April 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Easy 8 miler tonight, as I added in some big bridge crossings to help prep me for the hills in my next marathon. Debating if I should do a 167 mile cross-state bike ride next Sunday instead of my final 20 miler (and just do the 20 tomorrow instead), but I don't want to mess too much with my running plan. Still, it would help me with my cycling challenge mileage goal.

4/1 - 8 miles
    4/2 - 5 miles
    4/4 - 8 miles

Total: 21 miles
    Goal: 145 miles
    Remaining: 126 miles
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    4/4 7.46 miles on 1 hr, 15 minutes
    20.92 total, 63.08 to go.
    Today I ran the Bloomsday course for the 1st time. I'm pretty disappointed in my time, but I have a few ideas for taking off some time. I think I need to work a hill workout in at least once a week, cuz it sure took me a long time to get back to a decent pace after Doomsday Hill. Anyone here doing Bloomsday this year?

Also, it was time for new shoes, but wouldn't you know it, I had them laced too loosely causing a sizeable blister between the ball of my foot & toes. Anyone have advice on how to quickly get a blister to heal?

• Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

@shanaber thank you, you have been a big help in my attempt at becoming a runner once again!
  • Beccajayn
    Beccajayn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    April Goal 60 miles

4/1: unplanned and unwelcome rest
    4/2: planned rest
    4/3: 3.43
    4/4: 4.44 (no, I didn't plan that.....)

Total 7.87
    (Ticker is my goal for 2015 and accumulation to date)

exercise.png

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5 April: 5K run - 26K ride - 3K run
    Total run miles April: 23 miles
    Happy Easter :p

424b60c0983d631.png
  • LeighMartin08
    LeighMartin08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In for 70.
    4/3 - 10
    4/4 - 5
    exercise.png
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Broad Street Run Training Longest run to day 6 miles. It was rough but I did it and feel really proud of myself. Also discovered that I need to start using bodyglide..alot
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed "church" this morning ... happy Easter, y'all.

exercise.png
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    briebee7 wrote: »
    I am in for 150 miles. Less than last month but I have my Marathon April 26th and thus will be tapering a bit and resting after!
    Good luck, I just did a marathon March 29 it was my first one so you can message me if you have any questions on the whole experience.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I put body glide on EVERYTHING. I carry it in, like, every bag I own. It's the only thing I've successfully used to prevent blisters (besides really good socks). I wear it under poorly fitting dress shoes, too.
    It's pretty water resistant, so it's still effective when I go splashing through creeks and puddles (because I'm actually five years old).

Today's a bike day for me! Happy Easter/Passover/Non-religious enjoyable Sunday everyone!
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    8.1 for me on this lovely Easter morning. Brings my total to 25.45 miles so far. Not as much as some and they certainly aren't fast miles, but they are miles and I'm pretty excited about them.
  • ColleenWestico
    ColleenWestico Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    next run planned for Monday--glad I kept the miles for April low--2 miles down on April 1st, 2 more planned for April 6th--
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    1194aaf192bb80c.gif

4/1 = 3.50 miles
    4/5 = 5.54 miles
    lippiestickmama Posts: 15 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Had a great run last night. Good pace and felt strong through all 6 miles. I am tapering down even lower this week in prep for the two half marathons coming up on the next two Saturdays. Easy two mile runs planned Monday and Wednesday is all.

4/1 - 6 miles
    4/4 - 6.1 miles

exercise.png

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    dennie24 wrote: »
    I ran 6.5 miles today. That's the farthest I have gone so far and now I am feeling pretty good about being able to complete the Bolder Boulder in May. Hopefully. I do have a question about cadence. I know that the ideal cadence is 180 for a minute but is there a range that is also acceptable? My Forerunner 220 said that my cadence was 168 today and I am just curious how far off I am from where I need to be.
    exercise.png
    Congrats on your longest run so far!
    As for the cadence: I guess "were you need to be" is a question of opinion. What I read in many places is that most beginners are around 160, most elite runners 180 and over. In a study done during the Olympics 1984, 45 of 46 runners had a cadence of 180 or more. That's were the "magic 180" comes from. There are some theories saying even more is even better because that means shorter strides and less impact on your knees and such. Some sites say cadence is constant with speed, but I've also read in some places that cadence changes with the pace. In that case, your training run won't necessarily compare to your race cadence (which is the situation the Olympic's runners where in when their cadence was measured...).
    I found this blog post on the topic interesting: http://sciencebasedrunning.com/2011/07/cadence-and-injuries-once-more-with-science/
    If you want to increase that to reduce the risk of injury, that might be a nice idea. In that case you could try adding intervalls with increasing length at 5% higher cadence or something like that - there are a lot of "increase running cadence" tipps on the web. In any case, I don't think running with a cadence of 168 is a showstopper for your race in May.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    3.4.2015 : 6.1 km - first time I was able to maintain a pace less than 7 min /km for more than 5 k :-D
    5.4.2015 : 4.0 km - nice and easy run-walk run with my sister, who's also home for the holidays

exercise.png
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Jumping in a little late but it's exam month and I'm gonna need this

Gonna leave this here...

exercise.png

Was kinda disappointed with the under-representation of cat tickers.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Be careful increasing your cadence. Do it slowly and adapt to that new pace for a few runs before going up a few more strides per minute. It adds a lot of effort to your runs, so you need to treat it similarly to other increases in effort, like increasing distance no more than 10% per week for example.