coconut oil before workout

Options

Replies

• tristayee
    tristayee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just thought that it can helps to burn fat faster, so it would be better to take it before meal?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If a piddly tablespoon of coconut oil makes you run to the loo, you must have a delicate digestive system :wink:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If a piddly tablespoon of coconut oil makes you run to the loo, you must have a delicate digestive system :wink:

Depends which end it's coming out from. It's a tablespoon of oil??? **gags**. Although I do know using coconut oil like this is a thing. It just seems kinda faddy to me
  • Christine_72
    Options
    If a t
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Depends which end it's coming out from. It's a tablespoon of oil??? **gags**. Although I do know using coconut oil like this is a thing. It just seems kinda faddy to me

out the rear end lol I'd definitely hurl if i attempted to eat a whole tablespoon of solid coconut oil on its own :confounded:

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Why would you eat it on its own? The evidence behind all the hype is not close to reliable. If you still want to have it, have it in your coffee. Funny this topic would come up, I tried bulletproof coffee for the first time and HOLY COW is it good!
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Interesting question, and not sure what improvement it would have. I know you probably want the energy hit pre-workout, and are thinking coconut oil because it's more quickly digested and utilised in the body as its a short chain fatty acid.

Are your workouts suffering from doing them fasted? And also what sort of workouts, LISS, mod/ intense cardio, or resistance training? My personal experience is that by gradually increasing your activity level while fasted, the more I can do over time, at least with LISS like long walks and also just regular activities while fasted.

My resistance training fasted sessions seemed to be a mixed bag, and rather than say they suffered/ improved by being done fasted, I just found they were more inconsistent, and sometimes performance would suffer, yet other times it would remain unaffected. Those fasted resistance training sessions would have been with BCAA's just beforehand also, just to note.

If you're not a big caffeine person, caffeine can help pre-workout to boost things. Your body tends to get used to the effects over time if you're a big caffeine person, so think the benefits are more if you're only an occasional caffeine person. Cycling caffeine could work also, and if you want to explore any benefits of fats like coconut oil, I would try throwing some in the coffee, ala bulletproof coffee, and see if it delivers any benefits over just the straight caffeine.

Also perhaps introduce the fats gradually pre-workout I think, to avoid those aforementioned bathroom dashes should you have overdone the fat, as ingesting a lot of fat at once is a great way to help the bowels shift, lol
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    tristayee wrote: »
    I just thought that it can helps to burn fat faster, so it would be better to take it before meal?
    Sorry, that's a myth. There are no magic fat burning foods. The only purpose that will serve is to more quickly fill up your calorie allowance.
  • tristayee
    tristayee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    Interesting question, and not sure what improvement it would have. I know you probably want the energy hit pre-workout, and are thinking coconut oil because it's more quickly digested and utilised in the body as its a short chain fatty acid.

Are your workouts suffering from doing them fasted? And also what sort of workouts, LISS, mod/ intense cardio, or resistance training? My personal experience is that by gradually increasing your activity level while fasted, the more I can do over time, at least with LISS like long walks and also just regular activities while fasted.

My resistance training fasted sessions seemed to be a mixed bag, and rather than say they suffered/ improved by being done fasted, I just found they were more inconsistent, and sometimes performance would suffer, yet other times it would remain unaffected. Those fasted resistance training sessions would have been with BCAA's just beforehand also, just to note.

If you're not a big caffeine person, caffeine can help pre-workout to boost things. Your body tends to get used to the effects over time if you're a big caffeine person, so think the benefits are more if you're only an occasional caffeine person. Cycling caffeine could work also, and if you want to explore any benefits of fats like coconut oil, I would try throwing some in the coffee, ala bulletproof coffee, and see if it delivers any benefits over just the straight caffeine.

Also perhaps introduce the fats gradually pre-workout I think, to avoid those aforementioned bathroom dashes should you have overdone the fat, as ingesting a lot of fat at once is a great way to help the bowels shift, lol

So cut long story short, should I use it before workout in the morning? Or use it before meal? I saw other thread saying that use coconut oil help to cut fats faster. When I bought it, the nutritionist told me it's not good to use it on empty stomach and only can take maximum a teaspoon a day, recommended half teaspoon, I want to lose fat fast, so I was thinking use it before workout, so that when I workout, the body can burn fats instead of carbs since I workout on empty stomach. What do you think?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

very much so.

and why anyone would want to just eat 3 Tbsp of fat, i have no clue :/

i love coconut oil.... for my skin (applied TO my skin). Its also good for my dogs skin. But... we don't eat it. LOL
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »

So cut long story short, should I use it before workout in the morning? Or use it before meal? I saw other thread saying that use coconut oil help to cut fats faster. When I bought it, the nutritionist told me it's not good to use it on empty stomach and only can take maximum a teaspoon a day, recommended half teaspoon, I want to lose fat fast, so I was thinking use it before workout, so that when I workout, the body can burn fats instead of carbs since I workout on empty stomach. What do you think?

Coconut oil does not magically burn fat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

very much so.

i love coconut oil.... for my skin (applied TO my skin). Its also good for my dogs skin. But... we don't eat it. LOL

I eat it sometimes--veggies taste good cooked in it, although I like olive oil just as well and alternate. Gulping down oil on its own just sounds disgusting and like a huge waste of calories.
  • Christine_72
    edited April 2015
    Options

I told ya man, it came from that Miranda Kerr, then ALL of the models claimed to ingest it like water :D:p
    My daughter called me to inform me that she's doing the 3tbs a day, because that's what she heard on tv :huh:

• jmaidan
    jmaidan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I honestly wouldn't bother. Really no benefit from doing so.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Can I take coconut oil on empty stomach in the morning before workout? Usually I workout on empty stomach, now I thought of taking one tablespoon of coconut oil raw before workout. Is it ok? Any bad effects?

You can. What is the rational for wanting to?

ETA: Ah, caught up on the broscience claims later in the thread. OP - it's not going to do for you what you want it do to for you. Nothing else will, either.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Actually, to all the people who say it has no benefit in terms of fat loss, you're incorrect.
    In men it increases your metabolic rate to some degree, in both sexes coconut oil helps suppress appetite.

Please stop with this. The claim was already thoroughly dismantled in the other thread you brought it up in.

You're not doing anybody any favours by continually posting anti-science.

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Actually, to all the people who say it has no benefit in terms of fat loss, you're incorrect.
    In men it increases your metabolic rate to some degree, in both sexes coconut oil helps suppress appetite.

"Human studies have shown that replacing dietary LCT with MCT increases daily energy expenditure from 100 (6) to 669 kJ (7) in men and 138 kJ/d (8) in women. Studies examining the satiating effect of fats of different chain lengths found that energy intake was ∼1070 kJ lower when meals contained MCT than when they contained LCT as the fat source (23). Van Wymelbeke et al. (24) found that intakes were 175–698 kJ lower, depending on the chain saturation of the LCT, at the subsequent meal when MCT were substituted for LCT."
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/3/329.full

For those of you who don't know, MCT is medium chain triglycerides which coconut oil mostly is.

14 days is the longest study ever conducted and the effect appears to be transient, and can't be observed or replicated when long term diets containing high MCT vs LCT are compared. Yeah I won't be inhaling tablespoons of coconut oil anytime soon.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    That isn't claiming what you're claiming.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

"Human studies have shown that replacing dietary LCT with MCT increases daily energy expenditure from 100 (6) to 669 kJ (7) in men and 138 kJ/d (8) in women. Studies examining the satiating effect of fats of different chain lengths found that energy intake was ∼1070 kJ lower when meals contained MCT than when they contained LCT as the fat source (23). Van Wymelbeke et al. (24) found that intakes were 175–698 kJ lower, depending on the chain saturation of the LCT, at the subsequent meal when MCT were substituted for LCT."

For those of you who don't know, MCT is medium chain triglycerides which coconut oil mostly is.

14 days is the longest study ever conducted and the effect appears to be transient, and can't be observed or replicated when long term diets containing high MCT vs LCT are compared. Yeah I won't be inhaling tablespoons of coconut oil anytime soon.

"Several studies have been conducted with oral MCTs as a potential weight management tool. In a double
    blind randomized clinical trial with 101 hypertriglyceridemic Chinese men (67) and women (34), researchers
    found significant weight loss and decrease in waist circumference in overweight (BMI 24-27) individuals"
    http://www.ethorn.com/files/MCT/MCT as a Weight Management Tool.pdf

Some of these are longer than 2 weeks.

It looks to me like reference [30] might be worth a further read since it claims significant body weight reduction in diets featuring 14g of MCT compared to 14g of LCT over a long-ish period. Any idea where I can read this?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

"Several studies have been conducted with oral MCTs as a potential weight management tool. In a double
    blind randomized clinical trial with 101 hypertriglyceridemic Chinese men (67) and women (34), researchers
    found significant weight loss and decrease in waist circumference in overweight (BMI 24-27) individuals"
    http://www.ethorn.com/files/MCT/MCT as a Weight Management Tool.pdf

Some of these are longer than 2 weeks.

It looks to me like reference [30] might be worth a further read since it claims significant body weight reduction in diets featuring 14g of MCT compared to 14g of LCT over a long-ish period. Any idea where I can read this?

I found it.
    http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/APJCN/12/2/151.pdf

If I was you i'd try it, for me last night i was a bit hungry, I added 2tbs to hot water to melt it (recommended way of consumption) and drank it. I felt so full i couldn't sleep, felt like i ate 1,200 calories in one meal, it was only 240 calories. Maybe it was a fluke, I am thinking of consuming some right now.

Thanks for finding the link! I'm not that fast a reader but I'm getting through it...
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Maaan, I've only got a little bit of coconut oil left. I don't know whether to eat it or keep using it as a face wash!!! FYI i made up my own scrub/face wash with 3tbs coconut oil and 2tbs sugar. It's the best thing ever. It works better than the store bought stuff. My face has never been so clear and soft :+1: