Coffee!!!

Options

Replies

• hanymamdouh
    hanymamdouh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Coffee...the magic word. I'm totally addicted to coffee, I drink 5 cups daily of Colombian coffee beans made by Turkish way. I like it without any additions or sugar, only coffee!!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    When I was in the military, most coffee available out in the field was just black instant coffee - so I got used to drinking it black, and have ever since. So my coffee essentially is just water with a handful of calories, I don't even think about the quantity I drink; except for protein shakes, I drink as few calories as possible, as solid food calories are much more filling.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I have black coffee 9 times out of 10. But once in a while I'll make a latte with a moka pot. I usually use whole milk, sometimes 2%. Froth the milk with a little $3 battery operated milk frother...but you can use a french press to froth just as easily, or a jar. No sugar. If I want it sweet...sometimes I do, sometimes I don't...I'll add stevia. If I really want to get "fancy", I'll add unsweetened cocoa powder first and make a mocha.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I reserve about a half cup of milk for coffee every day--when the milk is gone, the coffee is done. I generally use about two tablespoons of milk in a cup of coffee, plus sweetener. I'm not European, but I don't "get" the whole high-calorie dessert-type coffee, either.

Where does one find a battery-operated milk frother? It sounds interesting for days that I have extra calories--I do miss having the odd cafe au lait. :)
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I add unsweetened cashew milk and Equal to my coffee. Negligible added calories, but still creamy and sweet, like I like it. I greatly prefer the cashew milk over almond milk--the almond flavor can be quite strong when hot, but the cashew flavor blends quite nicely. Sometimes I'll use coconut milk. It blends nicely, but it is a bit higher calorie.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I LOVE coffee but I hate spending all the money on Starbucks and it's sooo many cals/sugar. So I will allow myself a treat (on Saturdays) a Starbuck's Iced coffee (w/white mocha and toffee nut).

During the week..
    Brew my own starbucks. I use International's caramel creamer fat free/sugar free (aka chemicals) but it's only 15 calories for 15 grams (mls) and I'll add 10 grams of fat free whipped cream if I'm feeling risky. It's not AS good but it gets me through.

There is a paleo creamer recipe but it's not as sweet unless you're adding raw sugar or honey/agave. Also, Trader Joe's has some pretty decent tasting, healthy (1-2 ingredient) creamers as well.

I love my coffee.
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel! I definitely drink 3-4 cups of coffee per day, mostly black with some milk added. I love drinking a cup of black coffee before a morning work out too, It gives me a great burst of energy to get going!

I slowly transitioned to drinking my coffee black too. If I am going to buy myself coffee at a coffee shop I will treat myself with steamed milk on top. I recommend starting with americanos! You can add flavor and milk to them, but since they are made with water you will save on the extra calories. After some time try it without any sweetener. I love getting an americano with steamed soy on top. If I am at home like others have mentioned I will buy good quality coffee and it tastes so good black. :smile: You can do it!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I dropped cream in my coffee almost 2 years ago, there are days I do add a splash but most times I drink it black it's not something most people can just switch to if you like the cream and sugar but the higher quality coffee really is good black.

I didn't see anyone else mention this but molasses is a good addition to coffee, love to mix some in when the coffee is hot and then pour over ice later in the day, adds a sweetness that sugar, honey and flavored creamers can't reproduce.

I also make up my own cappucino mix, recipes are all over the net. When ordering out I always opt for the skinny versions, because that's what I like but it's all personal preference. If you like your coffee, it fits in your day then why worry about it as long as you're drinking straight up water too and not just all day coffee.
  • amw1919
    amw1919 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When you do go to Starbucks I recommend the tall skinny vanilla latte. Really good and only 100 calories. Not bad comparatively.
  • s1lv3rFox
    s1lv3rFox Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee addict too. Why do You want to quit? Powdered creamer is 10 calories per teaspoon and one packet of splenda is how I drink mine.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Coffee...I love the smell, the taste, the ritual...but lately it is not loving me back. And caffiene doesn't really give me a kick, it just aggitates me and makes my heart race (apparently this is a genetic thing..some people feel great and some people feel lousey). Plus I drank black coffee, LOTS of it all through my teens and twenties so black just makes my stomach acid boil over. This doesn't necessarily give you the answer you want but I would recomend adding raw whole cream. It's not lower in calories but your body will process the unpastuerized dairy differently and you'll actually get some good nutrition with your coffee. I would steer clear of non-diary creamers with thier nasty artificial flavors, preservatives and transfats.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I used to have to have coffee or I would have a throbbing headache by noon. I started drinking black tea, and then green tea, slowly reducing my caffeine addiction. It's worked great so far and I'm not reliable on it anymore. I still have my cappucinos as a treat a few times per week. :smile:
  • jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    There are awesome Starbucks drinks that don't contain a lot of calories and/or sugar. Try doing iced coffee with less pumps of the syrup (I like one pump of mocha), and then add your own creamer so you can control how much. Baristas can get a little heavy handed with the half and half; or ask for non-fat or 2% milk instead. If you're craving something hot, and you usually get flavored latte's, go with a nonfat caffe misto. It's half coffee, half steamed milk and add a pump or two of your favorite flavored syrup. Both of these drinks will give you the caffeine boost you're looking for without all of the "crap".
  • webrat_jen
    webrat_jen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    if you grind your coffee beans, you can add cocoa nibs to the grinder and get a smooth, less bitter drink from the resulting grounds. its no-where near as sweet as hot chocolate, but it has some of the rich elements of cocoa beans, which might be a suitable low cal, low fat, low sugar substitute for you to try?
  • jbgibso3
    jbgibso3 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I reserve about a half cup of milk for coffee every day--when the milk is gone, the coffee is done. I generally use about two tablespoons of milk in a cup of coffee, plus sweetener. I'm not European, but I don't "get" the whole high-calorie dessert-type coffee, either.

Where does one find a battery-operated milk frother? It sounds interesting for days that I have extra calories--I do miss having the odd cafe au lait. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Frother-Electric-Coffee-Handheld-Lightweight/dp/B00QG1IJ8W/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1427918242&sr=1-8&keywords=best+milk+frother
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go to SB I get an Americano with sugar free hazelnut and add cream or an iced sugar free mocha made with whole milk which is only 150ish calories.
  • 2muchfnsugar
    2muchfnsugar Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I MUST have coffee, but just can't bring myself to drink it black. I just count the additional calories and go on. It's a necessary evil, although Splenda is making it's way in. Just try to stay away from Starbucks and Micky D's frappes and caramel mochas. It's not that hard.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will often put a little cinnamon in the basket before I brew. Flavored coffee at a fraction of the price.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    HOLD UP.

Girl, I have the solution to your problems.

Cold brewed coffee. Not iced coffee from Starbucks, that is just hot coffee cooled down by shocking it with ice.

Cold brewed coffee is made from freshly ground beans steeped in cold water for 12-16 hours and yields a less acidic, smooth, rich, final product. It's also...more caffeinated...haha. It's way easier on the stomach than hot coffee, too.

No sweetener needed. Tastes great black. But you could add a little cream to make the flavor more mild.

Find a local cafe that makes cold brew the right way, or look into how to make it yourself. It's easy. All you need is a large mason jar/container and a way to filter the coffee after it's steeped overnight or whatever.

I will never ever ever ever go back to crappy starbucks sugar-loaded drinks on the regular, because cold brew is sooo much better.

Oh, and it has next to zero calories...... naturally.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ALSO see if you can find black cold brew bottled anywhere near you. Look for Stumptown Coffee, perhaps. We have a local brand called Uel Zing where I live :)