2 hour cardio ?

Options

Replies

• ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

Cardio doesn't always mean using a cardio machine in a gym. Have you ever gone mountain biking, played paintball, rode a dirtbike? I would never call that boring and they're all intense cardio workouts that can easily last all day.

Well it seemed to me like she meant on a treadmill....I know cardio includes other activities but I have a feeling she meant the machines.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

a43aec536d26d8488ebcd107e02ab57907dc2c1a8a1b3a184bfa923a0a04ccb9.jpg

Why do you care how I use it??? o.o lol
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I enjoy running I love my long distance runs call it me time (meditation time) or what ever. Why would you bash some one who is doing what they enjoy and it is working for them. Granted I would benefit more if I incorporated some form of resistance training with my hippie runs, yes. By the way early on they said weight training was bad for you also, along with fat, along with carbs, what else have they said were bad oh yea eggs too much cholesterol. There are plenty of people who dedicate training to long distance running.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol

I'm not sure why anyone would do this outside of some specific training goals...i.e. they're training for an endurance event of some kind...and most people training for an event are going to go out of their way to train in an environment similar to that of the event (i.e. not on a machine indoors).

Most people who train for this type of purpose also know how to properly fuel that activity for recovery and performance gains...people just jumping on an elliptical or something for 2 hours probably don't know much about much and may in fact have what is known as exercise bulimia.

I regularly have rides that go 2 hours plus, but I also regularly participate in endurance cycling events...and I eat.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you on a treadmill or elliptical machine??? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

This Hippie does.

Do you see at any point .... at absolutely any point OP referring to word "weight loss" in their post.

Heck we are not even in Weight Loss section.
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I cycle long distance so my training reflects that. Two 4 hour rides this Easter weekend as I'm training for a 205km event.

My typical weekly routine is 3 days one hour strength training, 2 days one hour cardio sessions (mostly bike related but not exclusively) to fit in my lunch break, 1 long ride at the weekend.

What is your reason for wanting to do 2 hours of cardio?

I don't lol I was just curious . I hate cardio but I was wondering why people would do so much maybe they learned to love it or already loved it . Maybe I could learn to love it so much lol
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Yes but only because I have a half marathon coming up. Never on a machine though because that's boring.
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Lol i
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol

why, on god's green earth, would anyone want to spend two hours on a machine?

have no idea *shrugs* maybe they love the machine ? Or in a serious competition ?
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »

I enjoy running I love my long distance runs call it me time (meditation time) or what ever. Why would you bash some one who is doing what they enjoy and it is working for them. Granted I would benefit more if I incorporated some form of resistance training with my hippie runs, yes. By the way early on they said weight training was bad for you also, along with fat, along with carbs, what else have they said were bad oh yea eggs too much cholesterol. There are plenty of people who dedicate training to long distance running.

Well I'm not a marathon runner so I wouldn't know that. And I'm just saying...if you're on a MACHINE...it's a waste of time and stupid. Just wanting to let that out as to this day, people still believe that. If you're just running down a trail...that's fine but like I said...I'm not a marathon runner. My goal is to preserve muscle and lose fat while on a moderate deficit.
  • ebyla85
    Options
    True
    belgerian wrote: »

everyone has their reasons why . I just thought I'd ask.
    Curious George here <<<
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Yes but only because I have a half marathon coming up. Never on a machine though because that's boring.

I agree machines are so boring
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you on a treadmill or elliptical machine??? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

This Hippie does.

Do you see at any point .... at absolutely any point OP referring to word "weight loss" in their post.

Yeah but it's fitness and exercise and still applies....you never know what she meant....that's why I said it just in case there were any naive people who still believe this stupid myth. Cardio and weight lifting applies to fitness and exercise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Perhaps they are training for their sport?

In winter I watch quite a few games of rugby (or other TV programs) on a training bike or elliptical - too cold for me to train outdoors. So instead sitting on my *kitten* on the sofa watching the game I'm working my *kitten* off and still enjoying watching the game.

Is it so surprising that people have different fitness goals?

• ebyla85
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Depends on the cardio :wink:

Lol oh ook I see
  • ebyla85
    Options
    Oh that's understandable
    csuhar wrote: »
    Not for workout purposes. I've done cardio-type activities for long periods, though, but it's usually for non-exercise reasons (walking around town or hiking) or for specific task conditioning (ruck-marching).

When it comes to exercise, I'm pretty much at or below 30 minutes.

interesting just to see why people do it so long . :)
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

This Hippie does.

Anyway...I was right as the OP did say in one of her previous posts: "Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol" So I was right in why I said that.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I could never do that on a machine in a gym. I do go on strenuous dayhikes that can last 6-8 hours.

I tend to do 35-40 minutes of high intensity gym cardio about 4 days a week (rowing and/or incline treadmill). Then on the weekends, I might do 50-60min of cardio one day and hike the next (assuming good weather). One floating day a week is a rest day.

Two days a week, I lift.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Agree!! Cardio machines bore the heck out of me!!
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Agree!! Cardio machines bore the heck out of me!!

Agreed
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »

a43aec536d26d8488ebcd107e02ab57907dc2c1a8a1b3a184bfa923a0a04ccb9.jpg

Again with the hippie/judgmental talk.

AbmNMur.gif

Maybe some people just like their cardio. Maybe they're training for something. People here tend to assume everyone who works out is trying to lose weight. That's not always the case.

kanye-west-shrug.jpg