Protein Drink after Workout

Options
Hey all, So recently my trainer and I started discussing working on my eating habits. She told me she wanted me to drink a protein drink ( with at least 25 grams of protein) within an hour after working out.

Now maybe this is just me but does this actually help with weight loss? I want to trust that my trainer knows what she's talking about but doing that and she's also having me eat a significantly larger breakfast than I'm used to I feel like the actions will be counter-productive.

So my question is will this actually help me lose weight? And has anyone had these similar feelings?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Weight loss? no effect.

Maybe a slight help for muscle repair, etc, but calories in vs. calories burned is the only thing that affects weight loss.
  • Meggers003
    Meggers003 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    So with that in mind is it really "worth" spending the calories on the protein drink ?
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Weight loss? no effect.

Maybe a slight help for muscle repair, etc, but calories in vs. calories burned is the only thing that affects weight loss.

Precisely. Your trainer may not know what she is talking about--you may know more than she does.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Meggers003 wrote: »
    So with that in mind is it really "worth" spending the calories on the protein drink ?
    Possibly so, unless doing so leaves you hungry without spare calories later in the day. If it doesn't, why not?
  • wendy1021
    wendy1021 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi,

After my workout I drink a protein shake and I am still losing weight. The one I use only has 20g of protein and 93 cal per scoop. I feel its worth the calories since I tend to get hungry after my workouts. Good luck with your weight loss journey :wink:
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    protein builds muscle, the more muscle you build, the more calories your body will naturally burn each day at rest. So in a round about way, it will aid in your weight loss. I aim to get at least 100 grams of protein in everyday in both supplements and real food. My go to shake is the 100 calorie premade muscle milk shake. Its sugar free and I get 15grams of protein. Its only an 8.2 oz drink which I prefer to those huge shakes. If you want to try a bar, Quest bars are very tasty and have a good protein/calorie ratio, plus low sugar
  • CS0303
    CS0303 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to drink a protein shake as part of my breakfast. At least I get the extra protein while incorporating that into my calorie count. Good luck! Love Quest bars too.
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to the protein shake post work out. I can tell you that I find a bigger breakfast really helps me out the rest of the day. High protein(an egg, and some lean ham), a little fat(extra thin sliced sharp cheddar cheese) and whole wheat carb(muffin) and some coffee keeps me super full until lunch. and the cals(about 270-300) are worth it. sets my day up for success.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    ninav1980 wrote: »
    protein builds muscle, the more muscle you build, the more calories your body will naturally burn each day at rest. So in a round about way, it will aid in your weight loss. I aim to get at least 100 grams of protein in everyday in both supplements and real food. My go to shake is the 100 calorie premade muscle milk shake. Its sugar free and I get 15grams of protein. Its only an 8.2 oz drink which I prefer to those huge shakes. If you want to try a bar, Quest bars are very tasty and have a good protein/calorie ratio, plus low sugar

You would have to put on considerable muscle to connect those dots. Since the Op is in a deficit, she isn't putting on any muscle, unless they are newbie gains.

OP specifically asked if protein will aid in weight loss. The answer is no. Calories in vs out will determine weight loss/gain.

There is no need to drink protein within an hour of training. Overall protein intake for the day should be considered. Weight training isn't a magical tool to eat whatever you want. Will 100 calories from protein alone make you gain significant weight? No, but when you include everything else you eat for the day (including any added fats or carbs in the protein shake), if you are at a surplus you will gain weight, or at maintenance you will stall. Your trainer is probably a broscientist, and believes that if you don't pound protein directly after training you will ruin any muscle gain.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with replacing some calories with a shake. If you don't want to drink your calories, whole foods will do as well. Just make anything you change fit your overall macro and caloric goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Meggers003 wrote: »
    Hey all, So recently my trainer and I started discussing working on my eating habits. She told me she wanted me to drink a protein drink ( with at least 25 grams of protein) within an hour after working out.

Now maybe this is just me but does this actually help with weight loss? I want to trust that my trainer knows what she's talking about but doing that and she's also having me eat a significantly larger breakfast than I'm used to I feel like the actions will be counter-productive.

So my question is will this actually help me lose weight? And has anyone had these similar feelings?
    Most trainers are following nutritional advice they read from fitness magazines. They have little to no training at all on nutrition.

You DON'T need a protein shake within an hour after working out. You also don't need to eat more than you comfortable need to (as long as you're meeting reasonable daily calorie goals).

Next thing she'll be telling you is not to eat after 7pm and doing fasted cardio in the morning to burn more fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    wendy1021 wrote: »
    Hi,

After my workout I drink a protein shake and I am still losing weight. The one I use only has 20g of protein and 93 cal per scoop. I feel its worth the calories since I tend to get hungry after my workouts. Good luck with your weight loss journey :wink:
    Which makes it a preference, but it's not a necessity. You could lose weight drinking a protein shake at 6am if it fits into your calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Yes protein builds muscle, but it doesn't happen within an hour after working out.
    If protein goal is met at the end of the day, then you're good. Timing has little relevance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninav1980
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yes protein builds muscle, but it doesn't happen within an hour after working out.
    If protein goal is met at the end of the day, then you're good. Timing has little relevance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why are you quoting me as if I said those things? Strange.
  • ninav1980
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

You would have to put on considerable muscle to connect those dots. Since the Op is in a deficit, she isn't putting on any muscle, unless they are newbie gains.

OP specifically asked if protein will aid in weight loss. The answer is no. Calories in vs out will determine weight loss/gain.

There is no need to drink protein within an hour of training. Overall protein intake for the day should be considered. Weight training isn't a magical tool to eat whatever you want. Will 100 calories from protein alone make you gain significant weight? No, but when you include everything else you eat for the day (including any added fats or carbs in the protein shake), if you are at a surplus you will gain weight, or at maintenance you will stall. Your trainer is probably a broscientist, and believes that if you don't pound protein directly after training you will ruin any muscle gain.

With that said, there is nothing wrong with replacing some calories with a shake. If you don't want to drink your calories, whole foods will do as well. Just make anything you change fit your overall macro and caloric goals.

The Op is in a deficit? Didnt see her mention that anywhere in the post.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

The Op is in a deficit? Didnt see her mention that anywhere in the post.

Since she asked about weight loss, seems to be a reasonable assumption...
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake after I work out, but it is just my afternoon snack and way of meeting my protein macro for the day.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    The larger breakfast may be to have up to 20 g protein before workout. If you aretraining hard or doing hard cardio. Then post workout protein drink is to help with muscle recovery and while the oxygen is still in the muscle this gets the protein in the muscle fast and will help with building muscle and will help your muscles repair and not be sore. This is how it was explained to me anyway. There is bionic edge which is low cal 110 and low carb 3 g and taste awesome! And has no artificial fillers or chemicals added. And uses stevia as sweetener and 25 g protein. And 36 servings.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a 30g of whey isolate protein shake litterally minutes after finishing a workout. For a while i slacked on working out and eating and gained a little weight. When i started back up again i stopped taking protein right after my workout but ate food with protein when i got home. I have not noticed a difference between taking the protein shake right after the workout and getting home and eating a protein rich meal. I dont think protein timing is that important especially if your not at competition level.
  • ldeoprecor
    ldeoprecor Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are tons of studies to indicate the benefits of post workout protein supplements. Haynes Cribb posted a study in 2006 "Effects of supplement timing and resistance exercise on skeletal muscle hypertrophy". The study lasted 22 weeks and followed two groups. One group took their protein in the morning and evening, and the other took the exact same amount post and pre workout. Those who took protein blends post work out saw increased LBM and decreased body fat. Both groups saw increased gains, but the post workout group demonstrated significantly greater gains.

There are numerous studies (sourced below) that show the effects that milk can have a post workout drink in terms of increasing LBM, strength, , muscle hypertrophy and decreases in body fat.

Wlkinson S, Tarnopolsky M- Consumption of fluid skim milk promotes greater muscle protein accretion after resistance exercise than does consumption of a isonitrogenous and isoenergectic soy-protein beverage. Am J Clin Nutr 2007

Rankin J, Goldman L- Effect of post exercise supplement consumption on adaptations to resistance training. AM J Clin Nutr- 2007

Josse A, Tang J- Body composition and strength changes in women with milk and resistance exercise. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2010

There are definite benefits to what your trainer is talking about. That's not to say that you take everything that they say as the truth, but what possible reason could they have for misleading a client?

And for those that bash the trainer (or trainers in general) as not knowing anything about nutrition....really? You're making this claim on MFP forums? With what credentials? And with what backing? I'll take a controlled study over what people claim to "know" on this forum any day.
  • awkwardsoul
    awkwardsoul Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    If you just run a scoop of whey/alternatives with water, that'll be 120 calories (assuming you are taking a popular brand, ON). Don't make your protein a big event with sweetener/milk/etc if you are worried about the calories. You can also down a can of tuna which has similar stats but a bit more calories. IMO the protein powder is more pleasant.
    Sometimes I time it so my protein shake is my meal, so I lift before lunch, then I make my shake 300 calories with milk/extras.

But yeah I would say the protein will help you not get mega hungry afterward. After I lift and during recovery the next day - if I do not have my protein and casein at night, I can get so hungry, my usual meals + huge amounts of veg could not stop it