Is it possible to shrink your stomach or reduce your hunger?

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited April 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone,

Happy Easter! I'm 22 years old and for almost a year, I've been on a diet of about 1,600 calories a day, but sometimes a bit higher on the weekends. I have lost a lot of weight since my journey began, but I always find myself struggling a bit with food. I make sure to drink plenty of water every day and keep hydrated. I drink 2 litters per day. I've always had a big appetite and can eat a lot more in a day than my husband. I try to eat pretty good foods like a turkey on whole-grain bread with lettuce, tomato, and onion, oatmeal, scrambled egg white with veggies, hard boiled eggs for snacks, special K chocolate bars, and lately I've been eating more veggies and fruits like apples, bell peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers as snacks since there low calorie options. But I always fill hungry and that I want more food. Even though I can eat a higher volume of veggies, I don't fill like they satisfy my hunger much at all. I thought my stomach would get use to eating less food after doing it for almost a year, but I feel like my appetite hasn't changed. On Saturday, I decided to eat a bit more calories since I like to treat myself sometimes because it encourages me to keep up the good work. I ate 2 turkey on whole-grain bread with lettuce, tomato, and onion, a whole cucumber and a few tomato for snacks, and for dinner we had a foot long subway club. We also each had 1 in a half chocolate chip cookies. After the club, my appetite was alright, but my husband was totally stuffed even though he only ate a few piece of candy during the day. I wonder how his appetite is always so low and he doesn't eat very much. It's crazy since I have a big appetite and am almost always hungry. You think he would be starving since he ate nothing during the day and I would be stuffed since I ate already before that! Later in the evening, I had a few handful's of rice with a few pieces of meat that was left from my family and a bowl of oatmeal while my husband had nothing else the rest of the night. That is just a example of one day. That's why I am curious if there is a way to curb your appetite without appetite suppressing medicine. Sorry for the long post, I'm just a bit confused on what to do.

Replies

• jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Here was what I ate today for Easter (I know there is a lot of bread in my list, but that's what is very common to eat here in the Netherlands and it was the only thing available to eat at our Easter brunch today)

a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread, a turkey sandwich with a hard boiled egg on it, another turkey sandwich with a hard boiled egg on it, a bread roll with butter on it, small cup of orange juice, a red bell pepper, special K bar, chicken curry sandwich, another chicken curry sandwich, dinner which was small portion of rice, small salad, fried potato balls, and 2 slices of ham. While I did go over my calorie limit for today since I was still a bit hungry after dinner and had 2 chicken curry sandwich's from a Thai store that was open next door, but it's alright since it's Easter and I don't do it often. I felt very satisfied and full, but unfortunately I can't eat like this every day or I won't lose weight.

But I do try to pick filling choices with good protein for breakfast and lunch like boiled eggs and a turkey sandwich. But I always find myself hungry a bit later and I don't know how to control it.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well, a stomach doesn't really shrink...you could reduce your hunger depending on what you eat.
    Brown rice, bananas, sweet potatoes...
    The best way to lose weight is measuring how much you eat and logging them.
    However, I am not a big fan of restaurants since I have no clue what "extras" they put in their menu. Thus, try to eat at home as much as possible. I go for a low carb, high protein diet plan.
  • jenniator
    Options
    hhnkhl wrote: »
    Well, a stomach doesn't really shrink...you could reduce your hunger depending on what you eat.
    Brown rice, bananas, sweet potatoes...
    The best way to lose weight is measuring how much you eat and logging them.
    However, I am not a big fan of restaurants since I have no clue what "extras" they put in their menu. Thus, try to eat at home as much as possible. I go for a low carb, high protein diet plan.

I really wish I could find a way to reduce my hunger. I do eat bananas and sweet potatoes. I always measure everything I eat, so that's no problem. I normally don't eat out at restaurants too often, but occasionally it's fine. :) I looked into the low carb diet before and I'm not a fan at all since it's so restrictive. I rather eat low calorie and fit things I want into my calorie limit.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I've found that after a week or two on a deficit my hunger actually re-adjusts itself. I no longer have crazy cravings or anything. :)

As far as what i eat, i find that drinking plenty of water, eating enough fat, fiber, and protein helps.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i know a piece of cheese fills me up way longer than the same amount of calories in some fruit or veggies. When i am hungry i try to reach for protein.
  • jenniator
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I've found that after a week or two on a deficit my hunger actually re-adjusts itself. I no longer have crazy cravings or anything. :)

As far as what i eat, i find that drinking plenty of water, eating enough fat, fiber, and protein helps.

It's strange because I've been eating in a deficiency for almost a year and my hunger has barely adjusted itself. I sometimes get strange cravings for junk food, but I'm mostly just always hungry for the most part. I drink 2 liters of water every day, get enough fat, fiber, and protein in. I also snack on a lot of veggies since there low calorie and I thought it would help because I like to eat large volumes of food. But they don't satisfy my hunger much.
  • thatdarncass
    thatdarncass Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree with rainbowbow. As you cut back, you will probably find your hunger start to adjust itself bit by bit. When you are feeling hungry in between meals, try to eat snacks that are full of fiber and/or protein. Try to include more vegetables in your main meals.

Personally, I plan out meals in advance and try to eat things that are lower on the glycemic index, and have found that helps me.
  • jenniator
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    i know a piece of cheese fills me up way longer than the same amount of calories in some fruit or veggies. When i am hungry i try to reach for protein.

Cheese doesn't fill me up at all ha ha. When I'm hungry, I try going for snacks that are good in protein like boiled eggs.
  • jenniator
    Options
    I agree with rainbowbow. As you cut back, you will probably find your hunger start to adjust itself bit by bit. When you are feeling hungry in between meals, try to eat snacks that are full of fiber and/or protein. Try to include more vegetables in your main meals.

Personally, I plan out meals in advance and try to eat things that are lower on the glycemic index, and have found that helps me.

I've have been cutting back calories for almost a year and don't notice much of a difference with my hunger :( I do try to eat things that will fill me up longer like boiled eggs or bananas, but they don't satisfy me for long. I do snack on veggies during the day and eat some at dinner. :)
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Although you can't "shrink" your stomach, you can help yourself feel more satisfied by eating more high volume veggies. Think 1/2-3/4 of every meal as coming from vegetables with the remaining 1/4-1/2 coming from protein and fat. Just veggies as a snack doesn't fill me up as much as veggies with nuts or hummus or cheese.

When I say high volume, I mean like, 1 lb of broccoli in one sitting. I also tend to drink close to 4 liters of water a day, plus additional liquids in the form of coffee (appetite suppressant for me) and tea.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I tried to help by checking out your diary and specifically your macros but you have no logged in days and days. Have you quit logging?
  • jenniator
    Options
    Although you can't "shrink" your stomach, you can help yourself feel more satisfied by eating more high volume veggies. Think 1/2-3/4 of every meal as coming from vegetables with the remaining 1/4-1/2 coming from protein and fat. Just veggies as a snack doesn't fill me up as much as veggies with nuts or hummus or cheese.

When I say high volume, I mean like, 1 lb of broccoli in one sitting. I also tend to drink close to 4 liters of water a day, plus additional liquids in the form of coffee (appetite suppressant for me) and tea.

I wish there was a way to naturally shrink your stomach ha ha :) I have been eating a lot more veggies lately and try to add it in every meal I eat. Like if I have a turkey sandwich, I will put on a lot of lettuce, tomato, and onions. But veggies don't tend to fill me up much unfortunately. Although I don't eat 1 pound of broccoli in one sitting. But I have eaten 1 cucumber, 1 apple, and 3 tomatoes in one sitting and it didn't make a difference at all.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Your stomach can stretch, but it doesn't shrink. You become accustomed to eating smaller amounts and feeling full. Make sure you're not over restricting and getting lots of fats and protein (keeps you sated longer).
  • jenniator
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I tried to help by checking out your diary and specifically your macros but you have no logged in days and days. Have you quit logging?

I actually haven't logged on MFP for ages. I do however keep track of my calories and weigh everything I eat including the veggies. I always write the calories on a piece of paper and track it during the day. But I always forget to add them on MFP and if I do, I think what's the point since I already have them written down on paper and can see them. Although I must admit, I don't keep track of macros as much as calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jenniator wrote: »

I actually haven't logged on MFP for ages. I do however keep track of my calories and weigh everything I eat including the veggies. I always write the calories on a piece of paper and track it during the day. But I always forget to add them on MFP and if I do, I think what's the point since I already have them written down on paper and can see them. Although I must admit, I don't keep track of macros as much as calories.

Maybe you should try for a week or two and see what your macros look like. I ran into a little problem the other week and was so happy I could check all my macro data and fix myself up again.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Your stomach can stretch, but it doesn't shrink. You become accustomed to eating smaller amounts and feeling full. Make sure you're not over restricting and getting lots of fats and protein (keeps you sated longer).

I think that might be my issue. Since I've always been heavy and have always eaten a lot, I think I stretched my stomach too much. :( I wish there was a way to reverse it. I've been eating smaller amounts for over a year, but I haven't got accustomed to it. I definitely am not over restrictive. :) I do make sure to eat healthy proteins and fat. It's strange because a turkey sandwich will keep me more satisfied than 2-3 boiled eggs though, but not very long still.
  • jenniator
    edited April 2015
    Options

Maybe you should try for a week or two and see what your macros look like. I ran into a little problem the other week and was so happy I could check all my macro data and fix myself up again.

That's a good idea :D I did track my macros months ago and they were fine. But I haven't lately since I figured I was eating good enough and calorie count is more important. Although it is difficult to count every macro since every night, someone in our family makes dinner. So it's a bit hard to calculate macros when I don't know 100% what they added. Calorie count is no problem though since I always save plenty of calories for dinner. :)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said protein. I would add fat to that. Fat definitely helps with my hunger. So, butter, bacon, olive oil, avocado may be something to try.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I think that might be my issue. Since I've always been heavy and have always eaten a lot, I think I stretched my stomach too much. :( I wish there was a way to reverse it. I've been eating smaller amounts for over a year, but I haven't got accustomed to it. I definitely am not over restrictive. :) I do make sure to eat healthy proteins and fat. It's strange because a turkey sandwich will keep me more satisfied than 2-3 boiled eggs though, but not very long still.
    Although it doesn't shrink, it returns to its normal size :wink:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    you cant stretch your stomach out. it stretches enough to accommodate food but once its empty it goes back to the size it was. how many grams of protein and healthy fats are you getting a day? if not enough that could be why you are always hungry. are you really active? if so you may not be eating enough food. you have to ask yourself am I really hungry or am I bored? upset,anxious,etc. if you eat because of those reasons then it could be emotions driving you to eat.if you feel hungry often try eating every 3-4 hrs and see if that helps.