RID THE FAT - DRINK H2O (WATER)

124

Replies

  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    And what are you talking about "liquid state"?

    That's when you piss fat. Obviously.

    It's great for making gravy.

    Ooohhhh... so that's like people that tried that Alli stuff....
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    Should we also say "you lose weight by breathing"?

    God, if only that were true...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,764 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    And what are you talking about "liquid state"?

    That's when you piss fat. Obviously.

    It's great for making gravy.

    Ooohhhh... so that's like people that tried that Alli stuff....

    Wrong hole :noway:
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited April 2015
    glevinso wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    And what are you talking about "liquid state"?

    That's when you piss fat. Obviously.

    It's great for making gravy.

    Ooohhhh... so that's like people that tried that Alli stuff....

    Wrong hole :noway:

    Well, it's the right hole if you use that tea the other chick was talking about.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,764 Member
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    And what are you talking about "liquid state"?

    That's when you piss fat. Obviously.

    It's great for making gravy.

    Ooohhhh... so that's like people that tried that Alli stuff....

    Wrong hole :noway:

    Well, it's the right hole if you use that tea the other chick was talking about.

    Lovely. :laugh:
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Molecular science...if you look at the chains for solid vs. liquid fats, you will see the missing link between the two are 2 hydrogen atoms.

    For the body to metabolize solid fat it has to be broken down into liquid state. H2O is A WAY[/b for that to happen.

    Common knowledge in Human Bio classes for anyone who has taken one.

    You guys can chat amongst yourselves now...you guys are extreme downers...

    What the actual f**k?

    The random bolding kind reminds me of the Time Cube guy
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Molecular science...if you look at the chains for solid vs. liquid fats, you will see the missing link between the two are 2 hydrogen atoms.

    For the body to metabolize solid fat it has to be broken down into liquid state. H2O is A WAY[/b for that to happen.

    Common knowledge in Human Bio classes for anyone who has taken one.

    You guys can chat amongst yourselves now...you guys are extreme downers...

    What the actual f**k?

    The random bolding kind reminds me of the Time Cube guy

    ]
  • jaliving
    jaliving Posts: 57 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    Nobody is claiming you don't need water. That would be a ridiculous hyperbole.

    The OP is talking about water being some magical ingredient for lipid metabolism. Of course it is required, as is oxygen. Should we also say "you lose weight by breathing"?

    Yea, I wouldn't say it is a magic ingredient either, but I would say it is an overlooked one by most. I don't think people realize how crucial water is for us. If you are dehydrated, your kidneys, liver, nutrient transport, everything works inefficiently. A fat person needs their systems running as best as possible. They do not just simply need water, but they need lots of it.

  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    edited April 2015
    The weight we lose is actually breathed out as CO2 (84%) and water (16%). Yes, water is part of the process (excreting in pee, poop, sweat, breath, etc.) but drinking more water will not cause you to lose weight.

    This is the simplest explanation I've ever seen. It's designed so a middle school science student would understand.

  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    I drank water once...


    It was horrible.
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Ooh, fun!! It seems easy to think "I'm drinking so much water and I'm peeing more, therefore, I'm peeing out the fat," but in reality, we produce far more waste by breathing than by using the toilet.

    Seriously, here's an article explaining the study re: where the fat goes: http://www.livescience.com/49157-how-fat-is-lost-body.html

    "The researchers showed that during weight loss, 84 percent of the fat that is lost turns into carbon dioxide and leaves the body through the lungs, whereas the remaining 16 percent becomes water, according to the study published today (Dec. 16) in a special Christmas issue of the medical journal BMJ."
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,600 Member
    Food contains various amounts of water depending on the food, so if water is the magic ingredient here to fat loss, what about the water content of food?

    I guess that inherent water content doesn't count because something something.
  • gbel1975
    gbel1975 Posts: 86 Member
    Seriously, here's an article explaining the study re: where the fat goes: http://www.livescience.com/49157-how-fat-is-lost-body.html

    From this article:

    "[T]o burn 10 kilograms (22 lbs.) of fat, a person needs to inhale 29 kg (64 lbs.) of oxygen. And the chemical process of burning that fat will produce 28 kg (62 lbs.) of carbon dioxide and 11 kg (24 lbs.) of water, the researchers calculated."

    In other words you DO NOT require water to lose fat.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    The whole "drinking 8 glasses of water a day" thing is a complete myth. Understand this - a TOTAL FABRICATION. It is based on a common misunderstanding of a much older report based on the TOTAL amount of water human beings need in a day. This amount of water includes the water you get from all food sources and beverages. Drinking plain water is not magic and will do nothing for you that drinking water mixed with a flavoring agent will not do.
  • Rampant328
    Rampant328 Posts: 134 Member
    Snowflakesav is pretty accurate. Fat in storage (aka, triglycerides) is composed of three atoms, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon. When fat is metabolized for energy 86% of these atoms form CO2 and are exhaled. The other 14% forms H2O and is used in bodily fluids like tears, saliva, urine, blood, etc. 64lbs of exhaled carbon dioxide equates to 22lbs of fat burned (per a study done at the University of New South Wales in Australia, scientists have known how fat leaves the body for years but this university was the first to perform the measurements) The utility in this information is that ONE NEEDS TO RAISE THEIR HEART RATE TO 50% TO 85% OF THEIR MAXIMUM HEART RATE FOR 30 TO 60 MINUTES TO "BURN" FAT. Working out with less intensity won't burn fat very quickly. Working out above your target heart rate will cause the body to metabolize muscle tissue for energy. Working out for less than 30 minutes and your fat loss will be noticeably slower. Working out for longer than 60 minutes and the body will again metabolize muscle tissue for energy. Since it takes approximately 15 to 50 calories (depending on the study that you're reading) to maintain one pound of muscle tissue and only 2 calories to maintain one pound of fat, the body, "sees", the muscle tissue as an expensive luxury and will use and save the fat. The other part of the equation is diet and rest. The saying is that, "you can't out exercise your diet", is true. Adequate rest allows the body to rebuild and maintain.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,764 Member
    Rampant328 wrote: »
    Snowflakesav is pretty accurate. Fat in storage (aka, triglycerides) is composed of three atoms, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon. When fat is metabolized for energy 86% of these atoms form CO2 and are exhaled. The other 14% forms H2O and is used in bodily fluids like tears, saliva, urine, blood, etc. 64lbs of exhaled carbon dioxide equates to 22lbs of fat burned (per a study done at the University of New South Wales in Australia, scientists have known how fat leaves the body for years but this university was the first to perform the measurements) The utility in this information is that ONE NEEDS TO RAISE THEIR HEART RATE TO 50% TO 85% OF THEIR MAXIMUM HEART RATE FOR 30 TO 60 MINUTES TO "BURN" FAT. Working out with less intensity won't burn fat very quickly. Working out above your target heart rate will cause the body to metabolize muscle tissue for energy. Working out for less than 30 minutes and your fat loss will be noticeably slower. Working out for longer than 60 minutes and the body will again metabolize muscle tissue for energy. Since it takes approximately 15 to 50 calories (depending on the study that you're reading) to maintain one pound of muscle tissue and only 2 calories to maintain one pound of fat, the body, "sees", the muscle tissue as an expensive luxury and will use and save the fat. The other part of the equation is diet and rest. The saying is that, "you can't out exercise your diet", is true. Adequate rest allows the body to rebuild and maintain.

    Oh dear.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 46,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Well, if you want to stick with facts one needs to accept that water is critical to Cellular Respiration, whose rate of which is the definition of Metabolism (Metabolic Rate). For cells to create ATP (Energy), they need H2O (Both for the Oxygen and the Hydrogen). Too little water and the rate of Cellular Respiration (Metabolism) slows down.

    This is 8th Grade Biology, not witchcraft or mysticism. Most people go about their days dehydrated. If your mouth is dry, you are dehydrated. Being dehydrated means you have already slowed down your metabolism. You should not wait until you are thirsty to drink. You should drink to prevent being thirsty. Again, not voodoo or make-believe, but Science and fact.

    For more information and to learn the facts of Cellular Respiration and your Metabolic Rate, Google it - or watch this cool video:
    This isn't the statements issued though.
    Was asked to show how drinking water "speeds" up metabolism. Not that it's NOT part of metabolism.

    And how does it convert solid fat into liquid fat? Lipolysis and lipogenesis is what I was taught and that doesn't break fat down into "liquid fat" but free fatty acids and glycerol to be used for energy. Yes there hydrolysis involved, but that happens whether one drinks 30oz of water a day or 100oz of water a day. The amount of water ingested isn't going to disrupted the process unless one is very dehydrated.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 46,488 Member
    glevinso wrote: »
    Nobody is claiming you don't need water. That would be a ridiculous hyperbole.

    The OP is talking about water being some magical ingredient for lipid metabolism. Of course it is required, as is oxygen. Should we also say "you lose weight by breathing"?

    Yea, I wouldn't say it is a magic ingredient either, but I would say it is an overlooked one by most. I don't think people realize how crucial water is for us. If you are dehydrated, your kidneys, liver, nutrient transport, everything works inefficiently. A fat person needs their systems running as best as possible. They do not just simply need water, but they need lots of it.
    This is the statement the OP should have made about water and lack of not consuming enough of it.

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,040 Member
    Rampant328 wrote: »
    Snowflakesav is pretty accurate. Fat in storage (aka, triglycerides) is composed of three atoms, oxygen, hydrogen, and carbon. When fat is metabolized for energy 86% of these atoms form CO2 and are exhaled. The other 14% forms H2O and is used in bodily fluids like tears, saliva, urine, blood, etc. 64lbs of exhaled carbon dioxide equates to 22lbs of fat burned (per a study done at the University of New South Wales in Australia, scientists have known how fat leaves the body for years but this university was the first to perform the measurements) The utility in this information is that ONE NEEDS TO RAISE THEIR HEART RATE TO 50% TO 85% OF THEIR MAXIMUM HEART RATE FOR 30 TO 60 MINUTES TO "BURN" FAT. Working out with less intensity won't burn fat very quickly. Working out above your target heart rate will cause the body to metabolize muscle tissue for energy. Working out for less than 30 minutes and your fat loss will be noticeably slower. Working out for longer than 60 minutes and the body will again metabolize muscle tissue for energy. Since it takes approximately 15 to 50 calories (depending on the study that you're reading) to maintain one pound of muscle tissue and only 2 calories to maintain one pound of fat, the body, "sees", the muscle tissue as an expensive luxury and will use and save the fat. The other part of the equation is diet and rest. The saying is that, "you can't out exercise your diet", is true. Adequate rest allows the body to rebuild and maintain.

    Oy.