How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Oh wait- hold on- what are the nasty side effects of birth control? I've been on it for years- I need to know what damage I've done!!!!

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but... they've probably stopped you from getting pregnant all those years. And possibly decreased any acne outbreaks you might otherwise have had. I'm sure there's a support group. ;)

The fact that I have not spawned any child far outweighs any possible side effects.

Plus my cramps used to be a giant *kitten*. Thanks birth control for making me less of a giant fire-breathing *kitten*.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Oh wait- hold on- what are the nasty side effects of birth control? I've been on it for years- I need to know what damage I've done!!!!

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but... they've probably stopped you from getting pregnant all those years. And possibly decreased any acne outbreaks you might otherwise have had. I'm sure there's a support group. ;)

DAMNNNNIIIITTTTTTT HOW COULD I HAVE GONE ALL THESE YEARS WITHOUT KNOWING THIS!!!!

AND the lack of raging horomonal PMS *kitten* breakouts? those too- unwanted side effect- I love turning into a raging bit2h once a month!!

Oh wait- I guess that whole every 3 month period thing is a side effect too?

look at that.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

You've missed out on the personal growth afforded one by massive.freaking.cramps.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    If this girl were my daughter ... I can't even.

I love the "If everyone took liquid iron, chewables wouldn't exist" argument... when she won't take either of them.

You speak of side effects for everything you mention? Spare me. They are RARE. The common one for iron is constipation and you can get around that with eating fiber and drinking water.

You are making nothing but excuses and giving into a phobia.

Stop coddling yourself and grow up.

Has anyone suggested cutting up the solid pills then so they are easier to swallow?

Also WHY won't she take the chewable ones, because they'll probably taste too good (as i'm sure they are flavoured)? I used to live off of FLinstones flavoured multivitamins as a kid, they weren't gummies but were chewable, and tasted like chalky candy to me.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Don't eat them if they taste bad. Amazes me the amount of posts that start with I don't like this, how do I make it taste better?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

I love the "If everyone took liquid iron, chewables wouldn't exist" argument... when she won't take either of them.

You speak of side effects for everything you mention? Spare me. They are RARE. The common one for iron is constipation and you can get around that with eating fiber and drinking water.

Has anyone suggested cutting up the solid pills then so they are easier to swallow?

Also WHY won't she take the chewable ones, because they'll probably taste too good (as i'm sure they are flavoured)? I used to live off of FLinstones flavoured multivitamins as a kid, they weren't gummies but were chewable, and tasted like chalky candy to me.

I took iron for a while- most of them are tiny- like 3 mg sized- you can't get the horse sized ones unless they are prescribed.

Seriously- I think my melatonin pills are bigger than my iron pills.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    dp
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

there was a brilliant suggestion way back on page 2 or 3 (maybe?), to crush the iron pills and sprinkle onto the honey nut cheerios.
    seems like a great option to me.

edited to add: cinnamon toast crunch is my go-to dry cereal of choice.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also, why can't we stay on topic and just discuss iron rich foods and how to correct this anemia?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/iron-rich-foods?page=1
  • kryztoval
    kryztoval Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Why hasn't anyone suggested Agave Syrup/Nectar? it is really sweet, and has 0 calories... that would probably make those plain cheerios a lot cheerier without packing up calories. Bear in mind, as with any other sweetener other than sugar, that some people find the taste to be sour instead of sweet. So, try it before batch making 1000 boxes of chearios. You have been warned! :D

http://www.webmd.com/diet/the-truth-about-agave

Wait... are you telling me I was not suppossed to feed a FAD trend into this thread? Oh well, too late for that!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There have been 2 doctors I'm familiar with (one of them my mom used to see and another used to be my PCP). They have both switched to holistic medicine. Why would they do this if medication is so safe?

The side effects of birth control are well known. There were 2 sisters who took it and both had a stroke within months of each other. It also can cause blood clots. I've heard about a lot of people who don't have anxiety who never wanna take birth control pills. If you want to take them, that's your choice but I do not want to take them and I'm not going to.

Side effects are not potential. Side effects occur with every medication. I know several people on SSRIs and it messed up their thyroid so they're now on thyroid medication. But when they lowered the dose, their thyroid went back to normal. Unfortunately they couldn't get off the SSRIs cause they needed it so bad so they now have to take 2 medications since one caused the need for another.

Also, why can't we stay on topic and just discuss iron rich foods and how to correct this anemia?

And I know lots of people, including myself, who have taken all those meds and have had either no side effects or very minor ones. That's why anecdotal evidence is usually dismissed in favor of scientifically observable and measurable evidence.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

That’s what you would think although I'd have to ask a nutritionist to be sure since there seems to be something specific about red meat. I believe that’s why I could breathe better that day and felt so much better the next couple of days. I ate such a large amount of it, it was probably equivalent to eating red meat. A teenager might have this issue but anemia results from years and years of having your period and not enough iron in the diet so a 13 year old would be a lot less likely to have this than an adult. You make a very good point! That does make sense, it’s just that I have severe anxiety so that’s why I struggle to just power through it.

If menstruation is causing your severe anemia, you might consider hormonal birth control.

I'm not taking birth control. Those have side effects way worse than any iron supplement. My periods aren't even heavy, they're moderate. I don't need birth control. I need to eat more iron rich foods.

Like a pound of Cheerios?

Also your aversion to pills and medication AND to food is getting ridiculous. I've been on anti-depressants, birth control, and I've taken the odd medication for other things (prescribed after procedures or OTC stuff). I had virtually no negative responses to any of these. Side-effects are POTENTIAL, they will not occur for everyone. If they do, the brand and/or amount is changed.

There have been 2 doctors I'm familiar with (one of them my mom used to see and another used to be my PCP). They have both switched to holistic medicine. Why would they do this if medication is so safe?

The side effects of birth control are well known. There were 2 sisters who took it and both had a stroke within months of each other. It also can cause blood clots. I've heard about a lot of people who don't have anxiety who never wanna take birth control pills. If you want to take them, that's your choice but I do not want to take them and I'm not going to.

Side effects are not potential. Side effects occur with every medication. I know several people on SSRIs and it messed up their thyroid so they're now on thyroid medication. But when they lowered the dose, their thyroid went back to normal. Unfortunately they couldn't get off the SSRIs cause they needed it so bad so they now have to take 2 medications since one caused the need for another.

Because they aren't NOT safe. Otherwise we'd all be dead. Trololol.

Side-effects are again POTENTIAL, they do not occur in all patients. Clotting with birth control is also known to be a greater issue for women over 35yo (which you aren't) and for certain brands (which is why I refused to switch to Yaz when I was still on BCP).

"Every woman reacts differently to the hormones in birth control pills. Some women experience side effects, such as:decreased sex drive, nausea, bleeding between periods, breast tenderness. These effects usually improve after a few months. If they do not, talk to your doctor about whether you might do better on a different pill.

There are multiple risks associated with birth control pills. One serious complication associated with combined hormonal contraceptive use is an increased risk of blood clotting. This can lead to: deep vein thrombosis, heart attack, stroke, pulmonary embolism. Overall, the risk of a blood clot is low. According to the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, out of 10,000 women, only about six to nine women will develop a blood clot after taking the pill for a year. This is still lower than a woman’s risk of developing a blood clot during pregnancy and immediately post-partum. However, the risk is higher for certain women. This includes women who are: very overweight, suffering from high blood pressure, on bed rest for long periods"

Are you any of this? No? Then your chance of blood clot is low.

Side effects ARE potential. If everyone experienced the "possible side effects" that are listed on medications then no one would be taking ANY medications.

And yes, anti-depressants also have potential side effects. These friends of yours could have tried OTHER brands and types of ADs, btw. Not all ADs are SSRIs. As someone who has been suicidal, if I had to pick between being suicidal and taking 0 medication and being not suicidal and taking 2 medications, I'd pick the latter.

At this point I'm just going to assume that you are making crap up, and have been this entire time, and I'm calling really irritating troll.

Here's an iron-rich food:
    0068113174933_215X215.jpg
    Well, not a food. Crush it up and sprinkle it over your Cheerios.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

There was a previous thread about this. She was looking for a better tasting alternative. They tasted so bad she had to spit them out and eat something else to try to get the taste out of her mouth.
    Good lord, I can't believe I remember that.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP, people have been trying to give you good advice, but you don't want to hear it if it doesn't mean you can eat cereal for all your iron needs. Honestly, if your anemia is that bad, you should prioritize your health over your aversion to pills/supplements. A little discomfort from taking a pill seems like a small price to pay for improved health and well-being. If 13 pages of responses hasn't proven it already, there's not some magic remedy to your problem, and you're either going to have to eat a *kitten* load of Cheerios or suck it up and do something out of your comfort zone to correct the deficiency.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    skullshank wrote: »
    dp

1170_1236646826720_400_289.jpg

This discussion has been closed.