How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    I'm now thinking of bacon wrapped Cheerios.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Eat fruit loops.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    I like regular cheerios.
  • ValGogo
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I read this as Cheetos

In which case you can make Cheerios better by replacing with Cheetos.

Also serious answer... just eat the honey nut ones and/or add milk? Like dafuq, there will be just a slight calorie difference. I much prefer honey nut Chex to the plain so I eat honey nut way more than I do the regular, but I like both. i also like both dry, but if I want a bowl of cereal and not just something crunchy to snack on, I'll eat it with cereal.

This thread is weird, man.
    Yeah weird....like not necessary at all. Haha. Nice use of dafuq BTW. :wink:
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you're looking for iron, don't forget dark chocolate and cocoa powder. Both have more iron per ounce than beef liver.

Also - most breakfast cereals have a lot of iron. Multigrain cheerios have 51% more iron than regular. (62 mg vs 40mg)

Spinach as an iron source is questionable at best. It doesn't have that much at all. Spring mix has more than 2x the iron of spinach.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion that might work: You can make rice crispy treats with cheerios instead of rice crispies. It will make them more delicious, but maintain the no-milk-needed, store at room temp quality of them at the same time, and not be too messy to eat.

If you like nuts themselves, adding some peanut butter or a handful of peanuts will add additional iron and a little protein.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    There's no way to make one cereal into another. If you like the honey nut ones, keep eating them. Mix them with the regular cheerios to give you a slight iron boost. Take an iron pill. Start with half a pill though and ease yourself into it. A full pill right away can cause constipation. Take a multivitamin with iron in it. Eat iron enriched bread. Try some beef jerky or turkey jerky.

You can't rely on a cereal to keep you healthy. Cereals are over processed and usually over sugared. You need to diversify.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    leahraskie wrote: »
    I assume you want to eat the regular ones because they are healthier than the honey nut ones... If you add sugar and honey they become a pretty decent chunk of calories compared to the other varieties. Just eat the honey nut ones.

No I want to eat the regular ones cause they have twice as much iron as the honey nut and my iron is really low. I saw a nutritionist and she wants me to eat more iron rich foods and Cheerios was on the list she gave me.

It sadly doesn't work so well. Calcium gets in the way of iron absorption in the stomach (as do several other things). Do some research on the best ways to get iron, while my Dr recommended iron rich foods like cereals, my hematologist (who I saw for severe iron deficient anemia) said that the benefits are usually negated because of malabsorbtion.
    If you eat them dry, maybe dust them with some cinnamon to add some taste, or make a cheerio ball with some peanut butter and nuts/flax/chia seeds.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    OK in all seriousness, I don’t know what 200% means, but as a snack cashews, pumpkin seeds, and sunflower seeds are high in iron: 1.68mg, 4.18mg, and 1.49mg per ounce respectively. Maybe try that as a snack, although they are higher in calories. Aside from that, an iron supplement works too…
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    Couldn't you just take a supplement?

I mentioned this too and no one responded to it. I dont' think anyone else has recommended this either :/
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    solution? don't eat regular cheerios. eat whatever cereal you please as long as it fits in your calories/macros. there are plenty of other sources of iron.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Isn't the iron in cereal added, not naturally there? If that's the case, I'd just eat what I liked and take a supplement.

OP has posted here a few times before. She is an extremely picky eater (almost like a toddler), and she has an irrational fear of swallowing a pill, she won't eat Flinstone's vitamins, and she usually refutes helpful suggestions saying that they won't work for her.

I'm not personally attacking OP, as I'm sure she's an overall nice person, but that is how her threads usually pan out.
  • ana3067
    Options
    AlisonH729 wrote: »
    I read this as Cheetos

In which case you can make Cheerios better by replacing with Cheetos.

But the Cheetos turn my milk orange.

Just use chocolate milk
  • ana3067
    Options
    Isn't the iron in cereal added, not naturally there? If that's the case, I'd just eat what I liked and take a supplement.

OP has posted here a few times before. She is an extremely picky eater (almost like a toddler), and she has an irrational fear of swallowing a pill, she won't eat Flinstone's vitamins, and she usually refutes helpful suggestions saying that they won't work for her.

I'm not personally attacking OP, as I'm sure she's an overall nice person, but that is how her threads usually pan out.

Is she trolling or something?

pure-encapsulations-iron-liquid2.jpg
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I honestly don't know.

I'm sure she has some reason why she can't take the liquid iron supplement. It may upset her delicate taste buds?
  • ana3067
    Options

I honestly don't know.

I'm sure she has some reason why she can't take the liquid iron supplement. It may upset her delicate taste buds?

too wet?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I honestly don't know.

too wet?

tasting-something-bitter.jpg

^Poor OP.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ok. I'm just gonna pretend like the OP is completely legit, because I have a couple good suggestions and MAYBE they can at least help someone else.

1) Multi Grain Cheerios have the same amount of iron as the original ones, and they're already lightly sweetened, so it might be a good balance. BOOM. (ETA: That took me 20 seconds to Google.)

2) Make Chex Mix (recipes ABOUND on the interwebz), but for some of the Chex and pretzels and stuff, add in some Cheerios and/or bran flakes and/or other high iron cereals - typically you can really use whatever dry stuff you want as long as you keep the dry to seasoning mixture ratio about the same. Swap out/around the nuts if you want, too, depending on calorie/macro goals. Then once it's done, add in some roasted pumpkin seeds and/or dried fruit if you're into sweet and salty. I'm sorry, that sounds frigging delicious to me, so I had to toss it out there.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options

So, basically, she wants us to tell her how to magically increase the iron in the only food she likes.. Sorry, but that's not possible. I'm not a wizard. Sometimes people have to do things they don't like. I have to go to work and pretend to be a people person every single day. I'd much rather just take an iron pill.
This discussion has been closed.