Any 5K Runners?

Options

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for my first 5k April 25th, it's a mud run then I'm doing. My second one (a color run) the following weekend. I've been training. So far my fastest non stop time is 43min. I'm not fast, but I'm trying. :)
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k last November at the end of the C25K program in 39:47. I couldn't run the whole thing and walked more than I wanted to but finished.

Last weekend I ran my first "real" (chipped, bibbed, etc) 5k, ran the whole thing and finished in 36:10! I guess the work is paying off but I realize that I'm going to have to kick it up multiple notches if I want to get faster and/or run longer. I'm running another 5k tomorrow just because it's there :) (I NEVER thought I'd be that person, but there it is nonetheless)

I never thought I'd be that person either but I've done that too. LOL

It's addictive. My friends who do triathalons warned me this will be my gateway drug, and they were right.
    I ran my first 5k last July and completed in 32 and change. My second one was 31:32. I had a knee injury in the fall, but I'm getting ready for another race at the end of April and I can't wait! I'm hoping to break 30 minutes, and if I can work myself up to it, maybe aim to try a 10k in the fall.

And to think 1 1/2 years ago I was telling my friends that I couldn't run, that I could fathom even running ONE mile. :-)
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My fastest 5K is 43:20, fastest 10K is 1:29:55 and fastest half marathon is 3:21:53. I'm slow but I still get out there and run the whole thing. I'm pretty sure I don't look like I'm running, LOL! I do want to get back to the basics and work on improving my 5K time and then work ahead. :)
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    last year I did my first learn to run class, finishing with a 5 km run. 1 year later, and 8 or so 5 km races under my belt ( all in the 36-37 min time) I am training for a 10 km run. Still my 5 km is about 33-36 minutes depending on the day. Your time and distance will improve if you want it to. Time and consistancy.
  • Momma_Raucks
    Momma_Raucks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you havent used Map My Run App , its a lot of fun. And it syncs with My fitness Pal.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    csk0018 wrote: »
    My fastest 5K is 43:20, fastest 10K is 1:29:55 and fastest half marathon is 3:21:53. I'm slow but I still get out there and run the whole thing. I'm pretty sure I don't look like I'm running, LOL! I do want to get back to the basics and work on improving my 5K time and then work ahead. :)

You just made my day!!! :)
  • Witters66
    Witters66 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back to doing 5K's and it's hard going at the moment. I am determined to get there. I use Runtastic which syncs well with MFP too.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    If you havent used Map My Run App , its a lot of fun. And it syncs with My fitness Pal.

I stopped using that one once I found out how inaccurate it was, at least for me it was.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    I like 5k's! I am doing a 10k this weekend, and those are fun too. Just enough time to find a good rhythm. My 1st 1/2 marathon is Labor day this year. I'm not really fast, but I'm improving all the time!

I'm doing my first half in may, I'm excited. Then a 10k across the bay bridge in the fall, but after that back to 5ks
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Turtles could pass me, but I call myself a runner.

LMAO. Still on the Disabled List with a nagging high ankle sprain.
    Somedays when I was running ( or swimming ) I felt like a snail dragging a brick.
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I use MapMyFitness - only had it mess up the measurement really bad once. Helps that I have straight, flat roads to run on here in the desert, and a clear GPS signal on my smartphone. :)

Getting under 40 was a big deal for me... I'm really hoping I can hit 36 and change this week...
  • crfeen
    crfeen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm doing my first in May. Right now i'm running outside and coming in at about 36-38 minutes for 5K. I can't wait to run my first race!!
  • fnoblebrown
    fnoblebrown Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    36.09... not bad, but I feel like I can do better. :)
  • elle_bear_11
    elle_bear_11 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm getting there..still at 47 minutes but better then when i started, motivation?? :)
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    I am doing one in a month :) Last one I did was about 33 minutes. I am training and hope to get under 30 this time!
  • seven3
    seven3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ran my first one last week at the ripe old age of 46. Time was 32:09. Only did 4 training runs to prepare, but I've been a competitive cyclist for 25 yrs, so no stranger to endurance sports. My 11 yr old son still beat me by 30 seconds. He's the real athlete in the family.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Aine8046 wrote: »
    I am doing one in a month :) Last one I did was about 33 minutes. I am training and hope to get under 30 this time!
    My 12 year old did it in 24 min. Well, at least there was somebody at the finish line cheering for me :)

• skinnyby31
    skinnyby31 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    We have timed 5km parkrun every Saturday so I do those when I'm not working. My time is always about 38 mins and my pb has been 35.09. Im finding it really hard to increase my speed. My dog does them with me which does slow me down a little as she always has to pee and she tries to lie in every bit of muck but she is getting much better at it. I've signed up for my first proper race, bib and chip etc on the 19th April. It's a 5km trail run so myself and my dog are signed up for it. I'm sure I'll come in last but it should be fun.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I am doing the color run this August and the Shake your Teal feathers for Ovarian Cancer awareness in September this year. I may sign up for more as the year goes on. I'd like to do a winter run as well this year. We have a really cool Whoville run here in the winter and a zombie run around Halloween.
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I am scheduled to do two 5ks in May, plus a quarter. I also have around 4 more races scheduled but they are all different lengths with my very first half in August.