60 lbs in 3 months

Options

Replies

• Bugdude54
    Bugdude54 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to be rude but I saw in another post you asking a young women if she would be interest in an older man........ Here you say your married.......

Dun..dun...dunnnnnnn........
  • Smiley_Emi123
    Smiley_Emi123 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bugdude54 wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude but I saw in another post you asking a young women if she would be interest in an older man........ Here you say your married.......

Hahahahah ;)
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It was merely intended as a humorous compliment. I do not seriously think that a 21-year-old would be interested in me. Nor would my wife think so. It was a poor attempt at humor.

• cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you eating?
  • Robertus
    Options
    cmsu64113 wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I probably average about 1,000 per day but it varies a lot depending on my work-outs and other needs, eg, maintaining a cheery disposition at work. And whenever I have an occasion to go out to dinner or a get-together of some kind, I make sure I enjoy all the foods I love: rib-eye steaks, lobster, crab, Eggs Benedict, pizza, peaty single malt Scotch, etc.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring! I am working hard toward my goal and fitness. I want to add swimming too. This may be more beneficial as I have hip issues and the run/jump can aggravate that problem. I am so happy for you.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Bugdude54 wrote: »

Dude's a monk, can't you tell by the avatar?!?
    /sarcasm
  • jonnie256
    jonnie256 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do this same type of thing to lose 60lbs in 3 months. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do it and to see what a determined and focused mind could do. This what you have done is a great inspiration to me! Ignore all the nay-sayers and just stay focused on your goals and aspirations man.
  • Robertus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    cmsu64113 wrote: »
    I'm not sure, but I probably average about 1,000 per day but it varies a lot depending on my work-outs and other needs, eg, maintaining a cheery disposition at work. And whenever I have an occasion to go out to dinner or a get-together of some kind, I make sure I enjoy all the foods I love: rib-eye steaks, lobster, crab, Eggs Benedict, pizza, peaty single malt Scotch, etc.
    Part of the reason I do not know how many calories I eat per day on average is that I do not try to eat the same amount every day. Rather, I try to listen to my body and eat when it feels like I need to, eg, after heavy work-outs when I'm in rebuild phase.

But I should know so I went back and did a quick analysis of the past 84 days since I've been tracking my calories and work-outs. Turns out I've been averaging approximately 1137 calories per day, with an expected very large standard deviation.

I use the default MFP sedentary setting (desk job) and the 2-lbs per week option, which currently recommends 1500 calories per day. Since I generally only eat back my exercise calories when my body seems to be telling me that I need to (or when I want to feast with friends or family), I used the Android phone app to measure my net calories for this period of time and it indicates that, after subtracting my estimated exercise calories, I net out at an average additional 898 calories per day under the 2-lb per week goal. Using the the 3,500 calories/lb of fat number, I calculated that I should have lost approximately 47.5 lbs over these 84 days. Weighing myself at my gym, I had actually lost 46 lbs as of last Saturday (or 45 lbs as of Monday).* I have always believed in CICO, but was nonetheless amazed that all of the estimates involved in this process have proven to be so accurate.

*I admit that I have sometimes cheated by underestimating the calories of a meal at the fancy restaurants I go to, including on Saturday and Easter Sunday!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I know if you fuel your body you can lose quickly..I have seen and know people who have lost 40 pounds in a month and yikes..keep it off..I have also seen and asked my doctor about 20 lb weight losses in a month and mostly guys who are really over weight can do it but women who are grossly over weight should aim for 16 lbs at the fastest..the closer you are to goal the closer less you lose as well..good luck and keep on trucking.
  • Robertus
    Options
    Quick update. I am now officially in Onederland.
  • Robertus
    Options
    24.83 BMI. I'm no longer overweight according to the BMI. Yay. At one point that was my goal, but now it is only a milestone. I still have to figure out what my so-called 'ideal weight' should be. I'll go down in 5-lb increments and see what that looks like in the mirror, and then at some point I'll start eating at a surplus to put on more muscle. I suspect my 'ideal weight' will increase slowly as muscle is added. The real goals will be fitness and performance based. Whatever weight helps me achieve my current fitness goal. Form follows function.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    So on plenty of days you believe in eating less than 1000 calories. How is that an inspiration for all the young women with poor body image and those desperate to lose weight. I have reservations that losing at 5lb a week is realistic for many people especially when safe suggested rates are 1-2lb a week. Congrats on losing that amount, but I hope people dont get frustrated that they are unable to lose at your rate or follow your example in terms of severe calorie deficit. Rather than inspire id be more concerned that plenty of desperate people try and follow your example.

*co-signs*

• fitby44
    fitby44 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!
  • Tailgater75
    Tailgater75 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm setting a goal for 10 lbs a months. The only thing about losing weight too quick that worries me is loose skin. I don't want to look like I need an upper body circumcision and have a new set of problems. I started at 270 and am currently 248 for the first time in at least 8 years.

I no expert at losing weight, in fact losing my current 22 lbs is the only success I've ever had at it. But I hope this works for you and you enjoy your results. Enjoy the new you!
  • Hulbert0089
    Hulbert0089 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great job my man! I too am motivated to get this done after too many false starts. Down 30 in 2 months driven primarily by problems with my back. I've been walking 10-20k steps every day and am tracking everything. Still allowing myself freedoms to live life an have nights off to be followed by getting back in the saddle and getting plenty of exercise. Just got in from a long walk and sitting back right now with a beer and some peanuts watching the Stanley Cup finals.
  • Tailgater75
    Tailgater75 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Great job my man! I too am motivated to get this done after too many false starts. Down 30 in 2 months driven primarily by problems with my back. I've been walking 10-20k steps every day and am tracking everything. Still allowing myself freedoms to live life an have nights off to be followed by getting back in the saddle and getting plenty of exercise. Just got in from a long walk and sitting back right now with a beer and some peanuts watching the Stanley Cup finals.

Go Blackhawks!!!!!
  • Robertus
    Options
    pbradtke75 wrote: »
    I'm setting a goal for 10 lbs a months. The only thing about losing weight too quick that worries me is loose skin. I don't want to look like I need an upper body circumcision and have a new set of problems. I started at 270 and am currently 248 for the first time in at least 8 years.

I no expert at losing weight, in fact losing my current 22 lbs is the only success I've ever had at it. But I hope this works for you and you enjoy your results. Enjoy the new you!
    Thanks, Good luck with your goals. The key for me has been prioritizing increasing fitness. Most of my work-outs have been long-distance swimming, which involves constantly stretching the core, which might explain why I have not had any problems with loose skin. After about 75 lbs of loss, I was just beginning to see the beginnings of what might become some loose skin, but I had also not swam for 10 days at that point because I was resting a sore elbow.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome work,.
  • Robertus
    Options
    So I created a chart to show my journey to the milestone of no longer being overweight. 78 lbs in 160 days or 23 weeks or 5 months and 1 week:

z1a5a43fnk28.jpg

I've been maintaining (more or less) for the past month and plan on losing 2 lbs in July to get to 190. Then I'll try 185 and see what that feels like, etc.

As anticipated, it has been a challenge to find a proper balance for maintaining after losing weight relatively quickly. My body is definitely tempting me to binge eat, especially after a couple of drinks.

A friend of mine who has also lost 60+ lbs made a comment that made me think. He said that it is good to take a break from weight loss because especially fast weight loss is such a stress on the body, that I will need to let my body recover. So I am really not tied to a time table any more. I was going to try to get to 185 by the end of July, but my managed care health coach suggested maybe only losing 2 lbs instead of 7 by the end of July.

In terms of fitness goals, I did swim 5 miles nonstop on Memorial Day and have biked to work several times (28 miles). My shoulder/elbow is complaining about the swimming and my ankle (fused joints) is complaining about the biking so I am not pushing too hard. Basically took a month off from swimming because I am determined to not let the shoulder/elbow issue become a chronic injury.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!