Have tried everything. Don't know what I'm doing wrong?

Options
Hey all, I really need some advice and help.
Since January my weight difference has only been down 4lbs. Some weeks it drops 2lbs-3lbs, while other weeks it's up 1lb-5lbs <-- Been happening a lot recently.
I have tried everything possible.

I am proud to say I have lost 20lbs! And all that was without excersice. But I was plateauing so I knew I had to start incorporating exercise to see the scale go down again. But even after that I am still seeing no results. In fact the weeks I work out I see weight gain. I know a lot of people say it's just muscle... But I'm not doing weight training. Also I can see clothes getting tighter as well. I'm just really scared the weight will creep back and I'll be left back at square one. Please help!

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    When you start a new exercise routine, increase intensity, increase frequency, and the like, your muscles may retain water to help them heal up. Like, several pounds of water. It comes back off, so please do not stop exercising for fear of gaining weight... it's water, not fat or muscle.

Weight also fluctuates as part of just being a normal human being. Your weight is really a range, not one number. Exercise changes, sleep changes, digestion, sodium intake, carb intake, hydration levels, time of day, what you've recently eaten/drank, what you're wearing, where you are in your monthly cycle, and so on, can all affect your scale weight. Weigh in the mornings, after using the toilet, before consuming anything, unclothed, if possible. This will give you more comparable numbers... but you'll still see fluctuations. Keeping track though can help you see the overall trend!

Since your ticker looks to be wrong, how many more lbs are you aiming to lose? You may need to accept that a reasonable rate is more like 0.5 lb to 1 lb per week, depending on how much you've got to lose.

Do you weigh your food on a food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think. Same if you're eating out a lot, or eating foods prepared by others. The more potential errors, the more likely it is that if you're seeing no losses when you WOULD expect to see losses, that your food intake numbers are lower in your log than they actually were.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    sosoangel wrote: »
    Hey all, I really need some advice and help.
    Since January my weight difference has only been down 4lbs. Some weeks it drops 2lbs-3lbs, while other weeks it's up 1lb-5lbs <-- Been happening a lot recently.
    I have tried everything possible.

I am proud to say I have lost 20lbs! And all that was without excersice. But I was plateauing so I knew I had to start incorporating exercise to see the scale go down again. But even after that I am still seeing no results. In fact the weeks I work out I see weight gain. I know a lot of people say it's just muscle... But I'm not doing weight training. Also I can see clothes getting tighter as well. I'm just really scared the weight will creep back and I'll be left back at square one. Please help!

Have you reduced your calorie goal since losing 20 pounds?
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are eating at maintance if your weight is hovering around the same spot. Eat less food to create a deficit to meet your goals.
  • sosoangel
    sosoangel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When you start a new exercise routine, increase intensity, increase frequency, and the like, your muscles may retain water to help them heal up. Like, several pounds of water. It comes back off, so please do not stop exercising for fear of gaining weight... it's water, not fat or muscle.

Weight also fluctuates as part of just being a normal human being. Your weight is really a range, not one number. Exercise changes, sleep changes, digestion, sodium intake, carb intake, hydration levels, time of day, what you've recently eaten/drank, what you're wearing, where you are in your monthly cycle, and so on, can all affect your scale weight. Weigh in the mornings, after using the toilet, before consuming anything, unclothed, if possible. This will give you more comparable numbers... but you'll still see fluctuations. Keeping track though can help you see the overall trend!

Since your ticker looks to be wrong, how many more lbs are you aiming to lose? You may need to accept that a reasonable rate is more like 0.5 lb to 1 lb per week, depending on how much you've got to lose.

Do you weigh your food on a food scale? If not, you may be eating more than you think. Same if you're eating out a lot, or eating foods prepared by others. The more potential errors, the more likely it is that if you're seeing no losses when you WOULD expect to see losses, that your food intake numbers are lower in your log than they actually were.

I do not weigh my food. I am Indian and we eat a lot of Indian food which makes it extremely hard to calculate and log. In those cases I try to log more calories than less. I do not eat out a lot. I try to keep that to once a week and I will eat something that I know exactly what's in it and how many calories.
    I weigh myself once a week before eating anything and after using the restroom
  • brookesdsu
    brookesdsu Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you are not weighing your food and not losing weight then you are eating more than you think you are.
  • sosoangel
    Options

I was actually thinking about that the other day. Do I need to do that manually? Or does MFP do that automatically? And I wasn't sure if I had lost enough for it to reduce.

• BetterKimmer
    BetterKimmer Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Head over to IIFYM.com and use the calculators to figure out your needs. Calorically and for macros. Then get brutally honest about what you eat (hardest part!), weighing and measuring EVERYTHING, staying within your calories. Go heavy on your proteins and moderate carbs and fats. Choose less calories dense food if you tend to be hungry a lot, it will give you a lot of volume in your tummy to keeping you full while keeping calories down. I am a person who was in the same boat as you. Then I started lifting weights while eating better and in control. I have lost 80lbs and reshaped my body in the last 2 years. This lifestyle does work if you consistently live it. Oh!, and keep educating yourself on how all the rest of us "success stories" got to where we are and incorporate all you can.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options

I was actually thinking about that the other day. Do I need to do that manually? Or does MFP do that automatically? And I wasn't sure if I had lost enough for it to reduce.

MFP suggested that I recalculate my calorie goal (it gave me a button to click to do that) when I dropped 10 lbs.

• happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Also, you're not gaining muscle by your workouts. Even with an intense lifting schedule, it's extremely hard for a woman to gain more than 5 or so lbs of muscle per year. We simply do not have the testosterone to do so.

A food scale would be your best investment. It appears that you are eating either at, or slightly above, maintenance :)

Good luck!
  • Beccajayn
    Beccajayn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know that you say it is hard to weigh your food, but have you found the recipe section? Click on the food like you are going to enter a food. Once there, on the dark blue strip across the top of the page there is a spot that says recipes. Click on it. On that page, under the "import recipe" box there is small blue writing that says Add Recipe Manually. It is well worth your time to put in your recipe... maybe you don't use exact recipes every time, but measure what you usually use and write it down. Measure the finished product, and divide that into the size servings you eat. It will tell you the calorie count. It is definitely worth the effort to enter your own foods there. When I did, I found that in just one dinner roll that I make here at home I have 30 more calories than I had been marking down for it. Hope this all makes sense to you. I don't usually post on here, but I just figured this out recently and it is so helpful for me. Good luck.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Help I have tried TRIED EVERYTHiNG ..... No I don't weigh my food. Facepalm

• SophiaSerrao
    SophiaSerrao Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Beccajayn wrote: »
    I know that you say it is hard to weigh your food, but have you found the recipe section? Click on the food like you are going to enter a food. Once there, on the dark blue strip across the top of the page there is a spot that says recipes. Click on it. On that page, under the "import recipe" box there is small blue writing that says Add Recipe Manually. It is well worth your time to put in your recipe... maybe you don't use exact recipes every time, but measure what you usually use and write it down. Measure the finished product, and divide that into the size servings you eat. It will tell you the calorie count. It is definitely worth the effort to enter your own foods there. When I did, I found that in just one dinner roll that I make here at home I have 30 more calories than I had been marking down for it. Hope this all makes sense to you. I don't usually post on here, but I just figured this out recently and it is so helpful for me. Good luck.

For what it's worth, I'm very glad you mentioned this feature! It's exactly what I need for homemade dishes with lots of ingredients. That way I can be really thorough ONCE and enter everything all measured and weighed to the detail, figure out how many portions come out of it... and from then on use that as glorious reference for all future inputs. Luvit!!! So yeah, thanks ;)

OP, I think the first pounds one looses are the easiest... and I think that's the case with your 20. That is not a small amount, so very well done! = )

Having said that, i guess it's time for you to tighten up the game. Mainly through being more conscious about how many calories you consume. Plus, I think working out harder would compliment great with that. Also, read all the stickies in this forum... there's very good info there. Good luck!

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So you've lost 20 lbs since January... which is approx 12 weeks. That averages out to about 1.5+ lbs/week. Where's the problem? How long has it been since you haven't lost weight? If you're still losing weight, then you haven't plateau'd. You should only be concerned if it's been 4-6 weeks with no change... which it doesn't sound like it has been, considering the time frame.

Remember that weight loss isn't linear.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Just change your goal to maintenance and then back to what ever your weight loss goal is now.

It will recalculate the calories. So you don't have to wait for mfp to do it automatically.
  • sosoangel
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    So you've lost 20 lbs since January... which is approx 12 weeks. That averages out to about 1.5+ lbs/week. Where's the problem? How long has it been since you haven't lost weight? If you're still losing weight, then you haven't plateau'd. You should only be concerned if it's been 4-6 weeks with no change... which it doesn't sound like it has been, considering the time frame.

Remember that weight loss isn't linear.

I lost 20lbs before January. Since January I have only seen a 4lb diffence.
  • sosoangel
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

Just change your goal to maintenance and then back to what ever your weight loss goal is now.

It will recalculate the calories. So you don't have to wait for mfp to do it automatically.

Thank you :)
  • sosoangel
    Options
    Head over to IIFYM.com and use the calculators to figure out your needs. Calorically and for macros. Then get brutally honest about what you eat (hardest part!), weighing and measuring EVERYTHING, staying within your calories. Go heavy on your proteins and moderate carbs and fats. Choose less calories dense food if you tend to be hungry a lot, it will give you a lot of volume in your tummy to keeping you full while keeping calories down. I am a person who was in the same boat as you. Then I started lifting weights while eating better and in control. I have lost 80lbs and reshaped my body in the last 2 years. This lifestyle does work if you consistently live it. Oh!, and keep educating yourself on how all the rest of us "success stories" got to where we are and incorporate all you can.

Thank you very much!
    I do have a lot to lose I will start with cardio for now and when ready go right in to weight training! I do love weight training but numerous people have told me to hold off on that till I have lost a good portion of weight. I've been going by that... Thinking I may need to reevaluate things.
    Appreciate the advice/post!
  • sosoangel
    Options

For what it's worth, I'm very glad you mentioned this feature! It's exactly what I need for homemade dishes with lots of ingredients. That way I can be really thorough ONCE and enter everything all measured and weighed to the detail, figure out how many portions come out of it... and from then on use that as glorious reference for all future inputs. Luvit!!! So yeah, thanks ;)

OP, I think the first pounds one looses are the easiest... and I think that's the case with your 20. That is not a small amount, so very well done! = )

Having said that, i guess it's time for you to tighten up the game. Mainly through being more conscious about how many calories you consume. Plus, I think working out harder would compliment great with that. Also, read all the stickies in this forum... there's very good info there. Good luck!

Your absolutely right, the first pounds do come off the easiest. I'm just REALLY trying to find out what works best for me. I'm eagerly trying to figure out what exactly my body needs to see weight loss again.
  • sosoangel
    Options
    Beccajayn wrote: »

Makes perfect sense. I know exactly what your talking about. That is indeed very helpful. This will def come in handy for my dinners when I have Indian food.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,925 Member
    Options
    Hi OP:

Forgive me if I show ignorance; but, from what I know of Indian food there are a couple of areas worth watching out for!

First to mind is ghee or oil used in home cooked recipes! How much oil are you using in your home cooked recipes? Have you checked to see how many calories that adds up to?

Then look at the total amount of complete/completed protein you are eating, and especially if you're vegetarian and also cutting down on the roti or rice you're eating with your meals, are you still getting all the amino acids that you need?

Last but not least... multiple cups of chai with a few gulab jamun and jalebis; maybe not every day : - )