kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This post is going to help me a lot B) thanks
  • Laurafoxx81
    Laurafoxx81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Yes...this. ^^^

What's your reason for not liking #4? My reply to him is that if diet is on point you don't need much cardio. You can add more, but it isn't necessarily helpful. All good programs should include some cardio. I also said that food logging should be accurate, but it isn't always and doing cardio can help make up for inaccuracy (like going out to eat, the dishes can vary up to 500 calories depending on restaurant).

Jumping back in, so tell me how it is not necessarily helpful.

Please explain that to me?

So go by just the rough average of say 100 cals burned per mile.

Say 10 minute miles (which we could say the average person could pull off)

Say they go for 40 minutes everyday.

That would equate to 400 cals extra burned.

Most people wouldn't come close to burning through their glycogen stores in 45 minutes. Assuming they are not sprinting for 45 minutes. So your precious muscles stay in tact and not used for energy AND you get the added bonus of 400 cals burned.

Oh, let's not forget all the added cardio bonus' you get to enjoy in the gym because of your cardio runs.

What is bizarre is your recommendation really REALLY heavy on the protein macro ratio then scared to death of the cardio monster.

What I find more funny than anything is the fact you have the usmc title in your name and you know damn well you wouldn't have anywhere close to the body you have now without all the fun cardio they made you do.

Other than that, two thumbs up.

Yeah I totally agree with this... cardio is important.. I didn't excerice at all... I started the gym 2 weeks ago & do at least an hour cardio 3 times a week & it's working :)

@Laurafoxx81 You're more active, which is going to help. Doing that much cardio isn't necessary for fat loss. I hope you will consider some form of resistance/strength training as stated in my original post to ensure your weight loss comes from mostly fat.

Im not too bothered about loosing weight..I'm doing it more for toning so will that work? I also do rowing machine..bikes and stair master (free climber machine)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

Yes...this. ^^^

What's your reason for not liking #4? My reply to him is that if diet is on point you don't need much cardio. You can add more, but it isn't necessarily helpful. All good programs should include some cardio. I also said that food logging should be accurate, but it isn't always and doing cardio can help make up for inaccuracy (like going out to eat, the dishes can vary up to 500 calories depending on restaurant).

Most people wouldn't come close to burning through their glycogen stores in 45 minutes. Assuming they are not sprinting for 45 minutes. So your precious muscles stay in tact and not used for energy AND you get the added bonus of 400 cals burned.

Oh, let's not forget all the added cardio bonus' you get to enjoy in the gym because of your cardio runs.

What is bizarre is your recommendation really REALLY heavy on the protein macro ratio then scared to death of the cardio monster.

What I find more funny than anything is the fact you have the usmc title in your name and you know damn well you wouldn't have anywhere close to the body you have now without all the fun cardio they made you do.

Yeah I totally agree with this... cardio is important.. I didn't excerice at all... I started the gym 2 weeks ago & do at least an hour cardio 3 times a week & it's working :)

@Laurafoxx81 You're more active, which is going to help. Doing that much cardio isn't necessary for fat loss. I hope you will consider some form of resistance/strength training as stated in my original post to ensure your weight loss comes from mostly fat.

Im not too bothered about loosing weight..I'm doing it more for toning so will that work? I also do rowing machine..bikes and stair master (free climber machine)

Cardio doesn't "tone". Tone is the result of lower body fat (which is achieved through diet and cardio) as well as having adequate lean mass (which is a result of resistance/strength training). Your workouts are almost completely cardio, so if you want the toned look you may need to think about lifting.
  • Laurafoxx81
    Laurafoxx81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Yes...this. ^^^

Cardio doesn't "tone". Tone is the result of lower body fat (which is achieved through diet and cardio) as well as having adequate lean mass (which is a result of resistance/strength training). Your workouts are almost completely cardio, so if you want the toned look you may need to think about lifting.

So im really new to excerice. . So what lifting should I be doing lol ( sorry if that sounds stupid I'm don't know much about the gym :/.)
  • usmcmp
    Options

Yes...this. ^^^

So im really new to excerice. . So what lifting should I be doing lol ( sorry if that sounds stupid I'm don't know much about the gym :/.)

You can check out New Rules of Lifting for Women or Stronglifts or Bodybuilding.com has a bunch of free programs with videos for everything.
  • shizzlenitts
    shizzlenitts Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Really like this Thread. Very informative for people that are unsure of where to start or how to maintain/proceed with weight loss and body composition.
    I’ve been Personal Training for since 2001 and i love the support this thread gives.

Just to drop my 2 cents in. I’ve guineapig’d a lot of training regimes including most of your @ home fitness ie Tapout/Insanity/P90X etc. and tried a lot of supplements over the years. I am currently on the leangains.com regime and it seems to be amazing. It really uncomplicated a lot of diet/exercise issues.
    Check it out if you get time
  • monicaashley668
    monicaashley668 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been doing cardio and muscle training but none in my abdominal, I am still embarrassed that people will look at me and laugh. I just had a baby 3 months ago and I am currently slimming down towards 178 pounds I am also 5'2" which is way too much weight for my body. I want a flat tummy but I don't believe its possible anymore due to how much my belly stretched out from my pregnancy, I have awful stretch marks and I don't know what to do. I really want a flat tummy though will these steps work for me?
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I have been doing cardio and muscle training but none in my abdominal, I am still embarrassed that people will look at me and laugh. I just had a baby 3 months ago and I am currently slimming down towards 178 pounds I am also 5'2" which is way too much weight for my body. I want a flat tummy but I don't believe its possible anymore due to how much my belly stretched out from my pregnancy, I have awful stretch marks and I don't know what to do. I really want a flat tummy though will these steps work for me?

3 months is not very long after giving birth. It took you 9 months to stretch your body out to carry your wee one, give it some time to move itself into its new normal.

Stretch marks may fade over time. Moisturizing will help a little with both the marks and the stretched skin, but, unfortunately, a lot of that mummy tummy that never goes away is genetic and at the cellular level. (The collagen and elastin content of your skin determines how much it "bounces back," and we all have variable levels...and it goes down as you age)

The steps usmcmp lays out are the steps that will "work" for everyone. We won't all get the same results because we all live in different bodies. But, her advice is good for everyone, male and female, post-pregnancy or no. People with medical limitations will need to adapt, but the principles of losing body fat and building/strengthening your overall musculature are rock solid.

When you say you are doing "muscle training," what do you mean? You don't need to do tons of dedicated ab work like crunches if you are doing compound lifts...the compound lifts will give you lots of core strength if your form is good.
  • monicaashley668
    monicaashley668 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have just been using the machines to strengthen my arms and shoulders I don't know If that helps my core out though
  • HeySwoleSister
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Machines aren't as good as free weights because they isolate specific muscles rather than engaging whole chains of muscle groups.

Look in to the free weight programs usmcmp recommended. (Strong Lifts 5x5, New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting Strength, Strong Curves) You will get a more effective workout by using these programs because you will be strengthening not just your arms and shoulders, but your legs and back and core and bum.

(And, as a busy mum, you will be so happy to get so much of your body worked out in a basic program. It's a super time saver over the plan that a gym might try to sell you...machine circuits that take an hour to complete? NAH.)
  • usmcmp
    Options

I had two babies. While I was obese. I stayed obese for another two years before making changes that stick. I didn't learn the steps I listed until the last few years. The steps in this thread work, even for moms.

The stretch marks will always be there. They will fade over time. You may end up with extra skin (I still have extra skin that tucks into my underwear). It is possible to have a flat stomach after having kids and those of us who have had kids will find strength training even more valuable.

Skip the machines and go to the free weights. Bodybuilding.com has some great programs (you may like this one as a beginner http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html ) or use one of the others mentioned. Working just upper body isn't going to get you the progress you want. Our legs require stabilization of the core, plus they are large muscles. That means you get more for your core out of working them.
  • SlaughterHouseFive
    SlaughterHouseFive Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Yes...this. ^^^

Well said mate.

Not to mention overweight people generally have poor stamina and endurance. Cardio is great for your heart, lungs and blood flow. Which means any physical activity you do gets easier, from walking to the train station to having way better sex. Seriously guys it is unbelievable, what improved blood flow and stamina will do for your sexual activities.

Also I completely agree on the way over the top protein macro.
  • usmcmp
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yes...this. ^^^

Well said mate.

Not to mention overweight people generally have poor stamina and endurance. Cardio is great for your heart, lungs and blood flow. Which means any physical activity you do gets easier, from walking to the train station to having way better sex. Seriously guys it is unbelievable, what improved blood flow and stamina will do for your sexual activities.

I already addressed this (on page 2, where you quoted it from), so feel free to go back and read that response or the others through the other 41 pages that address the same things.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Yes...this. ^^^

Well said mate.

Not to mention you don't need to necessarily be categorized as "overweight" to be someone who is after a "nice stomach"
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yes...this. ^^^

Well said mate.

What if you are not overweight?

It's amazing what lifting can do also....and the sex thing....does muscles doe....

I detest cardio..totally detest it. I would rather eat less - or just lift more and go for more walks. [Also, where did the 'scared to death of the cardio monster' and the whole 'precious muscles staying in tact(sp)' come from in the prior post in the quote?

• HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

Yes...this. ^^^

Well said mate.

It's amazing what lifting can do also....and the sex thing....does muscles doe....

I detest cardio..totally detest it. I would rather eat less - or just lift more and go for more walks. [Also, where did the 'scared to death of the cardio monster' and the whole 'precious muscles staying in tact(sp)' come from in the prior post in the quote?

They came from the cardio monster, of course, who visits in the dead of night and leaves rude insults on your treadmill.

How old was that post Mr. Rude quoted, anyway?
  • usmcmp
    Options

Yes...this. ^^^

Well said mate.

He quoted one of the first posts on page 2. Which was 15 months ago. That reply was also an assumption of what I believe based on my suggestions for not doing tons of cardio.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Yes...this. ^^^

Well said mate.

He quoted one of the first posts on page 2. Which was 15 months ago. That reply was also an assumption of what I believe based on my suggestions for not doing tons of cardio.

I tried to find the original post by going back a few pages - gave up - now I know why I could not find it lol.
  • mhanispeedy
    mhanispeedy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    hi , thanks for the thread ,
    just wanted to ask 1 question
    i have elliptical , bike , and a treadmill , but the problem is that i cant run on treadmill, i workout 15 mins on bike and 15 mins on elliptical, and walk for 40-50 minutes ,

what your recommend for me more ?

please reply
    @usmcmp
  • usmcmp
    Options
    hi , thanks for the thread ,
    just wanted to ask 1 question
    i have elliptical , bike , and a treadmill , but the problem is that i cant run on treadmill, i workout 15 mins on bike and 15 mins on elliptical, and walk for 40-50 minutes ,

what your recommend for me more ?

please reply
    @usmcmp

@mhanispeedy You didn't mention any resistance training, so my suggestion is to find something you can do that challenges your muscles. Even if it's a full body, body weight workout. That would be a better use of the 40-50 minutes that you spend walking. Cardio isn't essential to fat loss, a calorie deficit is. Cardio helps heart and lungs and can give you a bit more to eat. The resistance training is going to make sure most of your weight lost is fat.