60 lbs in 3 months

Options
Robertus
Robertus Posts: 558 Member
edited April 2015 in Success Stories
I'm a bit of a renegade. I know the philosophy of MFP is 'slow and steady wins the race', but I needed to prove to myself (and my wife) that I could indeed lose more than 10-15 pounds this time so I started with killer work-outs and eating only as much as I need to fuel these killer work-outs. Primarily long-distance swimming. I've worked up to swimming 3 miles continuous (without stopping to rest) with strength training on off-days so that I don't lose too much muscle. As long as my distances keep increasing, my times keep going down, and my weights keep increasing, I figure I am eating enough nutritious food to sustain these work-outs. And I am a big believer in getting the proper amount of rest between killer work-outs. The body needs to repair and restore itself after you tear it down exercising. I don't have any good before and after pics, but I do have a graph of the first 3 months. I still have another 25 lbs to lose before I re-evaluate my goals but thought I would post this to encourage others who might be like-minded. I am aware of the dangers of losing weight quickly and I do intend to focus like a laser beam on learning to maintain my eventual goal weight.

nf50gdtnjdg6.jpg

Replies

• Robertus
    Options
    PS: Feel free to add me as a friend. It always helps to have good friends.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • thin1dayplease
    thin1dayplease Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Well done! You have obviously worked very hard.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    That's a fantastic result and very inspiring! And of course you're right, slow and steady isn't the only way to lose weight successfully. No doubt you will get a legion of nay-sayers replying to this thread telling you you're going to gain it all back within a year, but that's nonsense. I know several people who have done used fast weight loss methods and maintained their new weight afterwards. Different strokes and all that.
  • BuckyArden33
    BuckyArden33 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    well done
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So on plenty of days you believe in eating less than 1000 calories. How is that an inspiration for all the young women with poor body image and those desperate to lose weight. I have reservations that losing at 5lb a week is realistic for many people especially when safe suggested rates are 1-2lb a week. Congrats on losing that amount, but I hope people dont get frustrated that they are unable to lose at your rate or follow your example in terms of severe calorie deficit. Rather than inspire id be more concerned that plenty of desperate people try and follow your example.
  • Robertus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    So on plenty of days you believe in eating less than 1000 calories. How is that an inspiration for all the young women with poor body image and those desperate to lose weight. I have reservations that losing at 5lb a week is realistic for many people especially when safe suggested rates are 1-2lb a week. Congrats on losing that amount, but I hope people dont get frustrated that they are unable to lose at your rate or follow your example in terms of severe calorie deficit. Rather than inspire id be more concerned that plenty of desperate people try and follow your example.
    I am not sure exactly what you're asking. If you are referring to young women, or anyone for that matter, with an eating disorder, I am in no way intending to inspire them to engage in dangerous or unhealthy behavior. If they listen to their bodies and make fitness their goal, they will learn what it takes to achieve physical fitness.

By some definitions, I was morbidly obese (BMI 35 with comorbidities of high blood pressure and high cholesterol), and my doctor ordered me to lose weight. He is not concerned by my description of my work-outs as extreme. He has encouraged me to work out even more, saying there are 'no limits' to how far I can go. If people follow my example, they will listen to their bodies and focus on fitness as their goal, not merely or even primarily weight loss. I believe that people can, and should, become physically fit, and let the weight loss be subservient to this goal. I don't have a goal weight, 'though I have had several milestones in mind. When I am no longer overweight according to the BMI, I will begin to determine what my goal weight should be. When I started on this journey, I was barely able to swim three laps in the pool, yet within 3 months I was swimming 3 miles continuous. To achieve this level of endurance, I sometimes exercised once a week in order to ensure that my body got adequate rest (and food) in order to rebuild itself stronger. If I were only interested in losing weight, I would exercise 6-7x/week to burn as many calories as possible. That might achieve more immediate short-term weight loss, but without the proper rest one will not achieve optimal fitness and will not gain the most important benefits of exercise. I did not even start 'dieting' until I had improved my fitness level to swimming .75 miles (not continuous) in a work-out.

I encourage people to find their own baseline level of fitness and endurance and set their own fitness goals based on how quickly they are able to improve their performance at their own rate. Weight loss will help them achieve these fitness goals. Form follows function. What weight, what level of strength and muscle will help you achieve these fitness goals?

As for fasting, I learned a little bit about ketosis years ago and how to encourage the body to live off excess fat stores. This is the system that evolution produced to help us survive in times of stress, famine, and long winters. But rather than wasting away or hibernating in a cave, I eat to fuel my work-outs and fitness goals. When I need more protein, more fat, I go for it. Whatever makes me feel best physically and increase my levels of fitness and endurance and perform well and cheerfully at work. That is not necessarily trying to hit the same target number of calories every day. People who swim English Channel distances sometimes encourage long morning work-outs on an empty stomach in order to train their bodies to more quickly and easily access the stored energy in their fat. In today's society, with fast-food restaurants, grocery and convenience stores, filled with highly processed carbs and diet foods, we've forgotten how to do this, but the body can teach us when we follow its needs and abilities. I'm learning as much as I can about nutrition, but first I'm learning from my own body.
  • Melvicmurphy
    Melvicmurphy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Well done - I agree with you. When you have a bit of age and experience on you, you end up knowing what you need and what you can cope with. We're all on our own joourney
  • Robertus
    Options

He's not responsible for what young women with poor body image or other desperate people choose to do.
    Very true. But 999tigger has a good point. I do not want to encourage people to do anything unhealthy. My initial post was rushed when I realized after going to bed that it was three now months since I started watching what I eat and making weight loss goals part of my fitness journey. I left out a lot about my focus on fitness.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Huzzah! It looks like you did this properly (for you). I am also quite heavy and it bears mentioning that when you are morbidly obese your body will jettison weight quicker than you can say CICO!
    So, are you gonna swim the English Channel one day?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed reply Robertus. Congtaulations on the weight loss, I explained in my PM I wasnt going to post further as its a success thread, not me turning it into a debate. Im not sure everyone could manage such aggressive deficits.
  • Robertus
    Options
    Huzzah! It looks like you did this properly (for you). I am also quite heavy and it bears mentioning that when you are morbidly obese your body will jettison weight quicker than you can say CICO!
    So, are you gonna swim the English Channel one day?
    Maybe, but probably not. My current long-term goal is to swim 10k (6.2 miles) continuous, which is the equivalent of running a 26.2-mile marathon. But I am not yet training to do this. Currently, I am focusing on improving my 3-mile time for a 5k (3.1 mile) Steelman open-water swim in July. In the month of March, I improved my 1-mile time by 10 minutes, from 40 to 30 minutes. Now I am consolidating those gains over the 3-mile distance, ie, 3-miles in 90 minutes. I'm currently at approximately 95 minutes.
  • Robertus
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed reply Robertus. Congtaulations on the weight loss, I explained in my PM I wasnt going to post further as its a success thread, not me turning it into a debate. Im not sure everyone could manage such aggressive deficits.
    No problem with a little debate. I think success threads can be very boring with a bunch of people merely saying 'great job', 'amazing', etc. I'm here to learn. Thanks again.
  • bevjack1
    bevjack1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even think of doing this, but my hat's off to you. I do believe it's a personal journey for each of us.
    I'm not even greatly overweight, but the difference 20 lbs. makes in my self esteem (and clothing) is worth all
    the "work" it takes to get it off. I'm glad you're watching your health. I suspect a physician would be concerned for your well being but I don't know enough about internal workings to take their part and give you the lecture.
    I'll bet there is one, just based on the decades of "lose slowly" dogma. Anyway, good luck on the maintenance.
    I'm looking forward to it myself!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Nice work. I'm impressed by the practical way you are looking at this. Sounds like it is as much an intellectual exercise as a physical one. I'm at the opposite end. I wasn't seriously overweight but have been losing at a pace of about .5 lbs a week, so about 8.5 lbs in three months. That works for me. This has worked for you. You may have an adjustment when the weight loss slows or you may not. It's your journey!

By the way, I'm a swimmer, too. Not a three-mile swimmer, but it's great exercise!
  • Robertus
    Options
    Nice work. I'm impressed by the practical way you are looking at this. Sounds like it is as much an intellectual exercise as a physical one. I'm at the opposite end. I wasn't seriously overweight but have been losing at a pace of about .5 lbs a week, so about 8.5 lbs in three months. That works for me. This has worked for you. You may have an adjustment when the weight loss slows or you may not. It's your journey!

By the way, I'm a swimmer, too. Not a three-mile swimmer, but it's great exercise!
    Thanks, mpeters. Swimming is fantastic. A little more boring than running outdoors but much better because it is non-impact and uses all major muscle groups. You may want to consider joining our swimming group here. Very nice and encouraging people at all different levels:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/122-swimmers
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I thought my 34 pounds in 3 months was good, your weight loss is phenomenal...Combining diet and exercise with your doctor's advice is definitely working..
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Smiley_Emi123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude but I saw in another post you asking a young women if she would be interest in an older man........ Here you say your married.......
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!