Replies

• ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    belgerian wrote: »
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

I enjoy running I love my long distance runs call it me time (meditation time) or what ever. Why would you bash some one who is doing what they enjoy and it is working for them. Granted I would benefit more if I incorporated some form of resistance training with my hippie runs, yes. By the way early on they said weight training was bad for you also, along with fat, along with carbs, what else have they said were bad oh yea eggs too much cholesterol. There are plenty of people who dedicate training to long distance running.

Well I'm not a marathon runner so I wouldn't know that. And I'm just saying...if you're on a MACHINE...it's a waste of time and stupid. Just wanting to let that out as to this day, people still believe that. If you're just running down a trail...that's fine but like I said...I'm not a marathon runner. My goal is to preserve muscle and lose fat while on a moderate deficit.

What do you do with the muscle you preserve?

I'm not an athlete....I just want to be the best person I can be physically and get rid of unwanted fat while preserving as much muscle as possible and that's where lifting heavy and eating as much protein as possible comes in. It makes no sense to be on a calorie deficit and also lose the muscle I've had for years. Basically I just wanna look and feel better about myself.

If you have ambitions to be a personal trainer (as per your profile) you really need to start educating yourself in nutrition and exercise physiology.
    If you think cardio equals muscle loss you are badly mistaken.

I have to go through prerequisites before taking those classes at my school. Living with Health is one of them.

I mean this to be well meaning advice as my son is a qualified personal trainer and had to make the same adjustment - you are going to have to work with all sorts of people. Some will have completely different goals to you, your job will be to help them achieve their goals and not yours.

For some it will be a choice between doing something on a cardio machine or doing nothing. Others will want to be an athlete rather than concentrate on physique. Different strokes for different folks doesn't mean an activity is a waste of time or stupid.

Alright got it :)
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I do cardio for that amount of time fairly regularly, but not at the gym. Generally if I do cardio for 2+ hours it's either walking or it's dancing. I do neither for fitness, just personal enrichment.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Long cardio sessions are required for certain athletes. When you are dedicated, you are dedicated. I've seen people do long marathon runs on a treadmill because they wanted to achieve their goal. As with any athlete, you need to learn proper nutrition for before, during and after. You also need to know how to structure workouts and get appropriate rest. Neglecting those will only do more harm than good. Overtraining is a thing (and it is awful, I would know).

Weight loss is simply CI<CO. Doing long and intense exercises just to create a large deficit probably isn't a good idea for the general population. "You can't out-exercise a bad diet", is how the saying goes...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I spend 2 hours + doing cardio at least 3 times per week. Usually 1 hour to 1.5 the other days. No loss of muscle here.

I was talking about excessive like 2 hours EVERYDAY.....and also if you're eating enough protein...of course you won't lose muscle.

You can eat protein till you're blue in the face and you've blown your kidneys out- that won't save muscle.

You have to use them in order to not loose them. Yes you need protein- but protein + cardio doesn' t = muscle saved.

A well rounded fitness program for general health and wellness will include a cardiovascular component and a resistance/strength training component. The more specific the training goals- the more that is going to tip to one side or another in terms of volume and intensity.

But just eating more protein isn't a catch all for muscle.

Sigh. Man I wish you some good luck- you have a long way to go.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I play 3+ hours of tennis a couple times a week. The best cardio there is for me. Though I hike all day often too. But really, if someone wants to hit the treadmill or other machine for that long, and that's their things, it is 100% more effective than sitting on a couch.

More power to them.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol

why, on god's green earth, would anyone want to spend two hours on a machine?

Perhaps they are training for their sport?

In winter I watch quite a few games of rugby (or other TV programs) on a training bike or elliptical - too cold for me to train outdoors. So instead sitting on my *kitten* on the sofa watching the game I'm working my *kitten* off and still enjoying watching the game.

Is it so surprising that people have different fitness goals?

I train for my sport outdoors all winter, running in temperatures as low as -25C, so, yeah... it does surprise me when people choose to spend that amount of time on a machine.

I run in -20, but not this winter because we had so much snow it was dangerous. The bankings were taller than people, so cars couldn't see you coming. But I'm not going to judge those who choose to run indoors. I tried running an indoor track, and it wasn't for me, but really, who cares what others do? It's not your body or your choice. It's theirs. Live & let live and save your energy for your own personal improvement.

• dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you on a treadmill or elliptical machine??? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

--> This hippie does cardio for that long... 3 shorter runs and one long run per week is all part of my training plan. I avoid treadmills for the long runs unless I'm off work late (so its dark outside and I live in a city) or its icy/gross outside and I want to avoid an injury.

Last time I checked training for half and full marathons is not bad for my health. But what do I know, I only work in the medical field :wink:
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you on a treadmill or elliptical machine??? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

I mean...I don't think hippies are the problem, unless you're upset about long hairs getting caught in your treadmill?
  • LovelyIvy466
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

I mean...I don't think hippies are the problem, unless you're upset about long hairs getting caught in your treadmill?

Maybe he dislikes patchouli? Or natural fibers?
  • sofaking6
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    LMFAO...what hippie does cardio for that long? That's a waste of time and wouldn't it bore the hell out of you? Do resistance training along with low-moderate intensity cardio on certain days....simple. It will lead to slow but steady weight loss. No need to do excessive cardio if you're trying to lose weight...it's stupid and pointless and bad for your health actually.

I enjoy running I love my long distance runs call it me time (meditation time) or what ever. Why would you bash some one who is doing what they enjoy and it is working for them. Granted I would benefit more if I incorporated some form of resistance training with my hippie runs, yes. By the way early on they said weight training was bad for you also, along with fat, along with carbs, what else have they said were bad oh yea eggs too much cholesterol. There are plenty of people who dedicate training to long distance running.

Well I'm not a marathon runner so I wouldn't know that. And I'm just saying...if you're on a MACHINE...it's a waste of time and stupid. Just wanting to let that out as to this day, people still believe that. If you're just running down a trail...that's fine but like I said...I'm not a marathon runner. My goal is to preserve muscle and lose fat while on a moderate deficit.

What do you do with the muscle you preserve?

I'm not an athlete....I just want to be the best person I can be physically and get rid of unwanted fat while preserving as much muscle as possible and that's where lifting heavy and eating as much protein as possible comes in. It makes no sense to be on a calorie deficit and also lose the muscle I've had for years. Basically I just wanna look and feel better about myself.

So, you want to be the best you can be physically, and the worst you can be personally?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol

why, on god's green earth, would anyone want to spend two hours on a machine?

Perhaps they are training for their sport?

In winter I watch quite a few games of rugby (or other TV programs) on a training bike or elliptical - too cold for me to train outdoors. So instead sitting on my *kitten* on the sofa watching the game I'm working my *kitten* off and still enjoying watching the game.

Is it so surprising that people have different fitness goals?

I train for my sport outdoors all winter, running in temperatures as low as -25C, so, yeah... it does surprise me when people choose to spend that amount of time on a machine.

I run in -20, but not this winter because we had so much snow it was dangerous. The bankings were taller than people, so cars couldn't see you coming. But I'm not going to judge those who choose to run indoors. I tried running an indoor track, and it wasn't for me, but really, who cares what others do? It's not your body or your choice. It's theirs. Live & let live and save your energy for your own personal improvement.

I don't care what others do. I simply don't understand why someone would choose to spend that amount of time on a machine. I'd rather gouge my eyes out. I guess that means you're more dedicated than I am.
  • sofaking6
    Options

Possibly cannabis, or bluegrass?

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Two hours is more cardio than I get weekly. I'll do a 45 minutes once in a blue moon if I want to eat a piece of cake the size of my face. Otherwise 10-30 minutes tops.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have had to do some long runs on the treadmill of 2+ hours. I have a husband who travels for work and cant always find a babysitter so i have to use the gym daycare and a treadmill (cant leave the gym) to fit in some of my long runs in my marathon training. does it suck? you bet but i gotta do what i gotta do .
  • LovelyIvy466
    Options

Possibly cannabis, or bluegrass?

Everyone likes cannabis. That's just crazy talk. :p
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    I have had to do some long runs on the treadmill of 2+ hours. I have a husband who travels for work and cant always find a babysitter so i have to use the gym daycare and a treadmill (cant leave the gym) to fit in some of my long runs in my marathon training. does it suck? you bet but i gotta do what i gotta do .

That's awesome ! I understand that . you gotta do what you gotta do no excuses .
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Getting back to the original post...One time I was riding a stationery bike for 2 hours..Never again! I would rather be cycling outside for 2 hours and if you do endurance cycling your riding 150-300 miles a week.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Cardio will save your life.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Sure. Train for an Ironman. Then you can do 6+ hour sessions.

Granted those are on a bike, and I would shoot myself before doing that indoors on a trainer. But still, even now months out from my upcoming race I have 2+ hour sessions. I also lift nothing heavier than a beer glass. 13+ hours of "cardio" a week...
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Just about anyone running an early spring marathon will be doing much of their long running on a treadmill. Just the way it is. I have put down up to 14 miles on the treadmill this winter. Wasn't much fun but the work had to get done, so I got the work done. Granted that was 1:45 for me, but still that is a long time on the mill