How to make regular cheerios taste good?

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I don't know why I'm even back on here but I'm gonna be getting the Multigrain Cheerios and trying those. If I like those, I'll start having a serving or serving and a half every day which would give me 50-67.5% of iron.

If I don't like those, I'm gonna have to stick with regular Cheerios. Am I able to put sugar on them even though I'm not having them with milk? Or I could try having them in trail mix like someone suggested and adding other things to make it taste good. Or at the last resort, I could just power through it. But who wants to eat something they don't like?

I realize many of you like plain Cheerios and that toddlers eat them. Toddlers haven't had a lot of sugary foods so to them regular Cheerios taste delicious. I've eaten Honey Nut Cheerios for years as well as other sugary breakfast cereals so I'm used to a sugary taste. There's nothing wrong with me not liking them. If everyone liked them, Honey Nut Cheerios wouldn't exist. But I need more iron than those can provide.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with obtaining iron through cereal. A lot of people have corrected anemia through Total cereal. So what that it's added to it and not there naturally? That's exactly how a supplement is. The iron is added to it and not there naturally. It doesn't mean anything.

So.... cereal you don't know whether you like or suffer through eating something you KNOW you dislike instead of just taking an iron supplement that you can get in liquid form?

How old are you, 13? If you're fine eating cereal that you dislike with added iron, maybe just take a fracking supplement so you can eat food you actually like.

And you apparently aren't around many toddlers..... pretty sure I lived off of sugary food from an early age.
    I'm sure I devoured this cake, yo
    11315_10151488971576427_448640511_n.jpg?oh=eeef3597ae3ed1ef26928d18be2ab2f2&oe=55B155EF

also, look at all that candy/chocolate!
    1464687_10152050734101427_1674702853_n.jpg?oh=35f6af8e4296becd2ee712084a448d0e&oe=55BC127D&__gda__=1436146122_b9b0d3b3757be9783ebf4aed8f2cb2f2
  • ana3067
    Options
    I'm just wondering what OP's diet looks like with all this cereal, but no milk/dairy because calcium impedes iron absorption. Where are all the non-iron nutrients?

I do have cereal with milk for breakfast but it doesn't give me anywhere close to what I need since like you said calcium inhibits iron absorption. So that's why I'm trying to get more iron in my snack. I don't like popular iron foods like red meat or dark green leafy vegetables besides hotdogs, broccoli, and lettuce.

I'm getting non-iron nutrients I need. My B12 and D are normal. I know my Vitamin C is normal cause I have over 100% just in breakfast from orange juice and that doesn't include everything else during the day. I get plenty of calcium from the milk and I eat cheese daily. So overall I'm getting most of the nutrients I need. I just need iron.

Stop eating milk with your cereal and increase your hotdog, broccoli, and lettuce intake.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I don't know why I'm even back on here but I'm gonna be getting the Multigrain Cheerios and trying those. If I like those, I'll start having a serving or serving and a half every day which would give me 50-67.5% of iron.

If I don't like those, I'm gonna have to stick with regular Cheerios. Am I able to put sugar on them even though I'm not having them with milk? Or I could try having them in trail mix like someone suggested and adding other things to make it taste good. Or at the last resort, I could just power through it. But who wants to eat something they don't like?

I realize many of you like plain Cheerios and that toddlers eat them. Toddlers haven't had a lot of sugary foods so to them regular Cheerios taste delicious. I've eaten Honey Nut Cheerios for years as well as other sugary breakfast cereals so I'm used to a sugary taste. There's nothing wrong with me not liking them. If everyone liked them, Honey Nut Cheerios wouldn't exist. But I need more iron than those can provide.

Also, there is absolutely nothing wrong with obtaining iron through cereal. A lot of people have corrected anemia through Total cereal. So what that it's added to it and not there naturally? That's exactly how a supplement is. The iron is added to it and not there naturally. It doesn't mean anything.

So.... cereal you don't know whether you like or suffer through eating something you KNOW you dislike instead of just taking an iron supplement that you can get in liquid form?

How old are you, 13? If you're fine eating cereal that you dislike with added iron, maybe just take a fracking supplement so you can eat food you actually like.

And you apparently aren't around many toddlers..... pretty sure I lived off of sugary food from an early age.
    11315_10151488971576427_448640511_n.jpg?oh=eeef3597ae3ed1ef26928d18be2ab2f2&oe=55B155EF

1464687_10152050734101427_1674702853_n.jpg?oh=35f6af8e4296becd2ee712084a448d0e&oe=55BC127D&__gda__=1436146122_b9b0d3b3757be9783ebf4aed8f2cb2f2

Why was the kid crying?
  • ana3067
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Why was the kid crying?

That's me, probably because the cake wasn't yet in my mouth.
  • sk1nnyf0rm3
    sk1nnyf0rm3 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    leahraskie wrote: »
    I assume you want to eat the regular ones because they are healthier than the honey nut ones... If you add sugar and honey they become a pretty decent chunk of calories compared to the other varieties. Just eat the honey nut ones.

No I want to eat the regular ones cause they have twice as much iron as the honey nut and my iron is really low. I saw a nutritionist and she wants me to eat more iron rich foods and Cheerios was on the list she gave me.

So why not keep eating the cheerios you enjoy, and add in more iron with...other foods?

Because I'm a very picky eater and there's not a lot of iron rich foods that I like.

I could write this, it's so true for me. As for the cheerios, maybe add yogurt or something like that to them that you like?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Why was the kid crying?

That's me, probably because the cake wasn't yet in my mouth.

Smart kid!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,458 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Cheerio's are amazing just the way they are?

Unless we are on vacation or I cook pancakes, my husband eats dry cheerios EVERY SINGLE MORNING for breakfast. And has since before I met him. He also eats them for a snack a couple times a week. I like plain cheerios, but with milk.
  • Bearthebear
    Options
    Try the multigrain version. They are gently sweetened and have only slightly less iron than the plain cheerios.
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    No I want to eat the regular ones cause they have twice as much iron as the honey nut and my iron is really low. I saw a nutritionist and she wants me to eat more iron rich foods and Cheerios was on the list she gave me.

Ok, stick with me here. This is going to sound radical and extreme but don't overlook it so fast. I realize this is SERIOUSLY crazy stuff I"m about to say but....

How about you look for real food that contains natural iron (instead of 'enriched' foods) and eat less processed crap (don't get me wrong, I adore my Honey Nut cheerios and even enjoy the regular cheerios) but iron doesn't ONLY come from meat or cereal.

Very good sources of nonheme iron, with 3.5 milligrams or more per serving, include:
    One cup of cooked beans
    One-half cup of tofu
    1 ounce of pumpkin, sesame, or squash seeds

Good sources of nonheme iron, with 2.1 milligrams or more per serving, include:
    One-half cup of canned lima beans, red kidney beans, chickpeas, or split peas
    One cup of dried apricots
    One medium baked potato
    One medium stalk of broccoli
    One cup of cooked enriched egg noodles
    One-fourth cup of wheat germ

Other sources of nonheme iron, with 0.7 milligrams or more, include:
    1 ounce of peanuts, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, roasted almonds, roasted cashews, or sunflower seeds
    One-half cup of dried seedless raisins, peaches, or prunes
    One cup of spinach
    One medium green pepper
    One cup of pasta
    One slice of bread, pumpernickel bagel, or bran muffin
    One cup of rice

So how about you try to eat dark leafy greens once a day, add some wheat germ to all your meals (you won't even taste it), and munch on things like raisins (and other dried fruits), and pumpkin seeds during the day?

you should mis your cheerios with dried apricots and almonds
  • kiwiOT
    kiwiOT Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    You're not really achieving much with the plain ones regardless anyway as they're all extremely processed. And any plain cereal will always taste bland because you've screwed up your taste buds with processed cereal. Not much you can do except suck it up, eat the most unprocessed cereal with sweet flavourful fruit like strawberries, blueberries etc you can find and wait about 3 months for your taste buds to get back to normal and treat the honey nut cheerios as you would candy - a rare treat because candy is essentially all they are..
  • ana3067
    edited April 2015
    Options
    kiwiOT wrote: »
    You're not really achieving much with the plain ones regardless anyway as they're all extremely processed. And any plain cereal will always taste bland because you've screwed up your taste buds with processed cereal. Not much you can do except suck it up, eat the most unprocessed cereal with sweet flavourful fruit like strawberries, blueberries etc you can find and wait about 3 months for your taste buds to get back to normal and treat the honey nut cheerios as you would candy - a rare treat because candy is essentially all they are..

TheShiningNotSureIfSerious_zps4767e5fb.jpg
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I'm not sure about red meat vs turkey but I believe the same comment was made about the Cheerios - you can just eat more of the ingredient that's lower in iron to meet your target, right? It also seems like this is another source you've found, which is great! If the total iron is still not coming up to what you need but you feel good, perhaps you should direct the question at your doctor

The age thing is only relevant not because a teen wouldn't have the issue (wouldn't they?), but because they might need a parent to remind them that if you have a medical condition, the remedy might not always taste good, etc but you just have to power through it. Presumably, an adult's self preservation tendencies are fully developed and they don't need external reminders of this fact....

Did not know about the liquid iron at all, that's pretty interesting!!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    OP, what vegetables do you eat?
  • ana3067
    Options
    Those of you who said I need to incorporate more naturally containing iron rich foods like meat, beans, dark chocolate, etc are right. I'm still gonna have my cereal but I need to add in more naturally containing iron foods.

I understand some of you are frustrated with me but there's no reason to be rude and keep making comments regarding my age. Obviously a 13 year old wouldn't be this low in iron.

To the person who said to just take a liquid iron supplement, that is not an option for me. I have braces (and yes I am an adult with braces) and my orthodontist has advised me against it. Liquid iron turns your teeth black. Even my regular doctor told me it stains your teeth and tastes horrible and she wouldn't do it.

I have an important question. I know that red meat is rich in iron and it can correct anemia. I have looked up red meat and the iron content varies from 10% to 15% per serving. The ground turkey meat I eat has 8% iron per serving. I don't see a huge difference here. So why would red meat work and ground turkey meat not work?

A couple weeks ago I had pasta with turkey meatballs and lima beans. I had more of the meat and less of the pasta. I normally have more pasta than meat. I also had a Vitamin C rich popsicle for dessert. I felt like I could breathe better and it lasted a couple days. I could stand up while getting dressed instead of sitting on my bed. I felt so much better! So does ground turkey meat work? Do you just have to eat a lot of it? I'm not understanding what it is about red meat since the iron percentages are close.

"Liquid forms of iron supplement tend to stain the teeth. To prevent, reduce, or remove these stains:

Mix each dose in water, fruit juice, or tomato juice. You may use a drinking tube or straw to help keep the iron supplement from getting on the teeth.
    When doses of liquid iron supplement are to be given by dropper, the dose may be placed well back on the tongue and followed with water or juice.
    Iron stains on teeth can usually be removed by brushing with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) or medicinal peroxide (hydrogen peroxide 3%).
    "

"Liquid iron supplements can discolour teeth; however, the stain is temporary. You can minimise staining by diluting the liquid iron dose in half a glass of water or orange juice and drinking it through a straw. Rinsing your mouth with water afterwards is also helpful.

If the staining is still a problem, talk to your dentist about teeth-cleaning options."

Maybe at this point you should just snort some crushed up iron pills since you seem to have an aversion to ALL forms of iron supplements and seem ridiculously tied to the notion of getting your needed iron from a cereal you don't even like.

smh.
  • skyryder94
    skyryder94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    if you decide to eat them in milk, my husband uses unsweetened almond milk to avoid added sugar and adds a scoop of chocolate or strawberry banana protein to the almond milk with the cereal. he loves it.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Stop. It is not going to make or break your blood hemoglobin to eat one kind of cereal over another.

Add more iron-rich foods to your diet AS A WHOLE and stop picking over minor things. Eat a spinach salad and steak for dinner. Have Broccoli and Hummus for a snack. Eat lots and lots of clams, mussels, and oysters (gram for gram, these are the foods richest in bioavailable iron) and instead of snacking on just dried cereal, add some pumpkin seeds and nuts, both of which are very rich in iron.

And, honestly, if you are so anemic that you can't stand up to get dressed? Your doctor should have prescribed you a supplement immediately. That's very extreme.
This discussion has been closed.