Catholic MFPs, Good Friday Fast?

Options
1235»

Replies

• annakoesterer618
    annakoesterer618 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm catholic and I do fast but it's a little bit harder during school because when I'm hungry I have a hard time focusing during class...I have 2 snacks and a full sized meal that day...to keep me full I eat a protein bar and cut it in half for breakfast and lunch, then eat my full meal for dinner
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, off topic, but it would be nice if there was a usable search function for groups. I also think the idea that people must find a group that most people affected probably don't know about or belong to before asking a question about a short-term thing like a fast day seems a little over the top.

Someone asked about how people were dealing with exercise on a Jewish fast day and I posted my experience from fasting last year and I seriously doubt that me not being Jewish made it something I couldn't discuss, and for the same reason I don't see this fast day question as particularly sectarian even though the holiday in question is.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there are many practicing Catholics on MFP, but if there are, I was wondering what you plan to do for your Good Friday fast? Are you going to do it? Are you just going to eat your calories after sundown? On Good Friday I normally fast for the day drinking lots of water then have soup after sundown. I'll probably do that again this year, but I'm sure my friends will be all in my face about not eating enough calories.

Damn. I completely forgot about that and I have a date today too. :/ umm... I guess I will probably just have a salad.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Is it bad that I didn't know that you are supposed to fast? I always just thought that you weren't supposed to eat meat. oops :/

On regulars Friday's during lent you are. Good Friday (the Friday before Easter) is a fasting day though. I think Ash Wednesday is also a fasting day but I am not sure.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    tageekly wrote: »
    This thread is divisive, reported.
    isnt any "discussion" ? do we noty all have our own opinoins and such? i think you are a little over sensitive buddy.
    The title is specific to Catholic MFP's there are groups for this.
    Just because it's specific to a certain group doesn't mean it's divisive. Save your outrage for where it's deserved. You'll have more credibility.

That's exactly what it means actually, according to the Community Guidelines.

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. We reserve the right to move any topic to a relevant public Group which interested members may join if they wish to continue to participate.

There have been a number of topics that have been posted directed towards particular religions and they get removed or locked because they are not inclusive of the community as a whole.

So should we remove any topics posted by low carbers because it is not relevant to a low fat dieter? Or vice versa? Should we remove any topic posted about diabetes because it isn't relevant to people who don't have the disease? Here is an idea, if the topic is not relevant to you, then DON'T bother reading it and stop bullying around people for their beliefs.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Contrarian wrote: »
    First giving stuff up for lent, and now this? Why does the Catholic church want you to be unhappy? Jesus wouldn't have fasted. He'd have eaten the **** out of his Passover meal.

He spent 40 days in the desert fasting. That is what we imitate during lent.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    No fasting but I won't eat meat. Friday's have been tough during Lent when it comes to keeping within my calories. I'm not much of a fish eater so the choices are usually items high in calories. Pasta, pizza, etc.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there are many practicing Catholics on MFP, but if there are, I was wondering what you plan to do for your Good Friday fast? Are you going to do it? Are you just going to eat your calories after sundown? On Good Friday I normally fast for the day drinking lots of water then have soup after sundown. I'll probably do that again this year, but I'm sure my friends will be all in my face about not eating enough calories.

Damn. I completely forgot about that and I have a date today too. :/ umm... I guess I will probably just have a salad.

You could have a nice dinner salad with prawns or some other seafood to get your protein.