Tell me, what's your secret? *rolls eyes*

Options

Replies

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    It's interesting some people will actually say "I'd do anything to lose this weight" and I say "really? how about eating less and getting more active?"

Then I'll get a blank stare and I could almost read the cloud bubble above their heads that says...Well let's not go overboard now. (Like there must be something else they can try). LOL....
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    A lady was talking at the pool (warm-ups before class started so we can chat) about how she needs to lose weight and she knows it is all about the food since "food is what got me to this point". Her companion called to me and asked me to join them, explaining that I have lost almost 100 lb. The first lady asked me how I did it. "Watching what I eat and exercising more". Yup, got the blank stare from someone who even admits that it is all about the food.
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I tell people I use a free app called myfitnesspal. People mostly get all excited and then ask what it does, when I say it just helps figure out how many calories you should be eating and makes counting calories easier, I usually get "Oh counting calories is not for me, I have a friend who is doing *insert weird fad diet*, I'm thinking about trying that." I have one work friend who has started meticulously counting her calories on MFP too though, and guess what, she is losing weight, exercising more and doing awesome, because CICO works.
  • geotrice
    geotrice Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    The thing is, at least for me, the phrase "counting calories" puts this idea of a pencil and paper and a journal and lots of effort and work which may or may not pay off (because you know lots of food doesn't have labeled calories like produce and Reataurants) because that's how it was demonstrated in my schools as far back as 1999. MFP changed everything for me. The app in particular makes counting calories so easy and fast particularly with the barcode scanner. So I my head MFP is not counting calories (even though it is). When I'm asked, I tell people MFP. Their eyes don't glaze over, in fact they are super engaged and generally enthusiastic about the process.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    I tell them a drink a combination of toilet duck, lemon, cinnamon and almond milk every morning. Because lets face it, it's the sort of thing they want to hear.

Love that! Might include Cillit Bang in that too...

BANG! AND THE FAT IS GONE!

It's a winner!

Ahem..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGooQ8yYC0c
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I tell them a drink a combination of toilet duck, lemon, cinnamon and almond milk every morning. Because lets face it, it's the sort of thing they want to hear.

Look at you being all atruistic

And that's the name I'll give this diet...the altruistic diet. Winner.
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I could tell them the truth but it wouldn't make them happy. So I tell them sex. LOTS of sex. They're still not happy, but their husbands are eager to help them try it out.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    Options
    geotrice wrote: »
    The thing is, at least for me, the phrase "counting calories" puts this idea of a pencil and paper and a journal and lots of effort and work which may or may not pay off (because you know lots of food doesn't have labeled calories like produce and Reataurants) because that's how it was demonstrated in my schools as far back as 1999. MFP changed everything for me. The app in particular makes counting calories so easy and fast particularly with the barcode scanner. So I my head MFP is not counting calories (even though it is). When I'm asked, I tell people MFP. Their eyes don't glaze over, in fact they are super engaged and generally enthusiastic about the process.

I usually go with "I track what I eat and how much I exercise" so it doesn't automatically default to the (incredibly negative somehow!) stigma that "counting calories" has developed. I shill this app/site like it's my job. B)
  • eplerd
    eplerd Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We should tell people

"I'm on the E.L.M.M. diet, and it is SO NEW and SO REVOLUTIONARY that I was required to sign a non-disclosure agreement and go to training for a WEEK in order to understand how to do it. It is also VERY EXPENSIVE because it is GUARANTEED TO WORK"

Bet they'd be BEGGING to hear how it works and ask how to get in on the super-secret program!!

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I eat less and move more. They usually do not want to hear that.
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I tell them "I actually eat more and more frequently, but the quality of the food I eat has improved, and a work out ... " everyone was quick to assume I was starving myself when I started shedding the weight, I would open my lunch bag and show them all my food... I also started posting pics of my food on face book so my friends and family could see that yes I eat plenty (and to give them pointers)
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    The conversation usually goes like this:

Them: "Wow, you've lost weight! What are you doing?"
    Me: "Calorie counting using MFP. I also started running last year."
    Them: (ignoring the calorie counting) "So its the running. I can't run, so I can't lose weight."
    Me: "Actually, I started running about 6 months before I started losing weight because I was still eating as much as I wanted. Once I started calorie counting, the weight started coming off. So, its actually the calorie counting that works, you don't have to exercise to lose weight."
    Them: "lalalalalala I can't hear you"
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I tell them - I made many small changes to my eating & exercising habits each day and over time I lost weight. Oh and I had to be patient. It's the truth! And seems to be just the right amount of detail.
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    There's a woman on HBO's Weight of the Nation, says the same thing - people ask her what she's doing & as soon as she starts explaining - they tune out.

No one has asked me...yet, but I'm pretty sure I'd get the same reaction.

Nope, no Atkins, no Paleo, no "diet" of any kind. Just changed what & how I eat & exercise regularly.

There is no magic. Never has been. Maybe eventually there will be something like magic, but...not yet.
  • tippie2015
    tippie2015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's weird because I didn't think people actually asked that, until they asked me that lol. Like, really? Don't eat as much and exercise. If there was a secret everyone would be skinny.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I can't wait until someone asks me, to give them the same answer and see the look on their face :D
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    I move more than I consume.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I like to tell them I spent a good deal of time and money researching the subject and finally found the secret but for a mere $20 bucks and a few minutes of your time I will share it with you. People seem to feel that if they pay for something it has more value. So far I am up to $80.... Gawd people are so gullible. Lmao
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's the "Eat Like a Person, not Like a Horse" plan.