Replies

• jodilynn783
    jodilynn783 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks!
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Have you tried canned salmon or sardines. I'm not a big fish eater so can't really recommend much else.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    If I go low carb the calories go up.. I can do about 1/2 the day on lower carbs but at dinner no so much..

Beef Jerkey and Pork Rinds (may sound nasty but it is quick go too and does the job)
    Eggs hard boiled (or however you like it)
    I make wraps with cheese and turkey or cheese and turkey (I skip the bread)
    Yogurt can have a lot of added sugar/carbs so make sure you look at the labels if you choose something other than plain ole yogurt or greek (I use Dannon Oikos Triple Zero)

Also, the Muscle Milk is 40 grams of protein (knockout chocolate). I do this on workout days.

For a quick breakfast I fry two eggs and two slices of Canadian bacon, and also do a breakfast with yogurt, small amount of fruit and about 10 almonds.

For lunch I do the sandwich wrap and then for dinner it is my family time so this is where I give most of my calories of the day...
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Yikes, my calorie limit is 1200 if I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I'm not spending my calories on almonds.

As for my protein increase, carb decrease, this seems to be the ratio for losing belly fat in addition to exercise. I must say I do see a difference after only a week of counting calories and carbs.

Nope, you can't spot reduce...it's just not possible. Your body will lose weight wherever it wants...your genetics determine how you lose weight. Exercise also cannot target any specific place to lose weight. So you can do all the ab exercises in the world and you will build up the muscles but you will still have the layer of fat over them.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you eat fish, shrimp is practically pure protein. Love to have mine steamed or on a salad. Also look at lobster and crab.
  • davis978
    davis978 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You should do a search of the forums - this comes up all the time.

Also, I use pinterest a lot for ideas. This is a board I really love, but there are lots of other great ones out there:

https://www.pinterest.com/lonestarplate/moderate-carb-high-protein-vegan/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yikes, my calorie limit is 1200 if I want to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I'm not spending my calories on almonds.

As for my protein increase, carb decrease, this seems to be the ratio for losing belly fat in addition to exercise. I must say I do see a difference after only a week of counting calories and carbs.

Nope, you can't spot reduce...it's just not possible. Your body will lose weight wherever it wants...your genetics determine how you lose weight. Exercise also cannot target any specific place to lose weight. So you can do all the ab exercises in the world and you will build up the muscles but you will still have the layer of fat over them.

exactly and if you are lifting start eating more...why 1.5lbs a week? You have 8lbs to lose...1/2lb a week would be better.

The only way to lose belly fat is to lose fat, all over.

• Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Why is 40% considered high? Isn't that what zone is? I do 40% protein and I'm a vegetarian.
  • jodilynn783
    Options
    I have been told by a personal trainer that the 40% protein, 30% fat and carb ratio is ideal for weight loss and muscle tone. As for losing weight in certain areas I realize you can't spot lose but I am noticing a difference in my belly. Perhaps I am losing it all around but I notice it most in my stomach? : )
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    @jantonik529 I'm using those macros as well. Being a vegetarian and getting protein was a challenge for me. I do liquid egg whites, greek yogurt, tuna, beans, and protein powder usually once a day.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have been told by a personal trainer that the 40% protein, 30% fat and carb ratio is ideal for weight loss and muscle tone.

This is not necessarily true. While in a deficit it is important to increase protein, but not necessarily to be set blindly at 40%. Here is a more accurate formula. Take your weight in kilograms and multiply by 1.6. That should be a sufficient amount of protein.
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are not dieticians or nutritionists. 40% for protein is very high and 30% for carbs is very low
  • jodilynn783
    Options
    I don't eat meat either and can relate to the challenge. I've been sticking to plain, Greek yogurt, eggs, tuna and 2% cottage cheese to help boost my protein. I think I'll need to add protein powder.
  • jodilynn783
    Options
    Will work on figuring out my weight and protein ratio. I find it quite surprising to see how many foods I thought were healthy have high amounts of simple carbs. This has been an eye opening of experience for me.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    slucki01 wrote: »
    40% for protein is very high and 30% for carbs is very low

Not necessarily...

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    tzarba wrote: »
    Why is 40% considered high? Isn't that what zone is? I do 40% protein and I'm a vegetarian.
    In a lot of cases, that is substantially more than the body can utilize.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    tzarba wrote: »

I believe Zone is 40% carb, 30% protein and fat.

But 40% is high because there's no need to get more than (at most) your lean mass in grams (and the official recommendation is less).

If you eat really low calories (which there's also often no need to do), like 1200, 40% is 120, so might make sense for someone with a lean mass of 120 (which would mean at a 25% BF percentage someone who weighs about 160. However, for many others it makes no sense at all. I'm only 125 and am eating at about 1900 calories, so 40% protein would be 190 grams of protein, which is entirely unnecessary.

Protein also tends to be more expensive and to come coupled with either carbs or fat (especially if you can't eat lean meat (because vegetarian) and don't want to eat a ton of protein supplements or fake meats). Thus, there's no reason to aim for 40% in general. There are people it might make sense for, but for most not, and advice from a personal trainer that it's some ideal ratio seems silly.

The bigger issue, I think, is that right now people are suspicious of carbs (and reducing carbs does tend to reduce water weight), and yet many are still scared of fat, so protein seems like the good guy. But that's not a good approach to food and leads to people over-consuming protein (usually with no harm, however, but it's certainly not necessary).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Will work on figuring out my weight and protein ratio. I find it quite surprising to see how many foods I thought were healthy have high amounts of simple carbs. This has been an eye opening of experience for me.

Like what?

There's nothing wrong with simple carbs. Fruit are basically simple carbs, and fruit is good for you.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Macros are important depending on what you're trying to achieve. If it's just weight loss, then it matters little. Fat has more calories than protein so a diet higher in fat will net you more calories per gram of food you intake meaning less food you can eat throughout the day. If you're trying to gain or retain muscle while losing fat then a diet that is higher in protein and carbs is more important to provide the energy for your workouts and to repair muscle fibers.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I have been told by a personal trainer that the 40% protein, 30% fat and carb ratio is ideal for weight loss and muscle tone. As for losing weight in certain areas I realize you can't spot lose but I am noticing a difference in my belly. Perhaps I am losing it all around but I notice it most in my stomach? : )

Everybody loses it in different places at different rates. You might be one of the lucky ones that loses it in the belly quicker than most although you are likely losing it elsewhere as well.