How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I love Apple Cinnamon Cheerios. I don't buy them anymore because I don't think I would be satisfied with just one serving and I'd rather use my calories elsewhere. Same for about 95% of all cold cereals.

I remember back when I was a teenager, getting out a box of plain Cherrios, pouring an unknown amount into a bowl (probably 3-4 servings worth), and then breaking out the sugar. Oh I would pile it 4-8 tsp deep. Eating that milk soaked sugar with the Cherrios was delicious.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've been taking liquid iron supplements almost daily for ten years, and never had my dentist or a doctor comment on me having or being at risk of stained teeth. Even if I had noticed that, I'd take that over fainting in public places, getting dizzy climbing stairs, and feeling so tired all the time I wanted to cry.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Cheerio's are amazing just the way they are?

Unless we are on vacation or I cook pancakes, my husband eats dry cheerios EVERY SINGLE MORNING for breakfast. And has since before I met him. He also eats them for a snack a couple times a week. I like plain cheerios, but with milk.

Oh! It's nice to know I'm not the only one who will eat dry cereal as a snack! I thought I was just a weirdo.

I mean... I'm still a weirdo... but for other reasons.

Not at all, I keep plain original cheerios in a glass container on my desk for munching. HOney Nut would be OK but the sugar coating on them makes my fingers sticky, so the plain ones are cleaner for work. ANother good one for that is Captain Crunch, but I haven't done that since I cut sugar back.

Duh, just use a spoon or wear gloves!
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    *Disclaimer* I did not read the whole thread, I just saw that there was 9 pages of thread about cheerio's and that made me chuckle. Carry on!

pip_pip_cheerio.png
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    OP, HERE IS MY ADVICE.

I said it over and over again as every.single.week. you post about the same thing. You need to talk to a THERAPIST about your irrational fear of supplements. Until then, no cereals are going to get your iron levels back where they need yo be.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    *Disclaimer* I did not read the whole thread, I just saw that there was 9 pages of thread about cheerio's and that made me chuckle. Carry on!

Seriously, you should read it all. It's grrrrrreat!
  • jennifershoo
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what OP's diet looks like with all this cereal, but no milk/dairy because calcium impedes iron absorption. Where are all the non-iron nutrients?

I do have cereal with milk for breakfast but it doesn't give me anywhere close to what I need since like you said calcium inhibits iron absorption. So that's why I'm trying to get more iron in my snack. I don't like popular iron foods like red meat or dark green leafy vegetables besides hotdogs, broccoli, and lettuce.

I'm getting non-iron nutrients I need. My B12 and D are normal. I know my Vitamin C is normal cause I have over 100% just in breakfast from orange juice and that doesn't include everything else during the day. I get plenty of calcium from the milk and I eat cheese daily. So overall I'm getting most of the nutrients I need. I just need iron.

Stop eating milk with your cereal and increase your hotdog, broccoli, and lettuce intake.

Lol! I never heard someone saying "increase your hotdog intake" B)

• jennifershoo
    Options
    Those of you who said I need to incorporate more naturally containing iron rich foods like meat, beans, dark chocolate, etc are right. I'm still gonna have my cereal but I need to add in more naturally containing iron foods.

I understand some of you are frustrated with me but there's no reason to be rude and keep making comments regarding my age. Obviously a 13 year old wouldn't be this low in iron.

To the person who said to just take a liquid iron supplement, that is not an option for me. I have braces (and yes I am an adult with braces) and my orthodontist has advised me against it. Liquid iron turns your teeth black. Even my regular doctor told me it stains your teeth and tastes horrible and she wouldn't do it.

I have an important question. I know that red meat is rich in iron and it can correct anemia. I have looked up red meat and the iron content varies from 10% to 15% per serving. The ground turkey meat I eat has 8% iron per serving. I don't see a huge difference here. So why would red meat work and ground turkey meat not work?

A couple weeks ago I had pasta with turkey meatballs and lima beans. I had more of the meat and less of the pasta. I normally have more pasta than meat. I also had a Vitamin C rich popsicle for dessert. I felt like I could breathe better and it lasted a couple days. I could stand up while getting dressed instead of sitting on my bed. I felt so much better! So does ground turkey meat work? Do you just have to eat a lot of it? I'm not understanding what it is about red meat since the iron percentages are close.

Are you kidding me?!!!!!! That's the bullshitiest excuse i've ever heard! I had braces for 4 years as an adult, taking liquid iron supplement DOES NOT turn your teeth black. Every excuse is good not to take a supplement. Your mental issue is making you miserable, irrational and unhealthy. Seek professional healp.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Those of you who said I need to incorporate more naturally containing iron rich foods like meat, beans, dark chocolate, etc are right. I'm still gonna have my cereal but I need to add in more naturally containing iron foods.

I understand some of you are frustrated with me but there's no reason to be rude and keep making comments regarding my age. Obviously a 13 year old wouldn't be this low in iron.

To the person who said to just take a liquid iron supplement, that is not an option for me. I have braces (and yes I am an adult with braces) and my orthodontist has advised me against it. Liquid iron turns your teeth black. Even my regular doctor told me it stains your teeth and tastes horrible and she wouldn't do it.

I have an important question. I know that red meat is rich in iron and it can correct anemia. I have looked up red meat and the iron content varies from 10% to 15% per serving. The ground turkey meat I eat has 8% iron per serving. I don't see a huge difference here. So why would red meat work and ground turkey meat not work?

A couple weeks ago I had pasta with turkey meatballs and lima beans. I had more of the meat and less of the pasta. I normally have more pasta than meat. I also had a Vitamin C rich popsicle for dessert. I felt like I could breathe better and it lasted a couple days. I could stand up while getting dressed instead of sitting on my bed. I felt so much better! So does ground turkey meat work? Do you just have to eat a lot of it? I'm not understanding what it is about red meat since the iron percentages are close.

Are you kidding me?!!!!!! That's the bullshitiest excuse i've ever heard! I had braces for 4 years as an adult, taking liquid iron supplement DOES NOT turn your teeth black. Every excuse is good not to take a supplement. Your mental issue is making you miserable, irrational and unhealthy. Seek professional healp.

Also I've never heard of a doctor choosing a patient's taste buds and teeth aesthetics over remedying their health woes. I mean, my doctor doesn't choose to not do a blood test if it's required simply because they make me queasy and I start bawling my eyes out when it happens.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Patient: Can barely get out of bed or sit up
    Doctor: Don't take what you need, honey, it will stain your teeth, have some Cheerios instead.

image.jpg?w=552&c=1
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I don't know why I'm even back on here but I'm gonna be getting the Multigrain Cheerios and trying those. If I like those, I'll start having a serving or serving and a half every day which would give me 50-67.5% of iron.

If I don't like those, I'm gonna have to stick with regular Cheerios. Am I able to put sugar on them even though I'm not having them with milk? Or I could try having them in trail mix like someone suggested and adding other things to make it taste good. Or at the last resort, I could just power through it. But who wants to eat something they don't like?

I realize many of you like plain Cheerios and that toddlers eat them. Toddlers haven't had a lot of sugary foods so to them regular Cheerios taste delicious. I've eaten Honey Nut Cheerios for years as well as other sugary breakfast cereals so I'm used to a sugary taste. There's nothing wrong with me not liking them. If everyone liked them, Honey Nut Cheerios wouldn't exist. But I need more iron than those can provide.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with obtaining iron through cereal. A lot of people have corrected anemia through Total cereal. So what that it's added to it and not there naturally? That's exactly how a supplement is. The iron is added to it and not there naturally. It doesn't mean anything.

So.... cereal you don't know whether you like or suffer through eating something you KNOW you dislike instead of just taking an iron supplement that you can get in liquid form?

How old are you, 13? If you're fine eating cereal that you dislike with added iron, maybe just take a fracking supplement so you can eat food you actually like.

And you apparently aren't around many toddlers..... pretty sure I lived off of sugary food from an early age.
    I'm sure I devoured this cake, yo
    11315_10151488971576427_448640511_n.jpg?oh=eeef3597ae3ed1ef26928d18be2ab2f2&oe=55B155EF

also, look at all that candy/chocolate!
    1464687_10152050734101427_1674702853_n.jpg?oh=35f6af8e4296becd2ee712084a448d0e&oe=55BC127D&__gda__=1436146122_b9b0d3b3757be9783ebf4aed8f2cb2f2

Why was the kid crying?

Because she knows under all that icing, it's just a giant plain Cheerio.
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just lick each one first, then dip them in the sugar, then eat them. Easy peazy.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Why was the kid crying?
    [/quote]

Because she knows under all that icing, it's just a giant plain Cheerio.[/quote]

I think one of my ribs just cracked!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I don't know why I'm even back on here but I'm gonna be getting the Multigrain Cheerios and trying those. If I like those, I'll start having a serving or serving and a half every day which would give me 50-67.5% of iron.

If I don't like those, I'm gonna have to stick with regular Cheerios. Am I able to put sugar on them even though I'm not having them with milk? Or I could try having them in trail mix like someone suggested and adding other things to make it taste good. Or at the last resort, I could just power through it. But who wants to eat something they don't like?

I realize many of you like plain Cheerios and that toddlers eat them. Toddlers haven't had a lot of sugary foods so to them regular Cheerios taste delicious. I've eaten Honey Nut Cheerios for years as well as other sugary breakfast cereals so I'm used to a sugary taste. There's nothing wrong with me not liking them. If everyone liked them, Honey Nut Cheerios wouldn't exist. But I need more iron than those can provide.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with obtaining iron through cereal. A lot of people have corrected anemia through Total cereal. So what that it's added to it and not there naturally? That's exactly how a supplement is. The iron is added to it and not there naturally. It doesn't mean anything.

So.... cereal you don't know whether you like or suffer through eating something you KNOW you dislike instead of just taking an iron supplement that you can get in liquid form?

How old are you, 13? If you're fine eating cereal that you dislike with added iron, maybe just take a fracking supplement so you can eat food you actually like.

And you apparently aren't around many toddlers..... pretty sure I lived off of sugary food from an early age.
    I'm sure I devoured this cake, yo
    11315_10151488971576427_448640511_n.jpg?oh=eeef3597ae3ed1ef26928d18be2ab2f2&oe=55B155EF

also, look at all that candy/chocolate!
    1464687_10152050734101427_1674702853_n.jpg?oh=35f6af8e4296becd2ee712084a448d0e&oe=55BC127D&__gda__=1436146122_b9b0d3b3757be9783ebf4aed8f2cb2f2

Why was the kid crying?

Because she knows under all that icing, it's just a giant plain Cheerio.

ROFL... nicely done
  • freefallebby
    freefallebby Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't even.... this thread is... I don't... know. OP, join Pinterest, search for "cheerio recipes" and you're done. Pinterest is magical.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I love Apple Cinnamon Cheerios. I don't buy them anymore because I don't think I would be satisfied with just one serving and I'd rather use my calories elsewhere. Same for about 95% of all cold cereals.

I remember back when I was a teenager, getting out a box of plain Cherrios, pouring an unknown amount into a bowl (probably 3-4 servings worth), and then breaking out the sugar. Oh I would pile it 4-8 tsp deep. Eating that milk soaked sugar with the Cherrios was delicious.

My brother regularly ate some type of chocolate cereal (Cocoa Puffs, Cocoa Krispies, etc.) with chocolate milk and chocolate syrup. And not when he was just a kid either - I remember him doing this well into adulthood. He probably still does as far as I know. He also became addicted to cocaine although he's overcome that. Apparently, massively overinfused chocolately cereal is a gateway drug.

This discussion has been closed.