20lbs is 4weeks!!!

Options

Replies

• DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Using reasonable guesstimates for stats won't her TDEE for a sedentary lifestyle be in the range of 1700-1900 calories a day?

If she's only eating 1200, she'd need to burn ~1,800 additional calories a day through exercise. Unless she's incredibly fit already, even reaching that level of exercise calories in a day seems unlikely without taking all day to do it. Doing it every day without getting injured?
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    I don't think we know that she only has 25 extra pounds on her frame. We know what her goal is for the next month, but I do not know what her healthy weight should be. She can determine that with the advice of her physician or perhaps she already has. Depending upon how much stored fat energy she has, how effectively she can obtain ketosis, what kind of supplementation she may need, are all variables that should be discussed with her doctor and nutritionist. I think Claudia can choose her own friends.

Well thats on her ticker as her target weight loss, normally people put their ultimate target as their objective. As you are now on her friends list then just ask her. If she has 25 to lose and wants to lose 80% of that in the next 4 weeks, then thats rather a dramatic loss.

How much of that loss will be fat and how much muscle? Do you know?
    Anyone can ask her. By incorporating strength-training and focusing on increasing fitness, she will minimize the amount of muscle lost. No one knows how successful she will be at losing fat and minimizing muscle loss, but hopefully she will take my advice to focus on increasing fitness, incorporating strength training, and getting the proper amount of rest and nutrition.

You keep falling back on this disclaimer that the OP can do this as long as they get rest and proper nutrition, which is kind of the point everyone is trying to make. There is no plan, none, that will allow someone who's not seriously obese to lose 5 pounds a week while getting proper rest and nutrition. The math just doesn't work out.
    I think there's some significant unknown variables before we or Claudia can reach that conclusion. My point is not that she can do this as long as she gets the proper amount of rest and nutrition, but that she needs to focus on fitness and to do this she must get the proper amount of rest and nutrition.

• Robertus
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I'm sure all you think this is a crazy plan ...
    Don't listen to all the naysayers, just make sure you eat enough nutritious food to support intense work-outs and get plenty of rest after said intense work-outs, which should be a mix of cardio (eg, swimming, running) and strength-training (free weights or weight machines), the latter being very important to lose more fat and less muscle. Have fun! And make sure you make and stick to a more reasonable fitness and eating plan after the wedding.

If she's aiming for a 5lb/week loss, then telling her to go ahead and do this while touting things like nutrition, eating enough and aiming for more fat than muscle loss is contradictory.

So basically, you're kind of a hypocrite for calling other people naysayers when your advice, ultimately, mirrors theirs as well.
    It is not contradictory. She needs enough nutrition to sustain her work-outs. She does not need enough calories to sustain her current weight.

Except the deficit that she would need would insure her body doesn't get fueled properly, especially as she's only got 25lbs to lose (per her profile).

So there isn't any way she's going to get enough nutrition to sustain her workouts let alone keep her functioning regularly.
    I would not yet conclude or assume that she has only 25 lbs left to go before she reaches her ideal weight for her desired maximal level of fitness.

• Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    20 pounds in a month? Just jumping in without already working? Nope.. Sorry.. Nata.

16 pounds could be a reasonable goal (pushing hard) with an already established fitness program, then cutting back on your calories. It'll be work, but at least that's obtainable. I've done it.

Why not take this as a sign that it's time to change your fitness habits from TODAY forward and start working, instead of looking to the MFP community for support on a crash diet?
  • Robertus
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »
    Using reasonable guesstimates for stats won't her TDEE for a sedentary lifestyle be in the range of 1700-1900 calories a day?

If she's only eating 1200, she'd need to burn ~1,800 additional calories a day through exercise. Unless she's incredibly fit already, even reaching that level of exercise calories in a day seems unlikely without taking all day to do it. Doing it every day without getting injured?
    Better to consult a nutritionist and use his or her guesstimates based on knowledge of Claudia's weight, body composition, and overall level of fitness and activity.

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Actually, you can lose 20 pounds in one month. Try the Ideal Protein Diet. It will cost you about $125 per week. It's all plant based protein. You go into Ketosis and your body eats your fat. No exercise. However, if your IP Coach does not give you enough protein, you will lose muscle, which is not good. I've done it. I went from 203 to 148 in three months. Then went off it after I got back up to 155... but I couldn't even do ONE PUSHUP. I have had to seriously build muscle since then. So if you want to lose 20 pounds and you are SERIOUS, you can do it with IP. Just find a coach in your area from their website. All the best!!! :-)
    Yes, this is why her focus must be on increasing her level of fitness, ie, being able to do more push-ups, longer distances, quicker times, heavier weights. This requires proper rest and nutrition, and protein is a big part of the proper nutrition, and there are some good protein sources that do not have a lot of calories. As for the other nutritional needs, especially those that are not being obtained through supplements, Claudia will need to learn about this from a good nutritionist.

Both of you need to just stop. 56 year old man that ate less than 1200 calories many days.. and the idiot pushing quick fix expensive garbage.

She's young, doesn't have much to lose, a nutritionist is a waste at least recommend a damn dietitian. Stop offering crash diets, if she starts now she might lose a couple lbs before the wedding, throw on the bikini and enjoy yourself.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Actually, you can lose 20 pounds in one month. Try the Ideal Protein Diet. It will cost you about $125 per week. It's all plant based protein. You go into Ketosis and your body eats your fat. No exercise. However, if your IP Coach does not give you enough protein, you will lose muscle, which is not good. I've done it. I went from 203 to 148 in three months. Then went off it after I got back up to 155... but I couldn't even do ONE PUSHUP. I have had to seriously build muscle since then. So if you want to lose 20 pounds and you are SERIOUS, you can do it with IP. Just find a coach in your area from their website. All the best!!! :-)
    This is why her focus must be on increasing her level of fitness, ie, being able to do more push-ups, longer distances, quicker times, heavier weights. This requires proper rest and nutrition, and protein is a big part of the proper nutrition, and there are some good protein sources that do not have a lot of calories, eg, chicken. As for the other nutritional needs, especially those that are not being obtained through supplements, Claudia will need to learn about this from a good nutritionist.

Nice job promoting a clear spammer. Dude, seriously?
  • Robertus
    Options
    Good lord, @Robertus, you're insufferable.

OP, my advice to you is to eat as healthy as you can, work out 3-4 times a week, drink lots of water, and get your hair done the day of the wedding. Don't worry about your weight. You'll feel awesome and look beautiful and have a great time at your friend's wedding.

Then, after the wedding, figure out a healthy, long-term plan to lose those 25 lbs slowly. Be methodical, persistent, eat foods you love (just smaller amounts), keep working out, and the lbs will come off over time. Setting tight deadlines like that most often lead to failure.
    This is also very good advice.

• DaveinSK
    DaveinSK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is why her focus must be on increasing her level of fitness, ie, being able to do more push-ups, longer distances, quicker times, heavier weights. This requires proper rest and nutrition, and protein is a big part of the proper nutrition, and there are some good protein sources that do not have a lot of calories. As for the other nutritional needs, especially those that are not being obtained through supplements, Claudia will need to learn about this from a good nutritionist.

What kind of longer distances are you talking about? Unless she's an athlete already, trying to do that much cardio is going to get her injured.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator
    Inputs, 5'5", 180lbs, 13 miles, 2:30
    "Nice work! You burned 1,770 calories.. Check out the table below for your calorie burn rates at this pace too."
    Running, she'd need to do in the range of a half marathon in 2.5 hours, every day for a month.

Seriously, even if she could do the CICO requirements, she's going to hurt herself unless she's quite fit already.
  • claudiamejia2
    claudiamejia2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    WHOA... So much to read! Had to stop after 3 pages just to clear the air.
    Let me begin by thanking you all for the feedback.
    And to set the record straight- I do fit my bikini and I look decent BUT will be looking better in a month!
    I am not fond of the rude remarks.
    Inanycase, 20 lbs is not realitic because I'm not fat and I do want to maintain a healthy diet. I appreciate those who gave me fact( 2nd comment I received).
    I just need to tone the belly- holiday feasting took a toll lol

I've never had my inbox blow up to warn me about these posts- thanks for the heads up you guys are great! But you always need the critics, without, there is little to no success.

What can I say- aiming high is the right state of mind in all situations. I will continue with posts on my progress feedback are always welcome.

Best,

• Robertus
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    This is why her focus must be on increasing her level of fitness, ie, being able to do more push-ups, longer distances, quicker times, heavier weights. This requires proper rest and nutrition, and protein is a big part of the proper nutrition, and there are some good protein sources that do not have a lot of calories, eg, chicken. As for the other nutritional needs, especially those that are not being obtained through supplements, Claudia will need to learn about this from a good nutritionist.

I do not promote this kind of thing.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    WHOA... So much to read! Had to stop after 3 pages just to clear the air.
    Let me begin by thanking you all for the feedback.
    And to set the record straight- I do fit my bikini and I look decent BUT will be looking better in a month!
    I am not fond of the rude remarks.
    Inanycase, 20 lbs is not realitic because I'm not fat and I do want to maintain a healthy diet. I appreciate those who gave me fact( 2nd comment I received).
    I just need to tone the belly- holiday feasting took a toll lol

I've never had my inbox blow up to warn me about these posts- thanks for the heads up you guys are great! But you always need the critics, without, there is little to no success.

What can I say- aiming high is the right state of mind in all situations. I will continue with posts on my progress feedback are always welcome.

Best,

Hi there. Have you had a chance to glance at the stickied threads at the top of each board? This one in particular sounds like it might be the most helpful for you: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach

• Robertus
    Options
    DaveinSK wrote: »

What kind of longer distances are you talking about? Unless she's an athlete already, trying to do that much cardio is going to get her injured.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator
    Inputs, 5'5", 180lbs, 13 miles, 2:30
    "Nice work! You burned 1,770 calories.. Check out the table below for your calorie burn rates at this pace too."
    Running, she'd need to do in the range of a half marathon in 2.5 hours, every day for a month.

Seriously, even if she could do the CICO requirements, she's going to hurt herself unless she's quite fit already.
    I would never recommend running these kinds of distances. My personal exercise of choice for increasing fitness quickly is swimming. One of the nice things about swimming is that the less experienced you are, the more calories you burn doing even short distances. You do not need to, nor can you, do long distances until you develop a much more efficient stroke, which burns much fewer calories per mile.

• claudiamejia2
    claudiamejia2 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I don't think we know that she only has 25 extra pounds on her frame. We know what her goal is for the next month, but I do not know what her healthy weight should be. She can determine that with the advice of her physician or perhaps she already has. Depending upon how much stored fat energy she has, how effectively she can obtain ketosis, what kind of supplementation she may need, are all variables that should be discussed with her doctor and nutritionist. I think Claudia can choose her own friends.

Well thats on her ticker as her target weight loss, normally people put their ultimate target as their objective. As you are now on her friends list then just ask her. If she has 25 to lose and wants to lose 80% of that in the next 4 weeks, then thats rather a dramatic loss.

Anyone can ask her. By incorporating strength-training and focusing on increasing fitness, she will minimize the amount of muscle lost. No one knows how successful she will be at losing fat and minimizing muscle loss, but hopefully she will take my advice to focus on increasing fitness, incorporating strength training, and getting the proper amount of rest and nutrition.

If she's going to sustain that kind of deficit, she will have to look at higher calorie burning activities... i.e. cardio. Strength training doesn't burn as many calories, and the effects of it take time to show. She doesn't have time.

She's gotta rock that bikini in a month... so she'll have to cardio the hell out of her days. That kind of extensive cardio activity can damage her heart, but hey, it's all about the bikini. Unless, she does a couple hours of cardio a day and THEN adds weight training ON TOP OF IT. But I imagine she does want a life outside of all the exercise she'll be doing.

Since the body will need to get calories from somewhere, anywhere, it'll look towards fat yes, and muscle, it will also steal nutrients from her bones and could damage her organs. As she prolongs that deficit, she may find herself depressed (as if being hungry and exhausted all the time wouldn't do that anyways), she'll feel sick, her metabolism will start to slow down (HELLO Weight Gain post wedding), and her gut will likely be miserable.

But hey, it's all about the bikini.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-quickest-way-to-lose-weight/

I appreciate your knowledge, after reading what you know and what others have added 20 lbs. is a total overstatement however you have to set high limits to ensure upmost satisfaction- that is my mindset. After all it is all about the bikini
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Best,

I am a fan of aiming high but I am also a fan of having realistic expectations of what results you may get so that you don't:
    1. Injure yourself by working out too strenuously
    2. Damage your body in other ways by following a VLCD which can result in loss of lean muscle, issues with hair, skin, etc
    3. Waste a lot of money doing some fad diet that will at best help you lose water weight
    4. Fall off the wagon completely and end up bingeing
    5. Give up and think there is no point in doing anything if you can't achieve your ultimate goal in that short time frame.

As others have said - there are things you can do in the short term which may have a noticeable impact and set you on a long term path towards healthy fitness goals. Read the stickies provided, but most importantly, just go to the wedding and have fun.

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

If she's going to sustain that kind of deficit, she will have to look at higher calorie burning activities... i.e. cardio. Strength training doesn't burn as many calories, and the effects of it take time to show. She doesn't have time.

She's gotta rock that bikini in a month... so she'll have to cardio the hell out of her days. That kind of extensive cardio activity can damage her heart, but hey, it's all about the bikini. Unless, she does a couple hours of cardio a day and THEN adds weight training ON TOP OF IT. But I imagine she does want a life outside of all the exercise she'll be doing.

Since the body will need to get calories from somewhere, anywhere, it'll look towards fat yes, and muscle, it will also steal nutrients from her bones and could damage her organs. As she prolongs that deficit, she may find herself depressed (as if being hungry and exhausted all the time wouldn't do that anyways), she'll feel sick, her metabolism will start to slow down (HELLO Weight Gain post wedding), and her gut will likely be miserable.

But hey, it's all about the bikini.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-quickest-way-to-lose-weight/

I appreciate your knowledge, after reading what you know and what others have added 20 lbs. is a total overstatement however you have to set high limits to ensure upmost satisfaction- that is my mindset. After all it is all about the bikini

I think you took that bikini comment the wrong way...
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    You know those stories where people win millions in the lottery, they take a lump sum payment, and then shortly afterward they're broke again?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Actually, yes you did. I see it has been deleted though.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Robertus eunt domus.
  • Robertus
    Options

Actually, yes you did. I see it has been deleted though.
    No I did not. My comment has not been deleted. I merely agreed about the importance of protein and specifically suggested chicken as a food that is high in protein and low in calories. I also repeated my emphasis on fitness being the best goal, the necessity of rest and nutrition for this goal, and again recommended that Claudia see a good nutritionist. Please stop misrepresenting what I have said.