Options
gravenhale
gravenhale Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2015 in Getting Started
I tried doing 1200 for the first time today. I was quite hungry, does it get easier?

Replies

• gravenhale
    edited March 2015
    Options
    :)
  • tattooedmomma93b
    tattooedmomma93b Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It does!!I've been at 1220 for 2 weeks, I started at that and ive stayed with it. The trick is to eat low calorie things that fill you up. Aldo snack throughout the day to keep metabolism up and help curb appetite
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It does!!I've been at 1220 for 2 weeks, I started at that and ive stayed with it. The trick is to eat low calorie things that fill you up. Aldo snack throughout the day to keep metabolism up and help curb appetite

Your metabolism never stops working and cannot be 'kept up', but that is a good tip for curbing appetite, yes.

OP, chances are that you could lose weight eating more than that. What are your stats? Height, weight and how much you want to lose. :smile:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    1200 calories or less is how some of us spent most of our lives finding it impossible to keep the weight off long term. Don't do it if you don't really need to. Eat as much as you can but losing the weight.
  • MinxyNZ
    MinxyNZ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hey OP, I have just completed day four and whilst I am still getting hunger pangs, it seemed much easier today. Stay positive, drink PLENTY of water (I have one glass either with my meal or chasing a meal to help feel fuller), get plenty of sleep and play hard! :D Add me if you want a buddy on here.
  • LoeshaElizabeth
    LoeshaElizabeth Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i on 1200 because im only 4ft 11 and i dont find it too hard because like previously said eating little and often and drinking lots of water keeps you full and i find choosing the right foods alot easier when not ridiculously hungry. eating out or at a friends can be difficult as finding a meal under 500kcal can be difficult. I also try and work out around 400kcal a day from walking, swimming, 7 min workout challenge and some strength training so that gives me a little leniency in the calorie department. Finally making sure u have the right amount of protein keeps you feeling fuller for longer. I just reached 5 weeks and ive so far lost 8lb (had already lost 4 befor starting mfp) feel free to add me :)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I suggest you look at people on here OP that have maintained their weight loss long term and follow their example.
  • gravenhale
    Options

Your metabolism never stops working and cannot be 'kept up', but that is a good tip for curbing appetite, yes.

OP, chances are that you could lose weight eating more than that. What are your stats? Height, weight and how much you want to lose. :smile:

I'm 5'4, around 55kg, want to get to around 50kg :) and thank you everyone for the tips!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    gravenhale wrote: »

I'm 5'4, around 55kg, want to get to around 50kg :) and thank you everyone for the tips!
    Maybe this is why.
    You're already very slim!
    Maybe you just need to tone up, rather than lose weight.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    1200 is MFP's lowest minimum default. That number could be appropriate for your age and size (senior and/or very petite), or that number could be the result of an overly aggressive weekly weight loss goal. As you get closer to goal, the weekly loss should be slower (to help preserve lean muscle).

When you get to 10-15 pounds of goal....1/2 pound is a good goal.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I made just a couple changes to make 1200 calories do-able. I eat a small breakfast and now drink a little coffee. Coffee seems to fill me up a bit. I also cut way back on the calories I eat at lunch. A large can of soup is very filling and just about 200 calories total (depending on the kind). Then I have a snack around 4:00 which is about 200 calories. Then a 500 calorie or so dinner. I'm new to this, but if you want to see my food log, it's open.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    this thread gives me the sadz...why would you purposefully eat so little food when you don't have to?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You're young, have little (to none) to lose and are eating at nearly TDEE -30%. That's why you're so hungry. Your calorie goal is extremely aggressive for someone your ht/wt.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    You're young, have little (to none) to lose and are eating at nearly TDEE -30%. That's why you're so hungry. Your calorie goal is extremely aggressive for someone your ht/wt.
    This.

You can eat more and lose weight, so why wouldn't you want to?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    this thread gives me the sadz...why would you purposefully eat so little food when you don't have to?

Sigh. Yes.
    RGv2 wrote: »

Thank you for pointing this out.

OP - why the 1200 calorie limit?
  • gravenhale
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have actually bumped up my calorie goal to 1500 because I was too hungry. Even that isn't much, but I don't beat myself up if I go a little over. I guess I want to lose weight because I don't like how my body looks a lot of the time when I look in the mirror. I also get bloated a lot, which doesn't help. I am exercising, eating healthy foods and trying not to be too hard on myself though. :)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Perhaps instead of dropping your calories focus on the exercise side of things to change your shape? :)
  • Mechanised
    Options
    Quite some suggestions here and here is mine;

So not focus solely on your calories. It is only an overall indication. Your planning should be based on your training schedule and daily life. Times you eat carbs and fats, your antioxidant levels, vitamin and mineral levels et cetera all are as important.

For example, studies have shown that having more fat in the morning and more carb afternoon helps a bit more to fat burning processes. You can try not consuming carb after a certain hour and no solid meal in the evening to enhance your fat burnt.

This is something I can talk all day but all in all it is the small adjustmenta that gives you that small push you are looking for...
  • RGv2
    Options
    gravenhale wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I have actually bumped up my calorie goal to 1500 because I was too hungry. Even that isn't much, but I don't beat myself up if I go a little over. I guess I want to lose weight because I don't like how my body looks a lot of the time when I look in the mirror. I also get bloated a lot, which doesn't help. I am exercising, eating healthy foods and trying not to be too hard on myself though. :)

What does your training regimine look like? Can you please provide that? Also, now that you indicate that you are exercising, are you eating 1200-1500 net or gross calories.

If you don't think you pass the "mirror test", at your ht/wt/age you don't really need to lose weight per se. What you want is a body recomp, because you don't really need to lose weight. What you're looking for is a lower BF%. Eating at a deficit to lose weight means loss of fat, water, AND muscle. Eat at a smaller deficit, get on a solid weight training program, and do cardio if you like it. What this will do is help you maintain muscle mass while dropping mainly fat and water. This strips the fat from the muscle you're maintaining giving you more muscle definition. The scale may not drop very fast, but you should be able to see your progress in the mirror.
  • RGv2
    Options
    Mechanised wrote: »
    Quite some suggestions here and here is mine;

So not focus solely on your calories. It is only an overall indication. Your planning should be based on your training schedule and daily life. Times you eat carbs and fats, your antioxidant levels, vitamin and mineral levels et cetera all are as important.

For example, studies have shown that having more fat in the morning and more carb afternoon helps a bit more to fat burning processes. You can try not consuming carb after a certain hour and no solid meal in the evening to enhance your fat burnt.

This is something I can talk all day but all in all it is the small adjustmenta that gives you that small push you are looking for...

Care to provide any of those studies?