How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    leahraskie wrote: »
    I assume you want to eat the regular ones because they are healthier than the honey nut ones... If you add sugar and honey they become a pretty decent chunk of calories compared to the other varieties. Just eat the honey nut ones.

No I want to eat the regular ones cause they have twice as much iron as the honey nut and my iron is really low. I saw a nutritionist and she wants me to eat more iron rich foods and Cheerios was on the list she gave me.

Maybe look for different iron-rich food or take an iron supplement :/
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Mix the the unsweet cereal with the sweet one.
    Have fresh or dried fruit with the cereal.
    Use the cereal on top of yogurt.

I personally like the plain cheerios with salt and butter. I don't eat that much anymore. Maybe you could add different spices and make a not sweet snack out of them.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    wash down every bite with nutella
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you are trying to cut back on sugar? I did because Diabetes and frankly I prefer the plain now. I don't think you will like plain unless you got used to sugar free all the time.

We eat our pumpkin protein pancakes with plain greek yogurt and fruit. Syrup is too sweet now.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    wash down every bite with nutella

KED0va5.gif
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    leahraskie wrote: »
    I assume you want to eat the regular ones because they are healthier than the honey nut ones... If you add sugar and honey they become a pretty decent chunk of calories compared to the other varieties. Just eat the honey nut ones.

No I want to eat the regular ones cause they have twice as much iron as the honey nut and my iron is really low. I saw a nutritionist and she wants me to eat more iron rich foods and Cheerios was on the list she gave me.

i've been eating cheerios daily as a snack with soymilk to get my iron up as well. i put cinnamon, sweet n low, & a little bit of banana in mine. if you're eating them plain without milk, shake em up with healthy kettle corn or nuts & cinnamon. i also like adding plain cheerios on top of ice cream with sugarfree chocolate syrup. i honestly dont mind their plain taste. i even like plain bland oats lol

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,962 Member
    Options
    Suga, yes please. :D
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    What about making your own trail mix, like Bits and Bytes?
    http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2013/05/homemade-bits-and-bites/

You could add other things that have good amounts of iron, like pumpkin seeds and almonds.

Then, you could maybe follow it with a vitamin C-rich smoothie or juice drink to promote absorption.
  • julianpoutram
    julianpoutram Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I like the honey nut ones but not the regular ones. The regular ones just taste sugarless, like they have no taste.

Is there a way to make them taste like the honey nut ones or at least taste good? I'm eating them plain, not with milk.

I've heard you can put sugar on them but like what kind or does it matter? And wouldn't it just fall into the bowl and only stick to a few of them?

Thanks in advance!

Cut your sugar intake, eat them plain. Do this for long enough and you won't need them sweetened anymore.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Is there a reason you are trying to cut back on sugar? I did because Diabetes and frankly I prefer the plain now. I don't think you will like plain unless you got used to sugar free all the time.

We eat our pumpkin protein pancakes with plain greek yogurt and fruit. Syrup is too sweet now.

I'm not trying to cut back on sugar. I'm trying to increase my iron. Regular Cheerios have a lot more iron than Honey Nut.

It's likely the sugar you are missing. Since you are eating them dry, adding sugar doesn't seem very feasible. I'd try mixing them with chopped apple.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you drink a protein shake daily, add that to it instead of milk. That's what I do with my oatmeal instead of water. So I end up with chocolate oatmeal. Delucious
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you drink a protein shake daily, add that to it instead of milk. That's what I do with my oatmeal instead of water. So I end up with chocolate oatmeal. Delucious

Totally didn't read you're entire post, you're looking to eat them dry... Yea idk.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who thinks Cheerio's are amazing just the way they are?
  • AndreaEIE
    AndreaEIE Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I add cinnamon to mine.
This discussion has been closed.