Help please vegetarian and vegans

Options
I'm a vegetarian and not losing weight on high carb and I'm walking 4-5 times a week and nothing what should I do?? I actually gain 4 pounds! I was eating a lots of fruits and vegetables grains beans I lost nothing im so so upset. Was my body was meant to eat low carb? I don't want to go back eating meat. Ew. I'm happy as a vegetarian. I don't know why am I losing any weight :'(

Replies

• samiamorisseau
    samiamorisseau Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and not losing weight on high carb and I'm walking 4-5 times a week and nothing what should I do?? I actually gain 4 pounds! I was eating a lots of fruits and vegetables grains beans I lost nothing im so so upset. Was my body was meant to eat low carb? I don't want to go back eating meat. Ew. I'm happy as a vegetarian. I don't know why am I losing any weight :'(

I walk for 30 -20 mins
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Are you logging what you eat? i.e. do you know how many calories you're eating and how many you need?
    How long have you been trying to lose weight?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories and eating at a deficit?

I am a vegan who eats higher carb (50-60%) and I lose as long as I am at a calorie deficit.

Also, didn't you have a couple threads about chicken recently? I am not sure why you would blame this recent trend on vegetarianism or carbohydrates if you are going back and forth between vegetarianism and omnivorism. Based on another recent thread, you were afraid to eat carbohydrates. Maybe you need to slow down, ensure you are eating at a deficit, and just focus on generally hitting macro goals without blaming macros themselves.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I walk for 30 -20 mins

It doesn't matter how much you walk if you are now at a deficit. Would you consider opening your diary? You may get better advice.

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, high carb or being vegetarian does not matter for weight loss. It also doesn't matter how much you walk if you're not in a calorie deficit.

Are you using MFP correctly and tracking all your intake/exercise?
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Im vegetarian and I still log on here what I eat. I find theres more calories than I originally thought. I eat mainly fruit during the day and then have rice and veges for dinner in the evening. My snacks consist of Nuts and I love walnuts on my salads. I am losing weight, 5 lbs since last wednesday. I just started Wednesday so some of that was probably a little extra fluid. Heres my breakfast.
    1 banana
    8 strawberries
    15 grapes
    1/4c frozen blueberries
    1/8 of a cantaloup
    2tbs dried goji berries
    1tbs chia seeds
    1tsp cocnut oil
    This is also what I normaly have for lunch as well but dinner is always a warm meal with some grains or potatoes for a base and a green and salad with nuts.
    I like to blend that all up but sometimes I eat the banana if I just crave the chewing, but normaly its allin a blender. I am extremely active, if you check my profile I think you can see that. I work on a farm, and I also own and work on my farm as well so its not unusual for my MFP step tracker to go up to 17 and 20 thousand steps during the week and a little lower on the weekends. Most of my steps are pushing wheelbarows and lugging hay bales or pushing and shoving livestockl or leading animals but theyre still steps and count. Maybe you arent getting the calories you might need or a little more than you need. Do you have the MFP app to track steps and calories burned?

Becca

HAPPY EASTER if you observe this Holiday,,,Happy Sunday if you dont.
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    Are you logging what you eat? i.e. do you know how many calories you're eating and how many you need?

Over a year ;'( im eating 1278 cals or sometimes 1300
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You're gaining weight on 1300 calories? Somehow I'm thinking this isn't accurate.
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    Are you tracking your calories and eating at a deficit?

I am a vegan who eats higher carb (50-60%) and I lose as long as I am at a calorie deficit.

Also, didn't you have a couple threads about chicken recently? I am not sure why you would blame this recent trend on vegetarianism or carbohydrates if you are going back and forth between vegetarianism and omnivorism. Based on another recent thread, you were afraid to eat carbohydrates. Maybe you need to slow down, ensure you are eating at a deficit, and just focus on generally hitting macro goals without blaming macros themselves.

I am but my carbs are 80% or 70%
  • janejellyroll
    Options

For a year you gave been eating 1,300 a day and you haven't lost any weight?

I think you may have a logging issue. You have probably been eating more than you think. If you open your diary, we may be able to help with your logging.

But this is not a carbohydrate issue. If you eat at a deficit, you will lose weight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    OP do you have any medical issues?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    It would be helpful to have more information.

Do you track your food every day? How? (Do you weigh your foods, use measuring cups, eyeball, etc.?)

In what time frame did you "gain" four pounds? The way you write makes me wonder about the time frame - that you "were" eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans.
  • cathychyeah
    cathychyeah Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your not logging accurately. I'm a veggie and loose 2lbs a week on 1290 eating pretty much 90% carbs. Also unless you were immobile before long walks will not be beneficial for weight loss. Try switching you exercise to sprints or quick intervals which get into the fat stores. Uphill walks can help but uphill sprints will work more efficiently
  • I was having the same issue - gaining weight. I was advised by a medical nutritionalist to ignore the extra calories "earned" by exercise unless those earned calories exceed 1000. It is difficult to get in all the protein suggested by MFP without caving to a can of tuna. I am researching an acceptible minimum for me. Also I am sure that you know eating too few calories can cause your body to hold on to weight by going into starvation mode. Be honest and real and track it all!
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Firstly your dietary preference does not exclude you from the laws of thermodynamics. A calorie deficit is required for weight loss to happen. So I would venture especially since you have stated you consume only 1300cals daily you are severely underestimating your calorie intake and most likely overestimating your calorie output.

1. When people are in a caloric deficit, they always lose weight.

2. When people are in a caloric surplus, they always gain weight.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212/youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

Concerning low carb, this is not necessary for weight-loss it is just a dietary preference. I will leave some links concerning protein sources for vegans and vegetarians.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/articles/plant-food-protein-chart.pdf

http://www.22daysnutrition.com/blog/2013/05/01/15-vegan-sources-of-protein-soy-free-and-gluten-free-too/

I am sure others will answer your inquires more thoroughly, as I don't have time to go over your diary, or debate the weight-loss benefits of different dietary preferences. Maybe check out this link for a better understanding.

http://evidencemag.com/why-calories-count/

• samiamorisseau
    Options
    OP do you have any medical issues?

I almost have diabetes because my family have one
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Didn't you start another thread along these lines before?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weigh and log your food

All your food - with care

You are eating too much
  • samiamorisseau
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weigh and log your food

You are eating too much

But I'm eating 1200-1300 but myfitnesspal tells me to eat 1400 cals but I can't increase my carbs and sugar too much because of my blood sugar levels (diabetic fam)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weigh and log your food

You are eating too much

But I'm eating 1200-1300 but myfitnesspal tells me to eat 1400 cals but I can't increase my carbs and sugar too much because of my blood sugar levels (diabetic fam)

If you're a vegetarian, and eat dairy and eggs, it's entirely possible to keep your carbs low if you wish to.

Eat more dairy and eggs, less grains. Tofu is a lower carb source of protein, as is tempeh. Eat lots of non-starchy vegetables. Choose berries instead of bananas.