diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here...
    tumblr_inline_ne1f25QNAu1rgmokl.jpg

514_400x400_NoPeel.jpg?region=name:FrontCenter,id:49518965,w:16

• brendasharp9801
    brendasharp9801 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Do the best you can. Use the event as motivation for you weight loss journey. Realistically 20 pounds might not be realistic...however you can arrive at the wedding a clothing size smaller looking and feeling terrific. We are here to support you.

Best of luck to you!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    The only thing I am unconvinced about is that we do not know how much stored fat she has. Do you know that she is 5'7" and weighs 150 lbs?

[/quote]

If you are her friend ask her what her stats are.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ... [/quote]Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! You should also speak to your doctor and a nutritionist. And make sure you make and stick to an easier and more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.
    "Don't listen to all the naysayers"

The naysayers said, this is not realistic, don't do it.
    You said, don't listen to them, ergo... Go ahead and try it.

There is NO combination of food, rest, and workouts that will get her to a 20 pound loss in 4 weeks time. We've established she needs to maintain a daily 2400 calorie deficit.

You can backpedal all you want. YOU told her to ignore all the people who said it was unhealthy.

All the other caveats you throw in there do nothing to negate that.

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    Look at her picture. You can tell just from her face that she is not morbidly obese.

The only way 20lbs in a month COULD be managed, without extreme damage to a body would be for someone who is morbidly obese.

ergo, this goal is not suited for her.

period.
    I never said or thought she was morbidly obese, and I do know that overweight or obese people can lose 20 lbs in a healthy way in a month without doing any damage to their body if they go about it the right way, focusing on increasing fitness and proper rest and nutrition. The more overweight you are, the easier it is to do, of course.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Look at her picture. You can tell just from her face that she is not morbidly obese.

The only way 20lbs in a month COULD be managed, without extreme damage to a body would be for someone who is morbidly obese.

period.
    I never said or thought she was morbidly obese, but I do know some people can lose 20 lbs in a healthy way in a month without doing any damage to their body if they go about it the right way, focusing on increasing fitness and proper rest and nutrition.

In order to maintain that kind of deficit, you need to have a fairly substantial BMR and TDEE to begin with. OP is not morbidly obese, nor is it likely that she has lots and lots of muscle mass...without those two factors, very few women have the kind of TDEE that can attain a deficit of more than 1-2 pounds per week.

Unless she's 8 and a half feet tall. Are you 8 and a half feet tall, OP?
  • Robertus
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    I don't think we know that she only has 25 extra pounds on her frame. We know what her goal is for the next month, but I do not know what her healthy weight should be. She can determine that with the advice of her physician or perhaps she already has. Depending upon how much stored fat energy she has, how effectively she can obtain ketosis, what kind of supplementation she may need, are all variables that should be discussed with her doctor and nutritionist. I think Claudia can choose her own friends.

Well thats on her ticker as her target weight loss, normally people put their ultimate target as their objective. As you are now on her friends list then just ask her. If she has 25 to lose and wants to lose 80% of that in the next 4 weeks, then thats rather a dramatic loss.

How much of that loss will be fat and how much muscle? Do you know?
    Anyone can ask her. By incorporating strength-training and focusing on increasing fitness, she will minimize the amount of muscle lost. No one knows how successful she will be at losing fat and minimizing muscle loss, but hopefully she will take my advice to focus on increasing fitness, incorporating strength training, and getting the proper amount of rest and nutrition.

• Robertus
    Options
    I'm just going to leave this here...
    tumblr_inline_ne1f25QNAu1rgmokl.jpg
    Very true. We all only have one body and we must love and listen to it.

• Robertus
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

period.

I think at this point he's just arguing because he doesn't want to admit he is wrong.
    I believe in what I've said and have tried to correct misrepresentations of what I've said. We can have a reasonable discussion. No need for an argument.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I don't think we know that she only has 25 extra pounds on her frame. We know what her goal is for the next month, but I do not know what her healthy weight should be. She can determine that with the advice of her physician or perhaps she already has. Depending upon how much stored fat energy she has, how effectively she can obtain ketosis, what kind of supplementation she may need, are all variables that should be discussed with her doctor and nutritionist. I think Claudia can choose her own friends.

Well thats on her ticker as her target weight loss, normally people put their ultimate target as their objective. As you are now on her friends list then just ask her. If she has 25 to lose and wants to lose 80% of that in the next 4 weeks, then thats rather a dramatic loss.

Anyone can ask her. By incorporating strength-training and focusing on increasing fitness, she will minimize the amount of muscle lost. No one knows how successful she will be at losing fat and minimizing muscle loss, but hopefully she will take my advice to focus on increasing fitness, incorporating strength training, and getting the proper amount of rest and nutrition.

You keep falling back on this disclaimer that the OP can do this as long as they get rest and proper nutrition, which is kind of the point everyone is trying to make. There is no plan, none, that will allow someone who's not seriously obese to lose 5 pounds a week while getting proper rest and nutrition. The math just doesn't work out.

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

If she's going to sustain that kind of deficit, she will have to look at higher calorie burning activities... i.e. cardio. Strength training doesn't burn as many calories, and the effects of it take time to show. She doesn't have time.

She's gotta rock that bikini in a month... so she'll have to cardio the hell out of her days. That kind of extensive cardio activity can damage her heart, but hey, it's all about the bikini. Unless, she does a couple hours of cardio a day and THEN adds weight training ON TOP OF IT. But I imagine she does want a life outside of all the exercise she'll be doing.

Since the body will need to get calories from somewhere, anywhere, it'll look towards fat yes, and muscle, it will also steal nutrients from her bones and could damage her organs. As she prolongs that deficit, she may find herself depressed (as if being hungry and exhausted all the time wouldn't do that anyways), she'll feel sick, her metabolism will start to slow down (HELLO Weight Gain post wedding), and her gut will likely be miserable.

But hey, it's all about the bikini.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-quickest-way-to-lose-weight/
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    jlahorn wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    jlahorn wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    That being said start your journey today.

That's not a journey, that's a death march.

What? Her goal is to loose 20 pounds. How is that death march?

Did you read anywhere in my comment I said "loose 20 pounds in x days"?

Are you quoting me for the heck of it or are you trolling?

EDTA: And taking my comment; snipping it to work in your favor so as to make it look like a conspiracy will be reported for moderation. I have zero tolerance for messing with my comments to fit them as anyone would feel them needed.

...?

I think you're inferring a lot of intention and meaning that isn't there.

Her "journey", as she described it, involves losing 20lbs in 4 weeks. On of the common-use definitions for "death march", is "a project where the members feel it is destined to fail, or requires a stretch of unsustainable overwork." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_march_(project_management)

I have no idea where you're getting anything about a conspiracy.

I think she is curious as to why you would focus on that particular sentence and ignore the other sentences where she says to choose a less aggressive and more realistic goal, and that even losing 7 lbs by the wedding would be an achievement. She wasn't advocating following the 20 lbs in 4 weeks plan.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

If she's going to sustain that kind of deficit, she will have to look at higher calorie burning activities... i.e. cardio. Strength training doesn't burn as many calories, and the effects of it take time to show. She doesn't have time.

She's gotta rock that bikini in a month... so she'll have to cardio the hell out of her days. That kind of extensive cardio activity can damage her heart, but hey, it's all about the bikini. Unless, she does a couple hours of cardio a day and THEN adds weight training ON TOP OF IT. But I imagine she does want a life outside of all the exercise she'll be doing.

Since the body will need to get calories from somewhere, anywhere, it'll look towards fat yes, and muscle, it will also steal nutrients from her bones and could damage her organs. As she prolongs that deficit, she may find herself depressed (as if being hungry and exhausted all the time wouldn't do that anyways), she'll feel sick, her metabolism will start to slow down (HELLO Weight Gain post wedding), and her gut will likely be miserable.

Thank you for this.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Sooooo, what happened to the OP? B)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ...
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Ok, so please explain to all of us "naysayers" how this is going to accomplish a 20lb loss in 4 weeks. I'd be interested to see the calculations you are using to support this.
    3,500 calories x 20 lbs = 70,000 calorie deficit that she needs to achieve. I don't know how overweight Claudia is--the more overweight she is, the easier it will be, of course--but if she focuses on health and fitness and lets the dietary and nutrition needs follow those goals, it can be done in a healthy way.

Here's how I lost 60 lbs in 3 months:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10130043/60-lbs-in-3-months#latest

And I am very healthy, very fit, and my doctor is totally on board with my focus on fitness first.

I have a feeling that the OP is maybe about 20 Lbs overweight and she thinks she's going to lose all of that in 4 weeks. I can't believe that you're actually irresponsible enough to tell her this is actually a good idea. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    We know her goal is to lose 20 lbs. We don't know that she is only 20 lbs overweight. I am not ashamed of myself and I did not tell her it is a good idea. In fact, I recommended that she make sure to make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

Why after the wedding rather than starting NOW?

How do you propose she safely create the necessary deficit to lose that much weight in such a short period of time?

There is no way for her to safely create the necessary deficit.
    Why do you think that this deficit is necessarily unsafe?

Seriously.gif
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ...
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

If she's aiming for a 5lb/week loss, then telling her to go ahead and do this while touting things like nutrition, eating enough and aiming for more fat than muscle loss is contradictory.

So basically, you're kind of a hypocrite for calling other people naysayers when your advice, ultimately, mirrors theirs as well.
    It is not contradictory. She needs enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs. She does not need enough calories to sustain her current weight.

Except the deficit that she would need would insure her body doesn't get fueled properly, especially as she's only got 25lbs to lose (per her profile).

So there isn't any way she's going to get enough nutrition to sustain her workouts let alone keep her functioning regularly.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    she wants to lose 20 pounds
    20pounds * 3500 cals (amt of cals in a pound) = 70,000
    29 days (May 16 - today)

She would need a deficit of 70,000/29=2413.7931 cals per day
    Assuming she stays at 1200 cals, then she would need to burn, on average 1200 calories a day and NOT eat them back. And if that were the case, she would be essentially netting zero.

Is my math wrong?

If it is, please tell me what I'm messing up.

If it isn't, then PLEASE tell me, @robertus, how that is safe for a 25 year old woman with only 25 extra pounds on her frame to be HEALTHY and survive on that kind of deficit for a whole freaking month.

Perhaps you should also read up on the affects of insanely low calorie intake as it relates to women and their reproductive systems. How it can fvck up menstruation, hormone levels, bone density.

Seriously, back away from the OP, and get the hell off her friend's list. She doesn't need your "support".

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif
  • flawedsoperfectly
    flawedsoperfectly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That's a lot to lose in just a month.
  • Robertus
    Options

Please note that I recommended she do cardio and incorporate strenght-training.
    She's gotta rock that bikini in a month... so she'll have to cardio the hell out of her days. That kind of extensive cardio activity can damage her heart, but hey, it's all about the bikini.
    Not if she does it properly and focuses on fitness and getting the necessary amount of rest in order to improve fitness.
    Unless, she does a couple hours of cardio a day and THEN adds weight training ON TOP OF IT. But I imagine she does want a life outside of all the exercise she'll be doing.

Doing a couple of hours of cardio a day is not focusing on improving fitness. You will only break down your health doing that. When I do really intense cardio work-outs, eg, the first few times that I swam 3 miles, I would sometimes rest for a week afterwards to let the body repair and replenish itself and build fitness. The goal is not to burn as many calories as possible per day, but to increase one's fitness and that requires rest and replenishment with good nutrition, some of which can come from supplements, some of which is already stored as fat, and some of which must be eaten. A good nutritionist can explain all of this.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Good lord, @Robertus, you're insufferable.

OP, my advice to you is to eat as healthy as you can, work out 3-4 times a week, drink lots of water, and get your hair done the day of the wedding. Don't worry about your weight. You'll feel awesome and look beautiful and have a great time at your friend's wedding.

Then, after the wedding, figure out a healthy, long-term plan to lose those 25 lbs slowly. Be methodical, persistent, eat foods you love (just smaller amounts), keep working out, and the lbs will come off over time. Setting tight deadlines like that most often lead to failure.