Diet issue

Options
Hello Everyone! I am having a diet problem that I don't know how to fix. When I do not eat carbs, I get the shakes. It has been going on for a while, and I wasn't sure which food it was at first. But after testing myself I found out that it is when I do not have bread or something with my meal. It stinks because in the morning if I just want some egg whites and a fruit, I get these intense cravings that make my hands shake, and I feel really weak. Does anyone get this too and is there a name for this? Is it something biological? Its more then just a craving because I crave sweets also but I can ignore it and do not get the shakes and weakness.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why not just start adding some carbs into your meals?

ETA: Wait, I just caught that last sentence. You know sweets are carbs, right?
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Fruit is also almost all carbs so if you're eating egg whites and fruit you're getting plenty of carbs. It sounds like something more is going on than not getting enough carbs. What that might be, I have no idea.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much fruit you are eating, fruit and egg whites could be a very low calorie breakfast. As another poster pointed out, if you are eating fruit, you are getting carbohydrates. Are you sure this isn't a calorie issue and not a carb issue?
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    So, I just looked at your diary and you're eating nothing but carbs (and often nothing but refined sugar).

Get some protein and fiber in you!
  • applepie161987
    Options
    I should rephrase, when I don't eat bread I get the shakes.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am a carb addict but wanted to drop some weight quick so I did the South Beach diet. It cut out all carbs for two weeks. I had the shakes, headaches and was super tired until my body got used to it after a couple of days. After that I changed mostly to whole wheat and left the whites alone and have been fine. You probably need to add more protein and fiber to your diet!!
  • applepie161987
    Options
    I get so weak that I feel that I will pass out :-/ It's very intense. I do usually only have whole wheat.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I get so weak that I feel that I will pass out :-/ It's very intense. I do usually only have whole wheat.

So eat some bread. You've got calories leftover for it, and you could easily cut down on the high-calorie sugar-loaded snacks for some bread, or something like hummus and veggies which would be way more beneficial.
  • melanieliving
    melanieliving Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I am having a diet problem that I don't know how to fix. When I do not eat carbs, I get the shakes. It has been going on for a while, and I wasn't sure which food it was at first. But after testing myself I found out that it is when I do not have bread or something with my meal. It stinks because in the morning if I just want some egg whites and a fruit, I get these intense cravings that make my hands shake, and I feel really weak. Does anyone get this too and is there a name for this? Is it something biological? Its more then just a craving because I crave sweets also but I can ignore it and do not get the shakes and weakness.

You need carbs for quick burst energy, Do you eat enough fat and protein. Low carb and low fat together are disaster waiting to happen!
  • melanieliving
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, you aren't eating nearly enough protein (min 80g) and not enough fat to be a healthy low carb diet. Today you tracked a caramel coffee drink (sugar and carb), potato soup and had a potato with your steak for dinner. You aren't eating enough vegetables and if this is representative of your daily diet, you are missing vital nutrient, it's not wonder you get the shakes you are malnourished. Eat your veggies!!!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary you probably need more protein throughout the day. When you do eat protein at all it is usually in one meal. Hunk up some 2-3 oz grilled chicken breast (even good cold), hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt... Eat these in small portions throughout the day.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I should rephrase, when I don't eat bread I get the shakes.

Rephrase all you want, they've just told you the problem. It's not a lack of bread, it's a lack of a whole lot of things.
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    April fools?
  • melanieliving
    Options
    April fools?

I really hope so. Really committed to the gag.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Your protein grams on Monday were 9. And you think it is a bread issue?

If I don't hit 70g I feel l like crap. I don't even want to know what 9g is like.

Oh, and eat more. You have your calories set to 1500 for a reason. EAT THEM.

This has to be another April Fools joke?
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Hypoglycemia can cause the shaking and feeling of weakness. However, it shouldn't happen just because there are no carbs in your diet. Have you ever been tested for insulin resistance? Just curious because it sounds like your body is reliant upon it (so could be withdrawal symptoms, but that severe is kind of odd). Could it be psycho-somatic? Mind over body kind of thing?

How long can you actually go before you just can't function, and can you eat something else to temper the shaking feeling?

My suggestion would be to go get tested for diabetes. The fasting BG and hA1C should be indications of whether these are hypoglycemic fits or not.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    April fools?

I really hope so. Really committed to the gag.

Gearing up for it for days, by the looks of things.
  • melanieliving
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »

How long can you actually go before you just can't function, and can you eat something else to temper the shaking feeling?

My suggestion would be to go get tested for diabetes. The fasting BG and hA1C should be indications of whether these are hypoglycemic fits or not.

Seriously, if you are pre-diabetic what you are eating according to your diary is only making it worse. Book an appointment with your doctor discuss what is happening and change your diet, vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, full fat dairy, nuts and seeds, etc...
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Fruit is also almost all carbs so if you're eating egg whites and fruit you're getting plenty of carbs. It sounds like something more is going on than not getting enough carbs. What that might be, I have no idea.

I'd guess not enough calories. Egg whites would be maybe ~50 calories, fruit maybe 100-150 depending on the type and weight.

Also logging VLCD half of the time.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. I looked at your diary and you're not eating egg whites and fruit for breakfast. If I ate the diet you're eating I'd have the shakes too -- and I wouldn't stick to it for long. Eat eggs (including yolks) and fruit and it will sustain you longer. If you want bread, add a piece pf toast. Or eat cereal or oatmeal. There are tons of great options for breakfast that will work for you.