edited April 2015
    Options
    Just interested in the discussion :smile:
    9b076c06d21c15cac2640eb81d8b9522.jpg
  • smashley_mashley
    smashley_mashley Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Even 'plus size' models no longer represent a normal woman - typically a US 10 - 12 when the average US woman is a size 14 or above. These high-profile shows adding an additional criterion that models be healthy is not going to fix this culture overnight. It does, however, send out a strong message that the industry needs to change and to value health as well as thinness. I do not believe this is a bad thing.

Re NFL: BMI is well known not to be effective at assessing health of rugby players, american football players, body builders etc. - their highly muscular bodies will often put them in the overweight category when their body fat % is quite low. The waist-to-height ratio is a much better indicator of health in athletes. In fact, the British military is considering changing its weight requirements to WTH ratio for this reason, as it is very difficult to meet the strength requirements while still being within the BMI requirements.

I couldn't have said it better
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    This is from a former vogue editor, who describes models near passing out on model shoots:

http://www.styleite.com/news/the-vogue-factor-kristie-clements/
  • The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    They don't require you to be underweight to the point of health risk, most just tend to prefer it. The government has no place in the issue- that being said, i don't live in France.

My personal opinion of it is that if they have issue with maintenance of that body type they should be something other than a model.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    alywei3773 wrote: »
    They don't require you to be underweight to the point of health risk, most just tend to prefer it. The government has no place in the issue- that being said, i don't live in France.

My personal opinion of it is that if they have issue with maintenance of that body type they should be something other than a model.

Considering that you called models "human hangers for art" it is not surprising you had this opinion. It does seem that you value the art more than the human.

The art that is of such magnificent "importance" that people die in the quest to showcase it, has a two-year shelf life at best, after which the "breathtaking" outfit that a young girl starved themself to get into is an outdated embarrasment in the back of someone's closet.

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Milan banned models with a BMI of less than 18 from the runway a few years ago, and Israel did similarly last year. The reasoning behind it is that models are supposed to represent the archetype of beauty. Having models that are extremely thin encourages girls and women to aspire to be unhealthily thin, and is thought to be a contributing factor in the development of eating disorders for the majority of sufferers.

It is also a more direct way of trying to tackle eating disorders specifically within the modelling world. There have been numerous high-profile deaths of models with anorexia, including one who had a heart attack on the catwalk. By banning medically underweight models from the catwalks of the major fashion events, there is a real incentive for the models to keep their weight healthy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1540595/Fashion-leaders-refuse-to-ban-size-zero-models.html
    http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/fashion/israel-passes-law-banning-too-skinny-models-article-1.1235593
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1542707/Sister-of-tragic-size-zero-model-found-dead.html
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/8230624/French-model-in-anti-anorexia-campaign-dies.html

The average BMI for an NFL Professional Lineman is 31.5. Over 30 is considered obese. Should we ban them from professional football for setting a bad example for our youth.

Many long distance runners are flirting with the low end of the BMI. Ban them?

It's okay to keep someone from making a living because they don't fit in with the so-called "normal" parameters of society?
    However, according to the studies I posted below, 16% of long distance runners show signs of an eating disorder, compared to 20 - 40% of models. So the scale of the problem in long distance runners, while worrying, is smaller than that of the modelling industry.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/76241.php
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11746292

Why can't we say 15-35% for runners if we can say 20-40% of models? Then there's not much of a difference.

Because that's not what the articles I linked said. If they had said that, that's what I would have posted. If you have contradictory information to the articles I found, please post it - I am interested.

I don't. My point is, why would I let 20-40% hold weight when being compared to 16%. If it's 20% then the same ban should be put on runners, no?

I don't think so. The ban in France puts the legal liability on the agencies, as an employment law. This is because it is known that agencies put pressure on models to be as thin as possible. I am not sure the same can be said of coaches - the pressure they put on runners is to run as fast as possible.

ETA: Sports men and women earn their money from winning competitions and sponsorship deals. If modelling is part of their sponsorship deal, they would probably be covered by this law.

I think the ban for thin models is only one part of the solution in the modelling industry because although agents and the industry bears a large chunk of responsibility, eating disorders do not just come from people telling you to lose weight. They are serious psychiatric conditions which need to be treated as such. I think better mental health care and more understanding of mental health issues would reduce the incidence of a number of such conditions across the board.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Now they will tend to not prefer it. The local news (I am in France currently) shows that a recent study at an Paris agency outlined that all the models evaluated had a BMI of under 18 - a BMI which the WHO considers as undernourished.

Within the French concept of protection, government does have a role to define limiting work conditions and what an employer can require of employees.

Given that over 60 percent of models are regularly asked to lose weight, this actually seems to make sense.

What you do with your own body is your business but when business promotes or even requires unhealthy practices it becomes the government's business.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Now they will tend to not prefer it. The local news (I am in France currently) shows that a recent study at an Paris agency outlined that all the models evaluated had a BMI of under 18 - a BMI which the WHO considers as undernourished.

Within the French concept of protection, government does have a role to define limiting work conditions and what an employer can require of employees.

Given that over 60 percent of models are regularly asked to lose weight, this actually seems to make sense.

What you do with your own body is your business but when business promotes or even requires unhealthy practices it becomes the government's business.

Agreed.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    hmqGB.jpg
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/france-bans-skinny-models-in-anorexia-clamp-down/ar-AAaohae

What is wrong with this world? It's now politically correct to discriminate against skinny people?

They are not skinny they are sick. It should be illegal for an entire industry to capitlize on a persons illness. In addition to promoting this illness to get the models sick it is also tearing down the self esteem of most normal women.

I was glad to hear it.

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/france-bans-skinny-models-in-anorexia-clamp-down/ar-AAaohae

What is wrong with this world? It's now politically correct to discriminate against skinny people?

They are not skinny they are sick. It should be illegal for an entire industry to capitlize on a persons illness. In addition to promoting this illness it is tearing down the self esteem of most normal women.

I was glad to hear it.

definition please
  • urloved33
    Options

They are not skinny they are sick. It should be illegal for an entire industry to capitlize on a persons illness. In addition to promoting this illness it is tearing down the self esteem of most normal women.

I was glad to hear it.

definition please

DICTIONARY.COM

i mean really do we have to hand feed each other the dictionary?

rexia - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...
    www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anorexia‎CachedSimilar
    noun an·orex·ia \ˌa-nə-ˈrek-sē-ə, -ˈrek-shə\. : a serious physical and emotional
    illness in which an abnormal fear of being fat leads to very poor eating habits ...

• determined_ella
    determined_ella Posts: 4,354 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Because of anorexia.... this sometimes (rarely) happens to women and men all over just because the tv industry decide to promote unhealthily unrealistic women....
    that is the extent people go to :confused:

maybe if they show what they go through on a daily basis, the pain, hair loss, tooth loss, vision disturbances, organ failure and skeletal issues.... the down sides ect then mayb people will think harder and hopefully choose healthy eating etc.

u53ddm8bp06g.jpg
  • mrdannygoode
    Options

don't discriminate just throw them a burger

• benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Totalitarianism at its finest.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    If they banned fat models because the were unhealthy, would that be okay?

'Fat' models cannot get work anyway, so there is no need to ban them!

^^ This
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I was glad to hear it.

definition please

DICTIONARY.COM

i mean really do we have to hand feed each other the dictionary?

rexia - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster ...
    www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anorexia‎CachedSimilar
    noun an·orex·ia \ˌa-nə-ˈrek-sē-ə, -ˈrek-shə\. : a serious physical and emotional
    illness in which an abnormal fear of being fat leads to very poor eating habits ...

I wanted the definition of "normal women"

2KODfWh.gif
  • urloved33
    Options
    Shalaurise wrote: »
    If they banned fat models because the were unhealthy, would that be okay?

'Fat' models cannot get work anyway, so there is no need to ban them!

^^ This

Plus size models work. Do yall live under a rock?

• The_Aly_Wei
    The_Aly_Wei Posts: 844 Member
    Options

Considering that you called models "human hangers for art" it is not surprising you had this opinion. It does seem that you value the art more than the human.

The art that is of such magnificent "importance" that people die in the quest to showcase it, has a two-year shelf life at best, after which the "breathtaking" outfit that a young girl starved themself to get into is an outdated embarrasment in the back of someone's closet.

I could care less about the clothing- it is usually s**t and not at all practical. People shell out an exorbitant amount of money to feel like they are filling their own personal voids. But, being a hanger is what they do. THAT is the job. They are a body of a certain type that showcases a creation in the way a designer would best like to showcase it in order to make it marketable/desirable/profitable. The human is just that- A HUMAN. Therefore has the choice to be in that particular business and conform to the standards required to be successful in that business or not.
    For there to be a restriction to make a standard of a business more lax for no reason seems reason-less to me. That is my point of view.
  • urloved33
    Options
    av w size is 12-14. again do yall live under a rock?