an example of a change for me might be choosing a smaller hamburger with a salad and unsweetened tea instead of choosing a double bacon cheeseburger with fries and soda pop.

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I fit in chocolate candy daily. Yesterday, I was hit hard with strep so I treated myself to a shake and fries. I'm down 26 lbs by fitting in foods I really love, but, like others have said, I just don't eat the same amounts of them. I have approx 100 calories of chocolate every day. I also fit in about 200 cal of beer every few days. What I don't do is go to the local restaurant several times a week like before, and have chicken fingers, fries, and two pints. :)
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Pasta - 2 oz serving instead of 3 or 4
    Alcohol - 1-2 drinks a week instead of 1-2 drinks a day
    Chocolate - Tablespoons of cocoa with my yogurt and banana daily instead of a chocolate bar daily
    Pizza - home made (accurately tracked) rather than delivery
    Food in general - higher nutritional quality rather than higher quantity
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    At first, I was like, "wha???"

Then I read OP, and was like, "oh. yeah."
  • sevader
    sevader Posts: 16
    Options
    I honestly restricted and lost a lot of weight.. like I wouldn't even touch pizza it would make me sick and same with chips and all that crap
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Confused. Are you asking specifically how we do it?

Chips-frequently eat half portions. I've hit my fat macro doing this more than once.

Pasta-I almost never eat it any more. Hard to count (I'm not going to cook my own separate portion) and it doesn't fill me up.

Chocolate/sweets in general-I don't really have a problem moderating these so yeah, I can stick to the occasional 80 grams of cake easily. I have sugar free fudgesicles too.

Soda/flavored coffee-I cut these out entirely because they just weren't worth moderating.

Cheese-I work it in every day, sometimes multiple times per day.

Pizza-I make it an event. I've only had it a couple of times in the last 7 months, but I went ham on it with no regrets.
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Yes. What changes have you made in the quantity/frequency of certain foods that allow you to still include them while still losing weight.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it took me reading the first paragraph a couple time to realize, its not a diss on those who still eat what they love, just a clarification that its with the caveat to eat them in moderation.

Mine is a bit backwards...before, I would rarely if ever eat ice cream..like once or twice a year, because it just felt too sinful to eat more than that. And yet, Id eat a whole pizza, have fast food for breakfast, lunch *and* dinner, gobble down gas station pie with a bottle of Starbucks frappacino...yeah, my logic was warped LoL

So, instead of eating less of it, I actually eat more ice cream now! Since I consume a balanced diet now, I dont feel bad at all about having some ice cream if it fits into my calorie goal for the day.

Speaking of fast food, I still eat it yeah, but instead of say...the Big Mac meal with a strawberry milkshake, I now get only the Filet o Fish sandwich, no fries or drink... make a salad at home to have with it and drink water... (I drink water with all my meals at home now actually)

Yup...I have what I love, but I choose *how* to have it in a different way and also mind my portions. Id rather be able to have a little bit / reasonable amount than to suffer through denying myself and complain to anyone who will listen that I can never eat something I like because it will go straight for my thighs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    Yes. What changes have you made in the quantity/frequency of certain foods that allow you to still include them while still losing weight.

same foods..

just less frequency with the caveat that they fit into my targets.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    sevader wrote: »
    I honestly restricted and lost a lot of weight.. like I wouldn't even touch pizza it would make me sick and same with chips and all that crap

Yeah, that's kind of....not what we're looking for.

More like the HOWS of fitting the food you love into a sensible deficit.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Pizza - One slice instead of 2, or three, or four.... or more.

Pasta - I have just about cut this out of my diet as I'd rather use my calories for other foods, but when I do eat it, I will generally eat only half of the portion, and save the rest for another meal.

Subs - My absolute favorite sub ever is a ham/cheese with only lettuce, and mayo from the local supermarket in my hometown. They make a 2' sub that I used to devour all of it along with chips. Now, I'll get half of that, and split it up into two separate meals.

Soda/Energy Drinks - I still have an energy drink addiction, but I opt for the zero calorie type now.

Cheese - I can go absolutely bananas over cheese. Now, I make sure to weigh it out as accurately as possible to make sure I'm within my calorie goals

Sweets - I don't eat much sweets, but Twix bars will ruin me if I have a bout of the sweet tooth. On the extremely rare occasion that it does hit though, I'll pick up a regular pack instead of the king sized.

The pattern here is that I haven't really cut out my favorite foods. I just eat smaller portions of them in less frequent intervals.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Freeoscar, I get what you mean about some people making it sound like they've found the magic weight loss key that allows them to eat anything they want and still lose weight. It is taking me a long time to come to terms with the fact that I can, indeed, eat anything I want and still lose weight, but I can't eat everything I want. I've had to give up chips and trail mix because a serving seems like a tease and doesn't satisfy. 11 carefully counted out and weighed chips leads to just one more, just one more, just one more until I've stuffed myself silly with chips and have gone over my calorie and sodium budgets. More often than not, I'm STILL not satisfied at that point.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    I stopped baking. I really love it, but I noticed that my kids would have a small slice of cake/couple of cookies, whatever, and my husband and I would eat the rest, and neither of us needed it. That helped. We used to have dessert regularly. Now we never do. If my boys want something, they make a smoothie.

I also stopped eating much bread/pasta/rice/potatoes. I have them sometimes, but realised I didn't miss them - I'm happy having my bolognese sauce topping a big bowl of salad so I take advantage of that.

I used to have a chocolate bar of some kind every day - sometimes a big one. I still need to have some kind of chocolate every day. I've tried the 'square of dark chocolate' thing but that doesn't work for me. I like junky milk chocolate, so I buy bags of fun-sized Smarties, Aeros, Kitkats and have one or two a day when I have a cup of tea.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    sevader wrote: »

Yeah, that's kind of....not what we're looking for.

More like the HOWS of fitting the food you love into a sensible deficit.

I read that as blatant trolling....
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    The foods I love, just no longer need to stuff and stuff them into my face until I physically feel my stomach pushing my pants outward and straining against buttons and I no longer have to make sure I get in EVERY food I love every day in large quantities.

I don't think "I eat all the foods I love" implies magic at all. It's obvious people are talking about those foods within their calorie goals (and/or other macro goals as desired; not me, though, I generally just watch my calorie total). It's especially obvious since I don't usually just see someone say "I eat anything I want," period, without any explanation at all to follow, to wit: "I just stay within my calorie goals."