What to do with flabby skin?

Options
I have lost over 50 pounds in the last year or so. I am 58 years old. My arms, thighs and hips have some saggy skin. Am I going to have to live with it or is there something I can do to firm it up. I do aerobics 5 days a week which includes some free weights. I also do pilates and yoga 2 days a week. Any suggestions? Besides going under the knife?

Replies

• aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Exfoliate and use lots of lotion. I'm a 100 pound loser and not too bad. I steam after working out and lotion up before bed and after showers
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm 50
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've lost ninety and I'm in my mid-fifties. I tuck it in. I'm doing triceps exercises for my bat-wings but I think it's more for consolation than for results. I need more upper body strength anyways.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:

I lost 16 pounds. Weight lifting has helped me a lot. Also, losing the weight slowly so the body has the opportunity to 'accomodate' itself. It is still a work in progress, but much better than before.
    I also concur with aksteve above. Exfoliate and use a lot of hydrating lotion for your skin.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Skin can take upto 2 years to 'snap back'. Exfoliate, moisturise and hope for the best. Strength training 'seems' to help too.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    im nearly 27 & ive lost 160 pounds my arms are still flappy , my lower stomach is pretty bad but I can "tuck it" my legs are only bad when i lean over so im not worried about it

ummm i keep very hydrated and put cream on my bod when I remember to I am hoping strength training will help as well

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. Most people find that your skin will snap back over the next year or so. I believe it depends on how much you lost, how big you were and for how long, age, and genetics.

After that period of time, it will snap back and much as it possibly can. It's then that you need to decide whether or not something like surgery is even worth it to you.

Do not believe for a second that creams, oils, dry-brushing, etc. will make any real difference. After a certain period of time your option is to live with it (and enjoy your new lighter physique regardless!) or have it surgically removed.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'm 46, lost 30 pounds and have loose skin far worse than expected. The doctor said wait 2 years bc at your age it will be slow. Bleurgh bingo wings, so depressing. No money for elective surgery, either.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    You learn to live with it. That's about all I can say.
  • heartists
    heartists Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost over 100 lbs a few years ago.. my skin has never snapped back or toned. it depends how much it was stretched in the area and stuff tbh it sucks but you have to work on self acceptance :\
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I wait for a very windy day and then go gliding.... :smiley:

In your 50's you find out how lucky or unlucky you have been in the genetic lottery of how elastic your skin is.

It does take a while for skin to catch up with weight loss when you are deep into your second childhood. I'm never going to have a pretty looking 6 pack but I'm a damn site healthier for losing weight and that's so much more important.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I didn't know you could get the hanging skin from losing 30 pounds. I have lost 15 and have 15 to go. :/ I focus a lot on strength training and will hope for the best.
  • classicalbk
    classicalbk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fitness trainer told me to do more strength training (lifting) and eat more protein. Let's hope it works. I want to yell at all the heavy young people, "Lose the weight now while your skin can still snap back!"
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I think my gut and arms are things that can only be fixed by surgery, but I did have some success with my back and thighs with rowing and lifting.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I just tuck it in (the belly flap), and the arm and leg skin, I just learned to accept it. 3 pregnancies--all with 50+lb gains and super quick losses (I always "eat for 2 grown adults", get severe edema in 3rd trimester, plus post partum thyroiditis, YIKES) contributed to my "extra" skin (plus, I'm not genetically blessed in my collagen production, apparently).

It may get better (I like to exfoliate and lotion, just as a "pampering" spa experience, so maybe some improvement), or it may not. Lots and lots of people (of all ages) have loose skin.

So, I guess I've no good advice for you. I just want you to realize that your issue is just as normal as those that don't have extra. And I've noticed (just by people watching a lot), that I'd bet most people think their extra bits are "worse" than they really are (our own worst critics, so to speak).
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm three years post loss. It did improve a little over time, but not much. I wouldn't feel comfortable with my shirt off at the beach. I would give it some time. You can also focus more on weightlifting and may tone up a bit.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and lost 40% of my bodyweight (80#) - it's been 2 years on maintenance, running and heavy lifting, creams and oils, and still the damn skin sags. I'm trying to figure out how to afford at least a tummy tuck...that is the worst part for me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    aksteve777 wrote: »
    Exfoliate and use lots of lotion. I'm a 100 pound loser and not too bad. I steam after working out and lotion up before bed and after showers
    That would take care of the epidermis moisture and dead skin, but lotions and cremes don't reduce skin tissue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    Fitness trainer told me to do more strength training (lifting) and eat more protein. Let's hope it works. I want to yell at all the heavy young people, "Lose the weight now while your skin can still snap back!"
    If one built up enough muscle to push up against that stretched skin, that would work, but strength training and eating protein with no sarcoplasmic hypertrophy wouldn't do much for loose skin at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• flatlndr
    flatlndr Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I'm 52. Having dropped ~100 lbs in 2014, I'm now "blessed" with a bit of loose skin, mostly around the stomach.
    I'll gladly take that along with my enhanced health and fitness, as compared to the wreck I what before when I was at a BMI of 40. It's not noticeable when I'm clothed. It's visible when my shirt is off, but then again, I'm comfortable taking my shirt off now, but I hated doing so 100 lbs ago. It may not be perfect, but it's waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the old me.