WHYYYYY!

Options
Alright I am currently 217lbs 5,7. I have lost 83 lbs and plan to get to 160- 170lbs and maintain. Now even though I may do a lot of cardio and have gotten really use to it, it is not some thing I want to do everyday. Problem is in order for me to eat good and comfortable without gaining weight I will have to do cardio for the rest of my live! Unless I ate very low caloric food which is something I do not want to do all the time. My calorie maintenance gets painfully low at that weight. I dont see how small women like 130 and under do it, they cant eat anything if it is high in calories. like a donut would literally be a 4th of their calories loll. So I would like to know how you guys maintain while still eating good and if you still remain as active as when you were still trying to lose weight. Except now you wouldnt be in a caloric deficit though.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any extra exercise while losing weight that I didn't plan to do forever.
  • angellll12
    angellll12 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I can eat crap and not gain just because I do a little cadio a couple times a week.
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    There is no magic formula that will allow you to stop exercising and continue eating as if you do. Human beings are meant to be able to literally run their prey to death, we are not supposed to sit on our butts all day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    You don't need to slog it out in the gym. I despise those cardio classes!!! :confounded: I recently bought a fitbit and around 20,000 steps a day gives me 800ish calories. Doing laps around my house or the block beats gym classes hands down for me!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Be more active in your day to day life.
    Lift heavy weights.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When you say "cardio" do you mean just slogging away in the gym purely to burn calories?

It doesn't have to be that way!
    Are there no sports you like? No activities that involve exertion? At 19 would suggest trying everything until you find someone you enjoy.

I'm lucky in that I've always enjoyed every type of exercise but my main "cardio" of choice is cycling. Burns a huge amount of calories but is also enjoyable and challenging. I'm more active and do more exercise now than when I was losing weight.

As quite a few people have also mentioned calorie balance isn't just food and exercise - the often neglected third element is activity. Consciously think of ways to add movement into your routine. Eliminate some of the time spent sitting down, always take the stairs, use the car less.....

One other thing you might consider is allocating your calorie allowance differently. One of the intermittent fasting protocols perhaps? Or simply skipping breakfast so that your other meals are bigger and more satisfying.

I have one very low calorie day a week which gives me a six days with a bigger allowance. Find what works for you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jakx39 wrote: »
    Alright I am currently 217lbs 5,7. I have lost 83 lbs and plan to get to 160- 170lbs and maintain. Now even though I may do a lot of cardio and have gotten really use to it, it is not some thing I want to do everyday. Problem is in order for me to eat good and comfortable without gaining weight I will have to do cardio for the rest of my live! Unless I ate very low caloric food which is something I do not want to do all the time. My calorie maintenance gets painfully low at that weight. I dont see how small women like 130 and under do it, they cant eat anything if it is high in calories. like a donut would literally be a 4th of their calories loll. So I would like to know how you guys maintain while still eating good and if you still remain as active as when you were still trying to lose weight. Except now you wouldnt be in a caloric deficit though.

I weigh 130lbs, I maintain on about 2200 cals with exercise, plenty of room for a doughnut or 2!
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing the 5/2 diet for maintenance when I get to that point. After getting to my goal weight I'm sure I'll be able to handle two days of extreme calorie restriction per week! And eat what I want the rest of the time, with moderate portion sizes of course.
    Or you could just try to find an exercise you enjoy. Cardio at the gym is pretty boring. What about hiking, or rock climbing, or swimming, or joining a netball/volleyball team, or just doing lots of outdoor work. My sister doesn't exercise but she must burn off 500 cal a day doing yard work as she eats like a horse!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Will still remain active. I will/have learn to eat less to maintain my weight. If my body does not need the extra calories to keep me alive, then it is not gonna get it otherwise I gain weight. It is as simple as that.

As someone mentioned there is no magic formula. Now for you, what you do is up to "you" and I will include if you choose to not exercise or add activities in your day/week to maintain, then that too is up to you.

You are going to get this same type of response as more people post here..
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 145 and I have a maintenance of 2125 calories with 3x weight lifting and 3x30 min jogging.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Find an exercise or activity you like doing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Today I burned 1,062 calories just from plain ole walking. And you don't even have to leave the house :+1::smiley:
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am 100 lbs., 5'0" and 40 years old. I work out about 5 hours/week. I am averaging about 1900 calories a day. I can easily fit a 200-300 calorie treat in every day. I can fit a 400-500 calorie treat in too - but it takes a little more planning because I want to hit my protein goal.

A short stature does not doom you to a low calorie life.
  • jakx39
    jakx39 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    wow some great ideas. I will definitely keep this in mind. The restriction of calories for certain days in order to allow you to eat more for the rest of the week never thought of that
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat that much you have to burn it. With an hour of planned exercise a day plus an hour or so of other activities I can maintain on 4000 at 5'10" 194. 3500 at 185.

I like to eat so I make sure I can.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am 100 lbs., 5'0" and 40 years old. I work out about 5 hours/week. I am averaging about 1900 calories a day. I can easily fit a 200-300 calorie treat in every day. I can fit a 400-500 calorie treat in too - but it takes a little more planning because I want to hit my protein goal.

A short stature does not doom you to a low calorie life.

1900 is low calorie. It's all subjective
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I know. The thought of actually taking responsibility for my health and taking care of my body for the rest of my life is just so daunting. Can't someone else just do it for me?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I run, because I enjoy it. BMR calculators say my BMR is 1259. I burn over 2,000 calories just by walking 10,000 steps a day. I take the stairs. I walk to work. I go for walks with my husband.

I'm 50, female, and 5'6" 135.

You don't have to go to a gym. Just MOVE.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Does MFP community really eat really low calories (500 or less) 1 or 2 days a week so you can eat more the rest of the days... When you are maintaining your weight and if you do or do not exercise? (BTW, I actually do IF 18/6 and have been for years and this works great)..

Does this really work week after week after week.. Seems counter productive just to be able to eat more calories the other 5 days a week..

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Does this really work week after week after week.. Seems counter productive just to be able to eat more calories the other 5 days a week..

Fwiw, I did for a couple months, not because I wanted to shift calories so much as I had a horrid schedule that kind of eliminated meals for me, against my will. Once I made the switch, I was so much more relaxed and at peace with the horrid schedule days. I also now do IF18/6, just by accident because that's when I enjoy eating.