How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sugar-pouring-o.gif
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just ask Iron Man for some help
    0d87d21559_IronMan.gif
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    skullshank wrote: »
    I'd just take iron tablets if your iron is that low. :)

Wait wait, I have an idea, grind the iron pills into a powder and sprinkle it on the cheerios. Your eyes will make your brain think the powder is sugar.

but it wont TASTE better! PLZ PAY ATTENTION!

How do you know? Have you done it? What kind of support is this forum.

you know what, you're right.
    i apologize for being a bully.

OP, i think MrM is onto something here!

let us know how it goes!

Why would I try it? I'm not lacking iron. I eat a T-Bone steak every day for breakfast. And I eat cheerios. T-Bone steak coated in Cheerios. That's how I make my plain Cheerios taste better.

You're definitely not lacking iron but you could potentially be having other health problems. A steak for breakfast isn't healthy. Did you know that eating red meat every day like that majorly increases your risk of heart problems?

Also you can get too much iron. I hope you don't cook your steak in cast iron. You might wanna get checked for hemochromatosis.

Did you know that everyone who breathes oxygen eventually stops breathing oxygen?
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Quot+runaway+train+never+going+back+quot+_ac4d02fd18b77f69c2338be4d531bd2b.gif
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Wait wait, I have an idea, grind the iron pills into a powder and sprinkle it on the cheerios. Your eyes will make your brain think the powder is sugar.

let us know how it goes!

Why would I try it? I'm not lacking iron. I eat a T-Bone steak every day for breakfast. And I eat cheerios. T-Bone steak coated in Cheerios. That's how I make my plain Cheerios taste better.

You're definitely not lacking iron but you could potentially be having other health problems. A steak for breakfast isn't healthy. Did you know that eating red meat every day like that majorly increases your risk of heart problems?

Also you can get too much iron. I hope you don't cook your steak in cast iron. You might wanna get checked for hemochromatosis.

Hemochromatosis is hereditary. It's not caused by cooking in cast iron pans.

It's also caused by too much iron in the diet. I've heard of several cases where men were cooking in cast iron and got the condition. Their doctor told them to stop cooking in cast iron and it went away. So yes you can get too much iron in the diet.

No, you can't. It's hereditary/genetic. Someone who has the condition can overload on iron from everyday sources, because their bodies can't process it properly. But it's not caused by iron intake. It's very difficult to overdose on iron from normal food sources and the small amount that comes from cooking in cast iron. You'd have to be taking a large amount of iron supplements to cause an overdose.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    kristydi wrote: »
    Isn't the iron in cereal added, not naturally there? If that's the case, I'd just eat what I liked and take a supplement.

OP has posted here a few times before. She is an extremely picky eater (almost like a toddler), and she has an irrational fear of swallowing a pill, she won't eat Flinstone's vitamins, and she usually refutes helpful suggestions saying that they won't work for her.

I'm not personally attacking OP, as I'm sure she's an overall nice person, but that is how her threads usually pan out.

Is she trolling or something?

pure-encapsulations-iron-liquid2.jpg

I honestly don't know.

I'm sure she has some reason why she can't take the liquid iron supplement. It may upset her delicate taste buds?

too wet?

tasting-something-bitter.jpg

^Poor OP.

Is that a glass of wine? I don't like wine, I feel for this woman.

You know, I'm not sure. It looks frothy, so maybe it's some kind of beer?

Or it could be toilet water. I don't know.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

let us know how it goes!

It's also caused by too much iron in the diet. I've heard of several cases where men were cooking in cast iron and got the condition. Their doctor told them to stop cooking in cast iron and it went away. So yes you can get too much iron in the diet.

No, you can't. It's hereditary/genetic. Someone who has the condition can overload on iron from everyday sources, because their bodies can't process it properly. But it's not caused by iron intake. It's very difficult to overdose on iron from normal food sources and the small amount that comes from cooking in cast iron. You'd have to be taking a large amount of iron supplements to cause an overdose.

Its not quite that the body can't process it correctly. An average person is capable of absorbing 5-10% of the iron in food. People with Hemochromatosis can absorb 20-30% of the iron from food.

ETA: well, I guess that would be "not processing it correctly". phuq.

Pepper is right: High Iron does not equal hemachromatosis. Hemochromatosis is high iron caused by C282Y or H63D mutations in the HFE gene or by having 2 copies of the HFE gene.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

let us know how it goes!

Its not quite that the body can't process it correctly. An average person is capable of absorbing 5-10% of the iron in food. People with Hemochromatosis can absorb 20-30% of the iron from food.

Pepper is right: High Iron does not equal hemachromatosis. Hemochromatosis is high iron caused by C282Y or H63D mutations in the HFE gene or by having 2 copies of the HFE gene.

Thanks! That is a better explanation than mine. :-)
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Isn't the iron in cereal added, not naturally there? If that's the case, I'd just eat what I liked and take a supplement.

OP has posted here a few times before. She is an extremely picky eater (almost like a toddler), and she has an irrational fear of swallowing a pill, she won't eat Flinstone's vitamins, and she usually refutes helpful suggestions saying that they won't work for her.

I'm not personally attacking OP, as I'm sure she's an overall nice person, but that is how her threads usually pan out.

Is she trolling or something?

pure-encapsulations-iron-liquid2.jpg

I honestly don't know.

I'm sure she has some reason why she can't take the liquid iron supplement. It may upset her delicate taste buds?

too wet?

tasting-something-bitter.jpg

^Poor OP.

Is that a glass of wine? I don't like wine, I feel for this woman.

You know, I'm not sure. It looks frothy, so maybe it's some kind of beer?

Or it could be toilet water. I don't know.

It looks like Guinness. I make that face too. I think it tastes like meat. Hey wait a minute! lightbulb01_32.png
  • BicepsAndBows
    BicepsAndBows Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love cereal, and cheerios are one of my favorites, so you are in luck!
    Some of my favorite ways to spice it up and make them a little more flavorful are:
    - Sprinkle some Truvia all natural zero calorie sweetener on top
    - Use unsweetened chocolate almond milk on them instead of regular milk
    - Use unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a Tsp. or two of cinnamon
    - Slice up some bananas and strawberries and mix in with them
    - Dice up half a fresh apple and add that and some cinnamon! Tastes like apple jacks :)

Enjoy!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Christ. Have you tasted iron pills? *shudder*

Yeah, I took the humongous ones when I was pregnant. Not super fun, but I'm also not 3 years old, so I did what I had to do.

Hence why I'd rather just swallow them than crush them and sprinkle them! :D
  • sullus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I love cereal, and cheerios are one of my favorites, so you are in luck!
    Some of my favorite ways to spice it up and make them a little more flavorful are:
    - Sprinkle some Truvia all natural zero calorie sweetener on top
    - Use unsweetened chocolate almond milk on them instead of regular milk
    - Use unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a Tsp. or two of cinnamon
    - Slice up some bananas and strawberries and mix in with them
    - Dice up half a fresh apple and add that and some cinnamon! Tastes like apple jacks :)

Enjoy!

Truvia is FAR from "all natural". Granulated sugar is a better and more natural choice
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is a thread. Oh wait, it is MFP. Never mind...

Actually what shocks me here are the number of adults that are 1) overly picky eaters (seriously people, get over that, being a kid is over) and 2) the number of people who can't seem to adult (if you have a problem, be an adult about it and fix it and quit whining)
  • sullus
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Actually what shocks me here are the number of adults that are 1) overly picky eaters (seriously people, get over that, being a kid is over) and 2) the number of people who can't seem to adult (if you have a problem, be an adult about it and fix it and quit whining)

who-let-me-adult.jpg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

let us know how it goes!

Did you know that everyone who breathes oxygen eventually stops breathing oxygen?

100% of people who consume dihydrogen monoxide DIE!

edited to add: lol @ steak for breakfast being unhealthy
    edited to add more: lol @ the entire post that contains the steak bit, and the cast iron skillet bit. lotta lulz in here.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

Pretty much this. Pull on the big girl panties and do what needs to be done.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Agreed. The other night my four-year-old pitched a full-on tantrum because I tried to get him to eat squash. Ain't no place for that in the adult world.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    leahraskie wrote: »
    I assume you want to eat the regular ones because they are healthier than the honey nut ones... If you add sugar and honey they become a pretty decent chunk of calories compared to the other varieties. Just eat the honey nut ones.

No I want to eat the regular ones cause they have twice as much iron as the honey nut and my iron is really low. I saw a nutritionist and she wants me to eat more iron rich foods and Cheerios was on the list she gave me.

I started buying Whole Grain Total because it has a lot of nutrition, more than most cereals. But it tastes bland. I had been buying Vanilla Almond Special K because I love it...and had been mixing it in to my Vanilla Greek Yogurt. (I hate cereal with milk.)

Vanilla Almond Special K is more calories than Total but quite inferior nutritionally. I realized that when I mixed it with the yogurt, I didn't taste the Special K much, just the yogurt and the texture.

So ...I now crumble up the Total and mix it into the yogurt. Tastes no different than it did with the special K, but has 10 fewer calories, lol...and lots more nutrition, including iron.

Try that. Or try putting the cheerios in yogurt.

• sullus
    Options

Agreed. The other night my four-year-old pitched a full-on tantrum because I tried to get him to eat squash. Ain't no place for that in the adult world.

applesauce-1426686166.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

applesauce-1426686166.gif

Pretty much how it went down. And squash > applesauce, all day erry day.
This discussion has been closed.