edited April 2015
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ...
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

If she's aiming for a 5lb/week loss, then telling her to go ahead and do this while touting things like nutrition, eating enough and aiming for more fat than muscle loss is contradictory.

So basically, you're kind of a hypocrite for calling other people naysayers when your advice, ultimately, mirrors theirs as well.
    It is not contradictory. She needs enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs. She does not need enough calories to sustain her current weight.

Except the deficit that she would need would insure her body doesn't get fueled properly, especially as she's only got 25lbs to lose (per her profile).

So there isn't any way she's going to get enough nutrition to sustain her workouts let alone keep her functioning regularly.
    I would not yet conclude or assume that she has only 25 lbs left to go before she reaches her ideal weight for her desired maximal level of fitness.

tumblr_m0xzpnob1y1qbfnat.gif

I don't know if you are purposefully being obtuse, but again, what you say is contradictory. She wouldn't be able to reach her desired maximal level of fitness (assuming it's more than just being in a vegatative coma) on the deficit she'd need to be on to obtain the rate of loss she wanted.

Edited to change present tense of want to past tense :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    GIF-anime-bang-head-Bang-My-Head-bmh-frustrated-upset-GIF.gif

I think my gif of the day belongs here, too.
  • mrslrichardson
    mrslrichardson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I lost 23lbs in 6 weeks. Very strict diet and 5 days of 40 minute workouts (30 weights 10 cardio). So maybe you wont lose 20 but you can lose some inches!
  • dimeda78
    dimeda78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You want to do your best to look good for the wedding but don't sacrifice your health for a day. I noticed my biggest losses by lifting weights, keeping my calories at a safe deficit, and drinking lots of water. Those losses are often in the form of inches rather than pounds, meaning that clothes fit me better. With that in mind, you may benefit from losing the inches versus a full 20lbs in 4 weeks. Good luck.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

If she's aiming for a 5lb/week loss, then telling her to go ahead and do this while touting things like nutrition, eating enough and aiming for more fat than muscle loss is contradictory.

So basically, you're kind of a hypocrite for calling other people naysayers when your advice, ultimately, mirrors theirs as well.
    It is not contradictory. She needs enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs. She does not need enough calories to sustain her current weight.

Except the deficit that she would need would insure her body doesn't get fueled properly, especially as she's only got 25lbs to lose (per her profile).

So there isn't any way she's going to get enough nutrition to sustain her workouts let alone keep her functioning regularly.
    I would not yet conclude or assume that she has only 25 lbs left to go before she reaches her ideal weight for her desired maximal level of fitness.

tumblr_m0xzpnob1y1qbfnat.gif

I don't know if you are purposefully being obtuse, but again, what you say is contradictory. She wouldn't be able to reach her desired maximal level of fitness (assuming it's more than just being in a vegatative coma) on the deficit she'd need to be on to obtain the rate of loss she wanted.

Edited to change present tense of want to past tense :)
    One of several unknown variables required to reach this conclusion is how fit Claudia is currently. I agree it is unrealistic if she does not currently have a sufficient level of fitness or is a very unhealthy 23-year-old, and it is beginning to sound like she is in fact near her ultimate goal weight for whatever desire level of fitness she has, which does make things much more difficult. I am not being purposefully obtuse.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Actually, you can lose 20 pounds in one month. Try the Ideal Protein Diet. It will cost you about $125 per week. It's all plant based protein. You go into Ketosis and your body eats your fat. No exercise. However, if your IP Coach does not give you enough protein, you will lose muscle, which is not good. I've done it. I went from 203 to 148 in three months. Then went off it after I got back up to 155... but I couldn't even do ONE PUSHUP. I have had to seriously build muscle since then. So if you want to lose 20 pounds and you are SERIOUS, you can do it with IP. Just find a coach in your area from their website. All the best!!! :-)
    This is why her focus must be on increasing her level of fitness, ie, being able to do more push-ups, longer distances, quicker times, heavier weights. This requires proper rest and nutrition, and protein is a big part of the proper nutrition, and there are some good protein sources that do not have a lot of calories, eg, chicken. As for the other nutritional needs, especially those that are not being obtained through supplements, Claudia will need to learn about this from a good nutritionist.

Nice job promoting a clear spammer. Dude, seriously?
    I do not promote this kind of thing.

Actually, yes you did. I see it has been deleted though.
    No I did not. My comment has not been deleted. I merely agreed about the importance of protein and specifically suggested chicken as a food that is high in protein and low in calories. I also repeated my emphasis on fitness being the best goal, the necessity of rest and nutrition for this goal, and again recommended that Claudia see a good nutritionist. Please stop misrepresenting what I have said.

It appears that the majority of us are "misrepresenting" what you've said.

Perhaps the appropriate action would be to not misrepresent what you actually mean.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Actually, you can lose 20 pounds in one month. Try the Ideal Protein Diet. It will cost you about $125 per week. It's all plant based protein. You go into Ketosis and your body eats your fat. No exercise. However, if your IP Coach does not give you enough protein, you will lose muscle, which is not good. I've done it. I went from 203 to 148 in three months. Then went off it after I got back up to 155... but I couldn't even do ONE PUSHUP. I have had to seriously build muscle since then. So if you want to lose 20 pounds and you are SERIOUS, you can do it with IP. Just find a coach in your area from their website. All the best!!! :-)
    This is why her focus must be on increasing her level of fitness, ie, being able to do more push-ups, longer distances, quicker times, heavier weights. This requires proper rest and nutrition, and protein is a big part of the proper nutrition, and there are some good protein sources that do not have a lot of calories, eg, chicken. As for the other nutritional needs, especially those that are not being obtained through supplements, Claudia will need to learn about this from a good nutritionist.

No I did not. My comment has not been deleted. I merely agreed about the importance of protein and specifically suggested chicken as a food that is high in protein and low in calories. I also repeated my emphasis on fitness being the best goal, the necessity of rest and nutrition for this goal, and again recommended that Claudia see a good nutritionist. Please stop misrepresenting what I have said.

Perhaps the appropriate action would be to not misrepresent what you actually mean.

boom-o.gif
  • Robertus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Good lord, @Robertus, you're insufferable.

OP, my advice to you is to eat as healthy as you can, work out 3-4 times a week, drink lots of water, and get your hair done the day of the wedding. Don't worry about your weight. You'll feel awesome and look beautiful and have a great time at your friend's wedding.

Then, after the wedding, figure out a healthy, long-term plan to lose those 25 lbs slowly. Be methodical, persistent, eat foods you love (just smaller amounts), keep working out, and the lbs will come off over time. Setting tight deadlines like that most often lead to failure.
    This is also very good advice.

And it directly contradicts your advice.
    There's no other way to say this...but you don't know what you're talking about and it would probably be best if you stopped trying to give advice.
    There are a variety of ways for people to proceed so two pieces of contradictory advice can both be good advice for different people with different goals and motivation. But I do not disagree with you at all. I believe very much in a postive love for one's body and it is not a good idea to lose weight or improve fitness out of self-hatred.

• Robertus
    Options

Why do you think I have misrepresented what I actually mean???

I think it is best if you PM me or start a separate thread rather than us continuing to clutter up Claudia's thread, which should be about Claudia.

• MireyGal76
    Options
    Seeing as the OP:
    - has now responded to the thread comments
    - has acknowledged the various viewpoints represented
    - has agreed that 20lbs is likely unrealistic
    - has also agreed that healthy is best

I'm choosing to leave this discussion.

At this point, it appears to be circling the drain and will likely turn into a wondrous maelstom of backpedaling, nit picking, gifs, and personal insults.

Cheers and happy Friday.

• MireyGal76
    Options

I think it is best if you PM me or start a separate thread rather than us continuing to clutter up Claudia's thread, which should be about Claudia.

All I meant is that, I think you mean to say one thing, and EVERYONE else reads another. Perhaps the way you are saying what you mean is being misunderstood, as opposed to everyone intentionally twisting your words on you. That's all.

I do not perceive you to be someone with malicious intent, nor do I perceive you to be someone who would willingly put someone in harms way.
    Therefore, I am choosing to believe that perhaps message sent =/= message received.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Jon-Hamm-Sure-Thing.gif
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    ^^

I want to pet your dog. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

Here's how I lost 60 lbs in 3 months:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Why after the wedding rather than starting NOW?

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?

There is no way for her to safely create the necessary deficit.
    Why do you think that this deficit is necessarily unsafe?

To create the deficit for this type of weightloss requires a month of negative caloric intake ... a coma without any intake would not do it ... that is what you are endorsing here.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Good lord, @Robertus, you're insufferable.

OP, my advice to you is to eat as healthy as you can, work out 3-4 times a week, drink lots of water, and get your hair done the day of the wedding. Don't worry about your weight. You'll feel awesome and look beautiful and have a great time at your friend's wedding.

Then, after the wedding, figure out a healthy, long-term plan to lose those 25 lbs slowly. Be methodical, persistent, eat foods you love (just smaller amounts), keep working out, and the lbs will come off over time. Setting tight deadlines like that most often lead to failure.
    This is also very good advice.

And it directly contradicts your advice.
    There's no other way to say this...but you don't know what you're talking about and it would probably be best if you stopped trying to give advice.
    There are a variety of ways for people to proceed so two pieces of contradictory advice can both be good advice for different people with different goals and motivation. But I do not disagree with you at all. I believe very much in a postive love for one's body and it is not a good idea to lose weight or improve fitness out of self-hatred.

so now I'm really curious- is English your first language and or/have you ever been diagnosed with autism/asbergers at all.

Because everything I read is reading very much like you have a hard time reading social cues and communicating to others- which very often mean- one or both of these things apply.
  • Robertus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

Here's how I lost 60 lbs in 3 months:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Why after the wedding rather than starting NOW?

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?

There is no way for her to safely create the necessary deficit.
    Why do you think that this deficit is necessarily unsafe?

To create the deficit for this type of weightloss requires a month of negative caloric intake ... a coma without any intake would not do it ... that is what you are endorsing here.
    See PM.