How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• tippie2015
    tippie2015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like plain Cheerios. I like to eat them as a snack.
  • tippie2015
    tippie2015 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Is there a reason you are trying to cut back on sugar? I did because Diabetes and frankly I prefer the plain now. I don't think you will like plain unless you got used to sugar free all the time.

We eat our pumpkin protein pancakes with plain greek yogurt and fruit. Syrup is too sweet now.

I'm not trying to cut back on sugar. I'm trying to increase my iron. Regular Cheerios have a lot more iron than Honey Nut.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/iron-deficiency-anemia/basics/prevention/con-20019327
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Start mixing them half and half with the kind you like.

That's actually a really good idea. Maybe you could then slowly add more regular and less honey nut.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the taste of plain Cheerios....but I will admit the smell of them reminds me unpleasantly of toddlers.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you just take a supplement?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Or just put on your big-girl panties and eat regular Cheerios. Not everything you eat needs to be coated in sugar. Seriously, if you've decided that they're the ONE THING that's going to fix your iron problem, just get over it and eat them. Or find another source of iron.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    My favorite ones are the plain ones. I like putting bananas and blueberries in there!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    No I want to eat the regular ones cause they have twice as much iron as the honey nut and my iron is really low. I saw a nutritionist and she wants me to eat more iron rich foods and Cheerios was on the list she gave me.

Ok, stick with me here. This is going to sound radical and extreme but don't overlook it so fast. I realize this is SERIOUSLY crazy stuff I"m about to say but....

How about you look for real food that contains natural iron (instead of 'enriched' foods) and eat less processed crap (don't get me wrong, I adore my Honey Nut cheerios and even enjoy the regular cheerios) but iron doesn't ONLY come from meat or cereal.

Very good sources of nonheme iron, with 3.5 milligrams or more per serving, include:
    One cup of cooked beans
    One-half cup of tofu
    1 ounce of pumpkin, sesame, or squash seeds

Good sources of nonheme iron, with 2.1 milligrams or more per serving, include:
    One-half cup of canned lima beans, red kidney beans, chickpeas, or split peas
    One cup of dried apricots
    One medium baked potato
    One medium stalk of broccoli
    One cup of cooked enriched egg noodles
    One-fourth cup of wheat germ

Other sources of nonheme iron, with 0.7 milligrams or more, include:
    1 ounce of peanuts, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, roasted almonds, roasted cashews, or sunflower seeds
    One-half cup of dried seedless raisins, peaches, or prunes
    One cup of spinach
    One medium green pepper
    One cup of pasta
    One slice of bread, pumpernickel bagel, or bran muffin
    One cup of rice

So how about you try to eat dark leafy greens once a day, add some wheat germ to all your meals (you won't even taste it), and munch on things like raisins (and other dried fruits), and pumpkin seeds during the day?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Use chocolate milk
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I read this as Cheetos

In which case you can make Cheerios better by replacing with Cheetos.

Also serious answer... just eat the honey nut ones and/or add milk? Like dafuq, there will be just a slight calorie difference. I much prefer honey nut Chex to the plain so I eat honey nut way more than I do the regular, but I like both. i also like both dry, but if I want a bowl of cereal and not just something crunchy to snack on, I'll eat it with cereal.

This thread is weird, man.

Oh good!! I wasn't the only one that read Cheetos. :smiley:

Op, if you don't like Cheerios, then eat what you like and get your iron with some other food you love. Google is your friend.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I can eat Cheerios out of the box plain. I am a big texture eater and Cheerios hit the spot for me in that respect. I also eat cold (not fried) corn tortillas for the texture.

You could also try almond, coconut, or cashew milk for sweetness.
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Isn't the iron in cereal added, not naturally there? If that's the case, I'd just eat what I liked and take a supplement.
  • AlisonH729
    edited April 2015
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Or find another source of iron.

Seriously. Red meat, chicken, beans, spinach, broccoli.

I love Cheerios. Like 2 or 3 bowls in a sitting love them. But that's a lot of calories that I could put toward other foods.
  • PlumpKitten
    PlumpKitten Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    leahraskie wrote: »
    I assume you want to eat the regular ones because they are healthier than the honey nut ones... If you add sugar and honey they become a pretty decent chunk of calories compared to the other varieties. Just eat the honey nut ones.

No I want to eat the regular ones cause they have twice as much iron as the honey nut and my iron is really low. I saw a nutritionist and she wants me to eat more iron rich foods and Cheerios was on the list she gave me.

So why not keep eating the cheerios you enjoy, and add in more iron with...other foods?

Because I'm a very picky eater and there's not a lot of iron rich foods that I like.

This is a strange thread. So there's no other food in your entire diet that provides iron instead of Cheerios? If this is such a huge deal, just eat Honey Nut Cheerios, plus a multivitamin with iron.

• AlisonH729
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I read this as Cheetos

In which case you can make Cheerios better by replacing with Cheetos.

But the Cheetos turn my milk orange.

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    Isn't the iron in cereal added, not naturally there? If that's the case, I'd just eat what I liked and take a supplement.

You are correct - they are fortified with iron, which means that it's been added to a food where it does not naturally occur.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    add milk?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Why is every thread about cereal? And they are all about cereal you don't like.
    Because breakfast is the most important meal of the day slogan?

It's not since every meal is important and whether one eats it or not is just a matter of preference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    leahraskie wrote: »
    I assume you want to eat the regular ones because they are healthier than the honey nut ones... If you add sugar and honey they become a pretty decent chunk of calories compared to the other varieties. Just eat the honey nut ones.

So mix some regular Cheerios with Honey Nut ones then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Have the honey ones.
    Add honey to the plain ones.
    Add nuts to the plain ones.
    Add nutbutter to the plain ones.
    Add honey and nutbutter to the plain ones.

OR blend them into a milkshake with honey and nut butter :smiley:
This discussion has been closed.