How do you feel about splenda?

Options

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i was just wondering because of all the stuff they're saying about how bad diet drinks and sugar substitutes are. ugh so much info out there by so many different people :/

The science and studies prove otherwise. Of course there are plenty of people who claim all kinds of crazy things. They usually have an agenda.
  • stmariepearl
    stmariepearl Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Personally I avoid artificial foods and splenda freaks me right out! I switched from honey to NOW Better Stevia (not the same as Truvia, NOW brands first of two ingredients in the original flavor is stevia leaf extract) to save calories for other honey infused goodies, and it's doing the trick. You can get it at natural food stores, I'm not sure if it's at regular grocers, and it comes in flavors (I'm using vanilla). You add it by the drop so you can adjust the sweetness. It does have a strange taste if you use to much, but I've become accustomed to like things less sweet so it works for me. I don't know how the price matches up because I get it for free. . . but the bottle lasts ages so I'm sure its comparable.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Splenda has a weird aftertaste. I prefer equal at least it taste better. What they dont tell you is that each packet of sweetener has four calories so be careful with how much you use.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Splenda has a weird aftertaste. I prefer equal at least it taste better. What they dont tell you is that each packet of sweetener has four calories so be careful with how much you use.

^ Yup. Or if you buy the granulated loose stuff in the bag, it's 4 calories a gram. They use different fillers in the bags vs. the packets. Same calorie count, though.

As I mentioned up thread, there is a true (almost) zero calorie liquid version available on Amazon. 1 drop = 1 teaspoon. I say almost because sucralose does have a fractional amount of calories, but ... we're really picking nits to mention them. We're talking a percentage of 1 calorie here.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I prefer erythritol or stevia, and I think Equal has the worst aftertaste of all of them. Splenda isn't too bad, but I can catch a metallic taste after. I've seen just as many people say they can't stand stevia and that it has that same taste for them.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Everyone is different. I prefer erythritol or stevia, and I think Equal has the worst aftertaste of all of them. Splenda isn't too bad, but I can catch a metallic taste after. I've seen just as many people say they can't stand stevia and that it has that same taste for them.

I wonder if this is like that thing with cilantro.

I've tried so many different types of stevia. I just can't get that aftertaste to go away. I do agree with you about Equal being the worst of the rest.

• rainbowbow
    Options

I've tried so many different types of stevia. I just can't get that aftertaste to go away. I do agree with you about Equal being the worst of the rest.

what thing with cilantro? Because it tastes absolutely freaking horrible.

I like splenda and sweet n' low but i HATE the aftertaste of stevia and equal. yuck :persevere:
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I use stevia in the raw (which has dextrose). However any sweetener in any color packet will do in a pinch. I did switch to decaf coke zero from decaf diet pepsi to avoid aspertame.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

I like splenda and sweet n' low but i HATE the aftertaste of stevia and equal. yuck :persevere:

Whether or not cilantro tastes like soap is genetic. It actually tastes good to some people (I'm not one of them, so I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like).
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'd rather have my coffee with actual sugar than some processed sweetener. I just work it into my diet; I'd rather take the calories. Works for me. :) But if you like Splenda, go for it!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I put one packet in my cup of coffee because like you, I can't take it black. I even tried lowering the amount gradually to try and get to black coffee and gave up! I will use the pink or blue packets if that is what is around (like at the Y) but Splenda is what I buy at home. Usually one or two cups in the morning. If I have iced tea, I drink it unsweetened. I feel you about needing to get your sugar down. I seem to go over ever day.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Whether or not cilantro tastes like soap is genetic. It actually tastes good to some people (I'm not one of them, so I have no idea what it's supposed to taste like).

it tastes like soap and pepper to me. LOL Glad to know i'm not alone!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

I just had to google cilantro. We call it coriander in England. Wasn't aware there was a 'thing' with it!

Can't you just put milk in your coffee, no sweetener at all? I stopped having sugar in coffee years ago, and can't stand it sweet at all. If you have a decent coffee, you just need to add a small bit of milk. I don't like black coffee either.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I just had to google cilantro. We call it coriander in England. Wasn't aware there was a 'thing' with it!

Can't you just put milk in your coffee, no sweetener at all? I stopped having sugar in coffee years ago, and can't stand it sweet at all. If you have a decent coffee, you just need to add a small bit of milk. I don't like black coffee either.

We call the leaf cilantro and the seeds (as a spice?) coriander.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

We call the leaf cilantro and the seeds (as a spice?) coriander.

Thanks to google I now know you use the Spanish word for it due to their use in Mexican cuisine :). You learn something every day....

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I <3 artificial sweeteners, judge me, see if I care :joy:
  • clubbybear
    clubbybear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Splenda works for me. I use it for tea and coffee.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    I hate the aftertaste so much, it's intolerable. I don't like sugar in my coffee either, though. I use pink packets.

ugh see i can't stand the pink stuff! the yellow stuff does have an aftertaste to me but not quite as bad. i wish sugars didn't count. coffee sugar shouldn't count. the calories can but the sugars shouldn't. that's just my two cents.

Unless you have a medical condition , sugar is not "bad". If you want to use real sugar, go ahead.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I have always been an artificial sweetener person and have splenda in my coffee daily...never got the "aftertaste" UNTIL last year I gave up all artificial sweeteners....read a bunch of stuff...blah, blah, blah. It didn't take long for me to lose the taste for them and then I found the aforementioned aftertaste...ick! I went low cal in the fall and gave in to splenda again, it didn't take long before it tasted good to me again! SO, you can develop a taste for it (and lose it).

All things in moderation....or most things anyway!
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Personally I love Splenda, and I like the taste of most artificial sweeteners. I REALLY don't like Stevia, it has a very strong unpleasant taste to me.