Options

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    freeoscar wrote: »
    First, I think most people would say 'if it fits in your calories AND macros' then eat it, so right there it means you are eating a well-balanced, 'healthy' diet. Second, the whole concept of 'chemical laced' is far from clear, outside of known carcinogens, and the knowledge is changing all the time (e.g. saccharine). A lot of it is not well based in science, and it just degrades into a mindless argument. For instance, we could probably ignite a 1000 comment post by comparing cane sugar to HFCS, to no constructive end.

yea thats true im not trying to start an argument because i dont deprive myself at all but whenever i see someone post "i had to give up cake" pretty much everyone chimes in as never give up the cake!

Because you don't need to give up the cake for any weight goal. Never give up the foods you love. That is how some people binge on said love food.

This. In the example cited above, people aren't saying "eat the cake" because eating cake is some sort of imperative to losing weight, nor are they excluding "health" from the equation. Generally, they are saying "eat the cake" because the poster has come on saying s/he is hanging on by a thread trying not to eat cake...and that is often a recipe for disaster and a backlash binge.

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This is only a weight loss website? Well I knew I was in the wrong place...

I need to stop watching the calorie count and stop eating what I want and less of it.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain weight should I leave :)
  • freeoscar
    freeoscar Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We strive to keep it simple, because many people beginning weight loss are overwhelmed and that can quickly stop their journey. You want to lose weight? Eat fewer calories than you use. Want a great tool to help you achieve that? Track your calories on MFP.
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I'm trying to gain weight should I leave :)

I think the OP may have mistakenly said "site" when he meant this board specifically, which is, after all, "General Diet and Weight Loss Help."

I disagree with his/her general sentiment but this one fact should be pretty obvious, at least IMO.

Unless I'm giving too much benefit of a doubt.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    April_fools!.gif
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Pick 10 random people, here or real life, doesn't matter. Ask them to define the difference between healthy and unhealthy food. See how many matching answers you get.

And this.

• racingislife97
    racingislife97 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    As pointed out, sure, you *could* eat 1400 calories (or whatever your target is) at McDonalds every day, or eat it in candy bars, or dogshit, or whatever. What keeps you from doing that, as long as you are meeting your targets, is the amount of McDonalds you can eat without blowing through your target. You wouldn't be eating very much....

That's what makes it self-regulating.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is it because of this no one really cares about "health". For example the over all consensus is "if it fits in your calories eat it" but is that healthy? Like yes i could eat taco bell everyday and fit it into my calories never get fat but is that healthy? no! I am pro fitting stuff into your calories and if i crave something i fit it in but it doesnt mean im being healthy. Is it because this is primarily weight loss that the over all health side of it is left out? Getting fat isnt the only risk to eating highly processed chemical laced fast food. Mean while i just ate a mcdonalds hash brown.. I am just asking not really challenging the theroy because as u can see im a "if it fits eat it".

There are few absolutes in life (death, taxes, something else I'm not remembering) but "healthy" isn't one of them. A healthy attitude toward food includes moderation. Eating a hash brown or having Taco Bell is not an inherently unhealthy behavior assuming it doesn't make up 100% of your diet. And who really has a diet made up 100% of those things? Nobody. And I've never seen any MFPer suggest it.

I wouldn't say nobody. I watched an episode of Extreme Weight loss (the Chris Powell show, where he helps people lose weight over the course of a year) and there was a lady who was eating Fast food for all of her meals. So some people do make 100% of their diet with that type of food. I don't think most MFP users do though.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nobody says eat nothing but Taco Bell all day every day (much as I'd like to). Those who say that also say to eat in moderation. We focus on nutrition first and foremost, but leave room for treats that work into both our calories and macros.

Plus there are a lot of people here who are gaining weight rather than losing, or eating in maintenance. So no, it is not a weight loss site.
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Is it because of this no one really cares about "health". For example the over all consensus is "if it fits in your calories eat it" but is that healthy? Like yes i could eat taco bell everyday and fit it into my calories never get fat but is that healthy? no! I am pro fitting stuff into your calories and if i crave something i fit it in but it doesnt mean im being healthy. Is it because this is primarily weight loss that the over all health side of it is left out? Getting fat isnt the only risk to eating highly processed chemical laced fast food. Mean while i just ate a mcdonalds hash brown.. I am just asking not really challenging the theroy because as u can see im a "if it fits eat it".

Because everyone has a different definition of "healthy"?

If you're craving something and fit it in, it doesn't automatically mean you're being healthy, but it doesn't automatically mean you're being unhealthy, either.

There is also the factor to consider that eating Taco Bell once in a while but losing steadily and reducing various obesity-related health issues (for some people) IS probably more healthy than eating organic Brazil nuts grown in non-depleted soils and watered with the tears of virgin mermaids, at an excess of calories, keeping one very overweight with whatever his/her weight-related health issues are. Being able to stay within one's calorie goals because you're not depriving yourself CAN lead to better health in the long run - and many people are quite healthy while eating your examples of "highly processed chemical-laced fast food."

It's impossible to pinpoint one definition of "healthy" and have everyone agree on it.

Exactly this. Also, the "tears of virgin mermaids" line really cracked me up. :smiley:
  • LAWoman72
    Options
    As pointed out, sure, you *could* eat 1400 calories (or whatever your target is) at McDonalds every day, or eat it in candy bars, or dogshit, or whatever. What keeps you from doing that, as long as you are meeting your targets, is the amount of McDonalds you can eat without blowing through your target. You wouldn't be eating very much....

I wonder how many calories are in dogshit?

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    April_fools!.gif
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Pick 10 random people, here or real life, doesn't matter. Ask them to define the difference between healthy and unhealthy food. See how many matching answers you get.

And this.

April Fools. That would explain the amount of BB "coaches" pestering me today.

• adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I wonder how many calories are in dogshit?

Depends on what the dog ate.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Let's keep in mind that while there are many people who utilize MFP in weight loss, it is NOT a weight loss website. There are several people here to maintain weight, gain weight, or just for general health.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    In for peeps?!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    just asking when people say they "eat clean" which idk what that even means they generally dont get the best responses lol

What "eating clean" means is contentious. For example, what a vegan would answer vs. the 100% carnivore sub-group of paleos would say.

My current conception of food-thinking priorities:
    1. calories
    2. macros
    3. micros
    4. everything else

It's best to lock down this stuff in order, top-down. People run into endless problems when they get it backwards, IMO.

You can't be bug-eyed raving about organic locally-sourced raspberry ketones while eating 5000 calories a day as a 4'11" person and thinking you're being healthy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Are you talking about whatever fits your cals, or IIFYM?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    In for peeps?!

200.gif
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    its a big big world, welcome to it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    In for peeps?!

Oh man, I keep forgetting to buy Peeps for Easter. We just taught my dad about microwaving them last year and now he's obsessed.