I don't know what I'm doing wrong

Options
2»

Replies

• brokentide
    brokentide Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    brokentide wrote: »
    The reason why the weight isn't coming off is most likely because of the high amount of carbohydrates and sodium. You need to raise the amount of protein and fat - eat less processed foods and more vegetables, whole eggs, and meat. Also minimize or eliminate grains and fruit if you can. Forget about exercise for now, what you eat has much more of a bearing on a person's weight than an extra hour or two at the gym.

If she was eating at a calorie deficit, the amount of carbohydrates wouldn't matter.

The sodium could cause some eater retention. The real issue, however, is likely that OP is eating more calories than she thinks.

She's barely eating any vegetables, of course it has a bearing on the overall macronutrient ratio. It stimulates a low thyroid function that makes it extremely difficult to lose weight when the body is getting empty calorie foods from poor sources.

P.S. - I personally don't believe in the MFP IIFYM philosophy that all calories are supposedly created equal, so let's agree to disagree on this matter.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    brokentide wrote: »

She's barely eating any vegetables, of course it has a bearing on the overall macronutrient ratio. It stimulates a low thyroid function that makes it extremely difficult to lose weight when the body is getting empty calorie foods from poor sources.

P.S. - I personally don't believe in the MFP IIFYM philosophy that all calories are supposedly created equal, so let's agree to disagree on this matter.

If you don't believe in how energy works, I am not sure where the conversation can progress. For the purposes of those who accept science, I will just add that OP can't really know, based on her current logging, how many calories she is consuming. Reducing her consumption of carbohydrates may result in introducing a caloric deficit, but it won't address the actual root cause of the issue - - which is likely inexact logging.

If you have a source saying that the human body will not lose weight at a deficit when vegetable consumption is low, please feel free to share it.

Obviously, if OP has symptoms of thyroid issues, she should get those checked out.

• cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you need to lose? How much do you weigh, and how tall are you?

If you spent some time eating only 900 calories and then started eating normally, then of course that'll explain the weight gain. Give your body time to adjust to eating a normal amount.

Did you used to exercise, or is that new? I've heard on here that new exercise can cause water retention.

I also wouldn't be weighing myself on Easter Mon either lol.

I haven't looked at your diary, but from what others say you need to tighten up your logging.

I weigh 190 and I'm 5 foot 5.

I always exercised but the only exercise that I did in the past was walking.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It looks to me as if you are eating more calories than you think.

The things you are logging are really subject to large errors with calculation of how many calories are in them. Eating out is really tough and unless you are preparing it yourself it is very difficult to be accurate.