Fitbit Users

Options
Recently I decided I should really use the tools I have access to in a way they were meant to be used (Fitbit, Myfitnesspal) - long story, can fill you in on a separate thread - email or private message if interested.

My question is this: The fitbit is tracking my steps and syncing with myfitnesspal. On myfitnesspal, should I be logging my exercise. So yesterday for example, I had 20,000+ steps. A portion of those was a running/jogging for 30 minutes. Do I record the running/jogging in the exercise portion of my fitness pal or is the exercise someone how part of the overall steps for the day.

In the end, I do not want the exercise to count twice. I hope this makes sense and any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Best of luck today on your fitness journey's!

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You can either log them or not. The result at the end of the day will be the same. However, if you do log them you need to be sure the start time and duration of the one you log is exactly the same as it is recorded on fitbit so that it is not double counted.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I would say don't log the exercise on MFP. I tried logging it, and changing it to "1 calorie burned", just to have some sort of record of my workout. But then the Fitbit didn't log any of my workout, I'm assuming because it didn't want to "double up" on the calories burned. It "lost" 300-400 of my calories burned a couple days in a row, so I was pretty ticked off. Now I just let it track, and I just make a note on my food page about what workout I did.
  • jj_steele
    jj_steele Posts: 71 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Recently I decided I should really use the tools I have access to in a way they were meant to be used (Fitbit, Myfitnesspal) - long story, can fill you in on a separate thread - email or private message if interested.

My question is this: The fitbit is tracking my steps and syncing with myfitnesspal. On myfitnesspal, should I be logging my exercise. So yesterday for example, I had 20,000+ steps. A portion of those was a running/jogging for 30 minutes. Do I record the running/jogging in the exercise portion of my fitness pal or is the exercise someone how part of the overall steps for the day.

In the end, I do not want the exercise to count twice. I hope this makes sense and any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Best of luck today on your fitness journey's!

I have found (for me) that logging my food via MFP and logging my exercise via FitBit (or allowing my Fitbit to log my exercise) provides a better total overall reflection of calories burned and calories consumed for the day.

It appears that MFP and Fitbit track and calculate calories burned a little differently. And yes, you are correct in assuming that you may be overstating calories burned if you are utilizing your Fitbit while performing an exercise/activity and also manually log that same exercise/activity it into MFP...especially it your Fitbit has a built in heart rate monitor.

Hope this helps. Thanks and good luck to you, also, on your fitness journey!
  • jefemullin
    jefemullin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question and just posted about it, maybe i should have read more first. My VivoActive automatically posts my workouts to MFP and also posts negative calorie adjustments based on lack of steps/activity. I'm also worried that the workout is being double counted, as both steps and a separate run. I don't know if fitbit works the same as my VivoActive though.
  • lifestyle70
    lifestyle70 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input/feedback/thoughts. Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »
    I would say don't log the exercise on MFP. I tried logging it, and changing it to "1 calorie burned", just to have some sort of record of my workout. But then the Fitbit didn't log any of my workout, I'm assuming because it didn't want to "double up" on the calories burned. It "lost" 300-400 of my calories burned a couple days in a row, so I was pretty ticked off. Now I just let it track, and I just make a note on my food page about what workout I did.

I tried this myself just a few days ago and had the same issue, I don't get how that works logging 1 cal for exercise.

jj_steele wrote: »
    I have found (for me) that logging my food via MFP and logging my exercise via FitBit (or allowing my Fitbit to log my exercise) provides a better total overall reflection of calories burned and calories consumed for the day.

It appears that MFP and Fitbit track and calculate calories burned a little differently. And yes, you are correct in assuming that you may be overstating calories burned if you are utilizing your Fitbit while performing an exercise/activity and also manually log that same exercise/activity it into MFP...especially it your Fitbit has a built in heart rate monitor.

Hope this helps. Thanks and good luck to you, also, on your fitness journey!

I never thought of recording my exercise on fitbit rather than MFP, I shall be trying that tomorrow.

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    ShibaEars wrote: »

I tried this myself just a few days ago and had the same issue, I don't get how that works logging 1 cal for exercise.

People who use TDEE method to lose weight do this. It doesn't work for people who have a fitbit account linked to their MFP account.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I log all the exercise on FB and all the food on MFP. MFP is set to "sedentary" and "1 cal for exercise." FB ports over calories burned and MFP adjusts recommended calories up/down in response. Seems to work fine.
  • teachmama79
    teachmama79 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    maxit wrote: »
    I log all the exercise on FB and all the food on MFP. MFP is set to "sedentary" and "1 cal for exercise." FB ports over calories burned and MFP adjusts recommended calories up/down in response. Seems to work fine.

How do you set it to automatically log as 1 cal for exercise?
  • njoywalston
    Options

I just read this today while hooking up my charge HR....the only exercises that should be logged on my fitness pal are none walking excercise. These are the things fb won't log.
  • njoywalston
    Options
    VERY frustrated! I can't get my fit bit charge HR to sync with MFP. It says it is connected but nothing is happening!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    VERY frustrated! I can't get my fit bit charge HR to sync with MFP. It says it is connected but nothing is happening!

Try disconnecting your FB from MFP and reconnect it again.