Robertus wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ...
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

Here's how I lost 60 lbs in 3 months:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Why after the wedding rather than starting NOW?

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?

There is no way for her to safely create the necessary deficit.
    Why do you think that this deficit is necessarily unsafe?

You-Are-Really-Dumb-Antoine-Dodson-Gif.gif
    Why not just answer my question and we can have serious discussion about what is and what is not safe and why.

Now I understand why you are ok with what the OP wants to do. You are eating most of the time less then 1200 calories, according to your diary!! As a man you should be eating way more then that. Your poor heart!! :/
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Now I understand why you are ok with what the OP wants to do. You are eating most of the time less then 1200 calories, according to your diary!! As a man you should be eating way more then that. Your poor heart!! :/
    JoRocka wrote: »
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Good lord, @Robertus, you're insufferable.

OP, my advice to you is to eat as healthy as you can, work out 3-4 times a week, drink lots of water, and get your hair done the day of the wedding. Don't worry about your weight. You'll feel awesome and look beautiful and have a great time at your friend's wedding.

Then, after the wedding, figure out a healthy, long-term plan to lose those 25 lbs slowly. Be methodical, persistent, eat foods you love (just smaller amounts), keep working out, and the lbs will come off over time. Setting tight deadlines like that most often lead to failure.
    This is also very good advice.

And it directly contradicts your advice.
    There's no other way to say this...but you don't know what you're talking about and it would probably be best if you stopped trying to give advice.
    There are a variety of ways for people to proceed so two pieces of contradictory advice can both be good advice for different people with different goals and motivation. But I do not disagree with you at all. I believe very much in a postive love for one's body and it is not a good idea to lose weight or improve fitness out of self-hatred.

so now I'm really curious- is English your first language and or/have you ever been diagnosed with autism/asbergers at all.

Because everything I read is reading very much like you have a hard time reading social cues and communicating to others- which very often mean- one or both of these things apply.
    See PM. Let's let this thread be about Claudia and her goals.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Good lord, @Robertus, you're insufferable.

OP, my advice to you is to eat as healthy as you can, work out 3-4 times a week, drink lots of water, and get your hair done the day of the wedding. Don't worry about your weight. You'll feel awesome and look beautiful and have a great time at your friend's wedding.

Then, after the wedding, figure out a healthy, long-term plan to lose those 25 lbs slowly. Be methodical, persistent, eat foods you love (just smaller amounts), keep working out, and the lbs will come off over time. Setting tight deadlines like that most often lead to failure.
    This is also very good advice.

And it directly contradicts your advice.
    There's no other way to say this...but you don't know what you're talking about and it would probably be best if you stopped trying to give advice.
    There are a variety of ways for people to proceed so two pieces of contradictory advice can both be good advice for different people with different goals and motivation. But I do not disagree with you at all. I believe very much in a postive love for one's body and it is not a good idea to lose weight or improve fitness out of self-hatred.

so now I'm really curious- is English your first language and or/have you ever been diagnosed with autism/asbergers at all.

Because everything I read is reading very much like you have a hard time reading social cues and communicating to others- which very often mean- one or both of these things apply.
    See PM. Let's let this thread be about Claudia and her goals.

Why?? Because you are wrong. ;)
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

No, because this thread is not about how healthy my heart is or diagnosing me with Asberger's. It is about Claudia and her goals and progress.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

No, because this thread is not about how healthy my heart is or diagnosing me with Asberger's. It is about Claudia and her goals and progress.

Her goals are unhealthy and require a negative net caloric intake for a month ... your supporting her goals is just as unhealthy. PERIOD!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    IF everyone stops arguing with Robertus, Robertus will not have anything to respond to.

I think the point has been made and the going back and forth is becoming :yawn:
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    Wow! I am so sorry that some of these people are being so rude to you! 20lbs is a lot in a month, but not impossible. I understand where people are coming from, but to attack you doesn't help. Your loss depends on your lifestyle. Several years ago I was losing 5lbs per week, but before I started I was eating all kinds of fast food, pop, etc. I gave up all drinks except for water and skim milk, I ate primarily all natural foods. I could snack all day on carrots, cucumbers,celery and other raw veggies. Lunch might be a large apple with peanut butter. Dinner would be grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast and mushrooms. Its about a lifestyle change though. If those things are already a large part of your lifestyle (hopefully they are) then it won't net as big of a loss for you. Good luck and be careful!

Losing 5 pounds of fat per week requires a daily deficit of 2500 calories. For a person with a RMR below that level, creating that deficit requires a negative net caloric intake. IT IS AN UNHEALTHY PROPOSITION FROM CONCEPTION.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Wow! I am so sorry that some of these people are being so rude to you! 20lbs is a lot in a month, but not impossible. I understand where people are coming from, but to attack you doesn't help. Your loss depends on your lifestyle. Several years ago I was losing 5lbs per week, but before I started I was eating all kinds of fast food, pop, etc. I gave up all drinks except for water and skim milk, I ate primarily all natural foods. I could snack all day on carrots, cucumbers,celery and other raw veggies. Lunch might be a large apple with peanut butter. Dinner would be grilled boneless, skinless chicken breast and mushrooms. Its about a lifestyle change though. If those things are already a large part of your lifestyle (hopefully they are) then it won't net as big of a loss for you. Good luck and be careful!

Losing 5 pounds of fat per week requires a daily deficit of 2500 calories. For a person with a RMR below that level, creating that deficit requires a negative net caloric intake. IT IS AN UNHEALTHY PROPOSITION FROM CONCEPTION.

You might be barking up the wrong tree, as this is the person happy to eat under 1000 calories a day, while exercising, on the lsgenix (or something) diet (2 shakes, some snacks, and dinner). Just a heads up.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Why wait until almost the last minute? How long have you known about it? You could have started in January/February & set to lose 1 pound a week in a healthy manner & lost it by the wedding.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

You might be barking up the wrong tree, as this is the person happy to eat under 1000 calories a day, while exercising, on the lsgenix (or something) diet (2 shakes, some snacks, and dinner). Just a heads up.

I thought this was a place for motivation and support, not trash talking. Berating anyone for trying to make improvements in their diet isn't the right way either. I don't claim to be perfect or know everything, but one thing I am is a genuinely good person. Seems like MFP forums are a place for negativity if you don't see eye to eye with another person. That is sad to me. I am not selling Isagenix or even telling anyone else to do it. I was asking for advice in my previous post and I too was met with attitude instead of people trying to educate.

Not all decisions deserve support. A genuinely good person doesn't enable others in unhealthy endeavors. In fact, a good person would make sure that they don't support dangerous and unhealthy choices. The OP's goals are inherently unhealthy and dangerous. Losing as much as she'd like requires eating a negative net caloric total for a month ... a substantial one at that.
  • heyyeahiknow
    heyyeahiknow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You are all being really insanely hard on her. After the first 80 people said the same thing, why keep going? She gets the point! No need to bully her.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    You are all being really insanely hard on her. After the first 80 people said the same thing, why keep going? She gets the point! No need to bully her.

If you read through, most of the dialogue was centred around ensuring that those advocating. (or appearing to advocate) for this plan were sufficiently debunked. No one called the OP down.

There was a significant amount of talk about the plan itself, and the dangers of it.

Just because it's possible, doesn't mean it's a good idea, and I would be remiss if I didn't share if I think it could be significantly harmful.
  • etheridgetracy1
    etheridgetracy1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Take it from me, I have been with fitbit for 5 days now. I haven't lost yet, but I'm also working out really hard. I believe what's happening is it's going to muscle right now. I'm very okay with that. The positive so far, is that I am gaining energy that I thought I never had, and motivated to keep going on. The community knows what they are talking about. Good luck in your weight loss journey. Do it for yourself though, not for others!
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I thought this was a place for motivation and support, not trash talking. Berating anyone for trying to make improvements in their diet isn't the right way either. I don't claim to be perfect or know everything, but one thing I am is a genuinely good person. Seems like MFP forums are a place for negativity if you don't see eye to eye with another person. That is sad to me. I am not selling Isagenix or even telling anyone else to do it. I was asking for advice in my previous post and I too was met with attitude instead of people trying to educate.

I really am sorry you feel that way, please know that I have no intention of making you feel bad and I apologize if you did. I just completely disagree with your methods. I think it's a mistake to eat under 1000 calories and over exercise, so I would encourage you to be mindful of your health. However, it's your life and you are of course free to do whatever you like.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Bully. It doesn't mean what you think it means. And no one is "bullying" the OP.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Bully. It doesn't mean what you think it means. And no one is "bullying" the OP.

Shhh. We can't let reality get in the way of MFP.
  • claudiamejia2
    claudiamejia2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lost 23lbs in 6 weeks. Very strict diet and 5 days of 40 minute workouts (30 weights 10 cardio). So maybe you wont lose 20 but you can lose some inches!

That's what self discipline is- I'm happy for you
  • claudiamejia2
    Options
    dimeda78 wrote: »
    I agree with the others. You want to do your best to look good for the wedding but don't sacrifice your health for a day. I noticed my biggest losses by lifting weights, keeping my calories at a safe deficit, and drinking lots of water. Those losses are often in the form of inches rather than pounds, meaning that clothes fit me better. With that in mind, you may benefit from losing the inches versus a full 20lbs in 4 weeks. Good luck.

Agreed- thanks!
    I'll post up a before and after pic, EE!
  • claudiamejia2
    Options
    No hard feelings- I appreciate everyone's concern and will definitely consider everyone's advise moving forward this month and on. I like having discussions and I want this to continue.

Again,

Thanks for the push and motivation

Ps I am not on crack lol
  • Emilia777
    Options
    :smile: That’s really nice of you, OP. I’m really happy to see you have such a great attitude. I wish you the best of luck, and I’ve no doubt you will look amazing no matter what!

P.S. I’m a broken record, but I highly recommend strength training - it can transform your body in amazing ways that just cardio can’t. I do Starting Strength and love it so much.