Getting too much fat and not enough carbs. Ideas?

Options
DaFibble
DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
Looking over my food diary I notice that I'm consistently over the recommended amount of fat but low on carbs.

Could use some ideas about how to increase my healthy carb intake. Ideally, not wheat based foods as I think I have enough of those.

Alternatively, do I even need to be concerned about this? I don't feel like I lack energy.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, this day and age it's the opposite that would pose a problem o:)
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    one magic word..... PASTA... (whole wheat is better)
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I would not be concerned, personally. Getting adequate fat and protein is awesome. If you want, you can switch the optional tracking column from "sugar" to "fibre". If you're getting enough fibre, and you feel good, it's likely fine.

(There is even an eating plan called LCHF, low carb, high fat, high protein. I think the typical thinking is that if you are low carb or lower in carb, that's fine, just that getting enough fat and protein becomes extra important.)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned with that honestly. My first goal is to hit protein, then fat and the rest is "meh" - wherever it falls.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    potatoes, taro root, yams, wild rice, quinoa, whole wheat pasta...theyre all good.
    some other nice sources of carbs are fruits.
  • AsadiMt
    AsadiMt Posts: 5
    Options
    If your trying to lose weight being low on carbs and high on fat is a good thing. If not you could always increase fruit and root veggies to up carb count.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Eat more veggies
  • mbaker824
    mbaker824 Posts: 16
    Options
    DaFibble wrote: »
    Looking over my food diary I notice that I'm consistently over the recommended amount of fat but low on carbs.

Could use some ideas about how to increase my healthy carb intake. Ideally, not wheat based foods as I think I have enough of those.

Alternatively, do I even need to be concerned about this? I don't feel like I lack energy.

I don't think you need to be concerned; in fact, IMHO carbs are the problem, not the solution. We've been conditioned all our lives to believe fat is the enemy, but our grandparents knew it was carbs and sugar that would make you fat.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    mbaker824 wrote: »

I don't think you need to be concerned; in fact, IMHO carbs are the problem, not the solution. We've been conditioned all our lives to believe fat is the enemy, but our grandparents knew it was carbs and sugar that would make you fat.

Carbs and sugar do not directly make one fat. Rather, it is the nature of the carbs and sugar to process through the body quickly. This creates hunger, and a constant challenge to not overindulge.

I say that if you feel good and are progressing, "don't fix what ain't broke"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I wouldn't worry about it unless you feel low energy or are doing lots of exercise and feel your performance isn't as strong as it could be. Then I might experiment with more. But MFP's default numbers are higher carb than I personally like on a calorie deficit. (They seem to work for me at maintenance, though.)

Thus, I'd not worry about it.

However, some good carb sources that aren't wheat are oatmeal, potatoes, sweet potatoes, root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, turnips, beets, celeriac), winter squash, rice, corn, beans, and fruit.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Check out my food diary for today. Full of protein and fat, very little carbs. It's GLORIOUS :D
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Clearly. I am in awe of your demonization of an entire food group based on anecdotes from nearly a hundred years ago. Please, go on.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My grandparents weren't anti carbs: they ate lots of potatoes and bread, not to mention fruits and veggies, and my grandfather had quite the sweet tooth. My grandfather's family had the first grain mill in their Iowa county even (started some years before my grandfather's birth, of course).

They weren't fat at all, I assume because they had lives that required quite a bit of physical activity.

This idea that people in the past didn't eat carbs is odd, especially since many traditional diets are based around carbs.
  • DaFibble
    DaFibble Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Could have sworn I'd already replied to this thread! Oh well. Yeh, I won't worry so long as I'm feeling good and not low on energy, etc. Maybe I'm just a naturally low carb person, since I know the kind of foods I want and carbs don't seem to appeal to me all that much.

Lots more veggies and beans are great though. Whole wheat stuff is good too.
  • GlennS18T
    GlennS18T Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

False

False. Research.

• GlennS18T
    GlennS18T Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    magerum wrote: »

Clearly. I am in awe of your demonization of an entire food group based on anecdotes from nearly a hundred years ago. Please, go on.

He is absolutely correct. Processed carbs are absolutely the problem and more of you need to research before you criticize others posted information. The ignorance in nutrion on here blows me away.

• flab2fab760
    flab2fab760 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You can google vegetable carbs and get a list that is not derived from breads or like foods.

Sweet potatoes, potatoes, beets, broccoli all have high carb contents per serving.

Once you get your list you can decide what fits in your food plan!

Good luck!