this diet is expencive

Options
last month i started this diet i bought $150 in frozen meals snacks and drinks it cut my family short my fiancee needs 3000+ cals my son and baby have there food but i am having a hard time figuring out how to do this a lot cheaper any ideas

Replies

• ashleybarnette1986
    ashleybarnette1986 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Meal ideas recipes would help too have tried just salad before it don't last i end up binge eating and gaining allot of weight
  • ashleybarnette1986
    Options
    Meal ideas recipes would help too have tried just salad before it don't last i end up binge eating and gaining allot of weight
  • ashleybarnette1986
    Options
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Are you following a particular 'diet' or just calories in vs calories out?
  • ashleybarnette1986
    Options
    calories in vs out its working
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    check out budgetbytes.com simple, healthy, and nutrious meals all on a budget.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    pinterest
  • ashleybarnette1986
    Options
    thanks for the tips im going right now
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What about things like:

chicken breasts
    rice
    beans
    lean hamburger
    Slow Cooker Recipes Under 300 Calories
    100 Calorie Snacks and Treats
    Low-Calorie Family-Friendly Meals

Slow Cooker/Crockpot meals are awesome. You can make a big batch of something, portion it out and freeze the portions. You then have meals for several days that all you have to do is heat up. They also make great family dishes and come out a lot cheaper than buying frozen meals.

Rice is awesome. 3lb bag (not the instant stuff, this takes about 15 mins to cook) will last awhile and can be used in a lot of things. Campbells has a Sweet & Sour Chicken Skillet sauce thing that my husband made for his work lunch. All he needed was a couple chicken breasts, rice and the sauce pack. It made him 3 meals (2 servings a meal), but it would have been 6 for me.
  • ashleybarnette1986
    Options
    wow i like crock-pot food i always thought it was high cal
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

You can make anything in a crock pot! From soups to roast beef! Nice soft vegetables covered in great sauces.
  • kss1231
    kss1231 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    There is no need to have different foods for you and the family, you can all eat the same things. CICO is what counts. Weigh your foods and move more and you will do fine. Crock pot food is only as fattening as you make it. Lean protein, veggies and legumes and you have a very affordable meal that tastes pretty good. Try this site for some recipes https://www.crock-pot.com/recipes.html. Good luck. :-)
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would avoid frozen meals. They are expensive, as you have found out, and high in sodium. I think you will find it much cheaper and better for you if you make things from scratch. My daughter and I started shopping the outside of the grocery store and found we lost weight without much effort. Frozen veggies are good but the frozen meals, not so much. Instead of buying "snacks" you can use boiled eggs, cheese, nuts, fruit and vegetables for snacks. You will find them more filling and less expensive. Buy on sale, in bulk when you can and search the web for low cal recipes.
  • ashleybarnette1986
    Options
    thank you all btw the crock-pot link is awesome
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    frozen entrees and meals add up quickly and you can make them yourself alot cheaper with less crap in them. Oatmeal or eggs for breakfast are cheap. Cans of water packed tuna are cheap. Mix the tuna with some plain greek yogurt and spices or balsamic and throw it on a bed of lettuce. That's a cheap and quick lunch. Roast a whole chicken...you eat the white mean and family eats the dark and white and use the bones to make homemade soup. The bones make the broth and add in some no salt chicken broth and water as a base, throw out the bones and strain then add a bunch of veggies. I try to make things homemade as much as possible and it isn't hard to eat well on a budget.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Plan out your meals, create a shopping list and stick to it and generally avoid the centre aisles of the store where all the crap is. I stick to the outside and just the other things I need specifically like natural peanut butter and tuna I'll go in that aisle. Avoid packaged foods like crackers, cookies, fruit snacks etc.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

all food is high calorie if you eat enough of it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Yes buying prepackaged frozen meals for all your eating is very expensive. I have a few on hand in the freezer for "just in case" days. Definitely eat pretty much the same foods as your family.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com :)
  • Jessikin13
    Jessikin13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Marcia661 wrote: »
    www.skinnytaste.com :)

Her recipes are the best!