Why do people insist that they need tons of fat for keto!

Options
mybellabear1
mybellabear1 Posts: 9 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
This is MIND BLOWING that people think that LCHF means high fat in grams! A little math is all that is needed. 9 calories for 1 gram of fat, and 4 calories for 1 gram of protein, so even if someone ate 100 grams of protein and 100 grams of fat, fat is still higher! 400 calories of protein, and a whopping 1000 from fat alone! It really bothers me that so much misinformation is out there, and people have people shoving lard down their throats thinking that fat should be high :( I've shed over 60 pounds in just over 2 months!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Huh?

I think most people would say 100g of fat a day is "tons of fat" (relative to most people's diets)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, 100 g is high to me.

Also 100 g fat=900 calories, 100 g protein=400 calories. If my maintenance is 2000 calories, that leaves 700, or 175 g carbs, so not low carb (as I define it, anyway) and certainly not keto.

Now, I like to eat about 125 g protein, or 500 calories, and let's assume 5% carbs or 25 grams, that leaves about 1400 calories to fat or 155 grams.

Which is fine, not criticizing, but I'd call that high fat.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Wha??????? 100g is a lot of fat.

900 calories is 3/4 of my daily calorie goal.

I don't understand this post. Has Friday arrived early this week?
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options

HAHAHA! (Laughed so hard I squashed my fat!)

• ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    60lbs in 2 months... yeeeeah....
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Wha??????? 100g is a lot of fat.

900 calories is 3/4 of my daily calorie goal.

Tomorrow is Good Friday so, yeah, today is probably about 50% honorary Friday.

Good catch!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    home.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't do keto but the math is simple. They need to limit carbs to a certain very low number and limit protein to a certain number (I think it's 80 or something for a sedentary?) then fill the rest with fat because carbs and protein prevent keto if higher than that. So they would be taking in a maximum of 500 calories from protein and carbs, so 100 g of fat to come up at a decent calorie intake is not unheard of.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Also 100 g fat=900 calories, 100 g protein=400 calories. If my maintenance is 2000 calories, that leaves 700, or 175 g carbs, so not low carb (as I define it, anyway) and certainly not keto.

Now, I like to eat about 125 g protein, or 500 calories, and let's assume 5% carbs or 25 grams, that leaves about 1400 calories to fat or 155 grams.

Yeah but that means cheese curds all day, right?
    poutine2.jpg
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This is MIND BLOWING that people think that LCHF means high fat in grams! A little math is all that is needed. 9 calories for 1 gram of fat, and 4 calories for 1 gram of protein, so even if someone ate 100 grams of protein and 100 grams of fat, fat is still higher! 400 calories of protein, and a whopping 1000 from fat alone! It really bothers me that so much misinformation is out there, and people have people shoving lard down their throats thinking that fat should be high :( I've shed over 60 pounds in just over 2 months!

If you do not understand it and obliviously you do not.... Why criticize it? LCHF works.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I think the OP doesn't quite understand the concept of keto....
  • ccmayw
    ccmayw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    LCHF has worked wonders for me, though I've only lost 20 pounds over 2 months, nowhere near 60! More importantly I've lost 4 inches of fat around my waist...
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm currently LCLF, but if I wasn't LF and only wanted a small deficit, I could eat enormous amounts of fat and still make my deficit.

With a 2200 calorie target and 150g protein intake, that leaves room for more than 150g worth of fat...if I wanted it...
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

poutine2.jpg

I just want cheese curds. All day long. Sadly, you can't buy them here in England. Sigh...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    This is MIND BLOWING that people think that LCHF means high fat in grams! A little math is all that is needed. 9 calories for 1 gram of fat, and 4 calories for 1 gram of protein, so even if someone ate 100 grams of protein and 100 grams of fat, fat is still higher! 400 calories of protein, and a whopping 1000 from fat alone! It really bothers me that so much misinformation is out there, and people have people shoving lard down their throats thinking that fat should be high :( I am so grateful for keto for weight loss and ketogenic women on facebook! Optimal ketogenic living has helped me shed over 60 pounds in just over 2 months!

If you do not understand it and obliviously you do not.... Why criticize it? LCHF works.

I don't think she's criticizing it, but who knows. I got the impression that she was criticizing non keto people for claiming keto (or LCHF) was high fat, which is just weird so yeah, maybe she's saying you all are doing it wrong?

Beats me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

poutine2.jpg

I just want cheese curds. All day long. Sadly, you can't buy them here in England. Sigh...

Aren't there cheese producing areas of England where you can buy them? I mean, I know you produce cheese, so surely the curds can be purchased too? Here in Chicago they sell them at farmer's markets (people come down from Wisconsin, where there is much cheese, which almost makes up for the Packers fans), although I recently realized you can also just buy them at WF.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @lemurcat12 , so far I haven't found any. I'm from Canada originally so I grew up eating curds. Any cheese shop I've been in here (all over the UK) has told me that they just don't sell them. I believe a couple London restaurants are now doing poutine (it's served as a specialty dish) and an article I read about that said they had to strike special deals with cheese producers to obtain the curds, so it would be very hard for a normal person to just buy them.

If anyone does know of where I can buy them here, I would buy them a pint!

Edit- I love Chicago. I've been a couple times and it is a great city. :)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

s5l8q0.jpg
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I think I finally get it! She meant that even if protein and fat were the same in grams it's still keto because the "high fat" means "the majority of the calories are from fat" not that grams of fat have to be outrageously high (although 100 g of fat is still considered really high to me and twice what I would usually eat).

I think she may have had an argument somewhere with someone who insisted the quantity of fat in grams has to be much higher than protein (or something). Context would have helped OP ;)