Fussy eater!!

13»

Replies

• imicklea
    imicklea Posts: 12 Member
    I used to be a very picky eater, the only vegetable I would eat was corn. But have been working to change my habits and found that the biggest problem is getting used to the tastes and textures. I have started doing smoothies where I add in lots of veggies now but in beginning only a little. I guess what I'm trying to say is you can retrain your taste buds but it takes time, start by adding in a bite or 2 of a new food and do it several times and slowly increase how much you eat from there. Also do you drink pop? Like coke or other sweetened drinks? I found that they messed with my taste buds and made me prefer sweet tastes vs savory.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    I used to be a very picky eater. I think it had to do with growing up in a family where the things everyone else liked were things I had no desire to eat, but I had no choice. My mom would cook things like sardines, corned beef, and liver, all covered with onions (which to this day are one of three foods I refuse to touch under any circumstances).

What helped me was getting older, having control of my own diet and learning to cook. I moved abroad for a year and that was a big part of it too- I lived in the food capital of the world, and I made a vow to at LEAST try everything once (barring onions, mayonnaise or pickles, all of which I still find revolting). There were a lot of successes (mussels, escargot, mustard, olives, wine, espresso, the list goes on) and a few things that were a big fat fail (oysters, pimms cups, pate, foie gras).

Anyway, my point is there are a world of foods out there that you probably can like if they are cooked and seasoned properly! I hope that you can bring yourself to try them out.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    My diary is open if you want to take a peek for some food ideas - Although yesterday I had some Easter treats so just ignore that lol then I didn't eat very much the rest of the day because the easter candy gave me an upset tummy.