Chiropractics and Maximized Living

I've always been skeptical of chiropractics because most of the people I know that go to one seem almost cult-ish about it. They claim they go for adjustments several times a week and haven't even had so much as a cold in all the years they've been going, yet I've seen these same people ill during the given time frame so I'm always like WTH? I've been to the chiropractor a couple of times- once after a car accident and once when I was actually having severe pain in my back that I couldn't seem to manage through other methods so I ended up going as a last resort. Different practices, same experience both times. Skeevy 'doctor', spoke what seemed to be a lot of hooey, both gave me the same vibes you might get from a sleazy plastic surgeon. The one I went to after the car accident was more interested in getting me plentiful visits so I could get a better settlement (the accident was not my fault, woman pulled out, totaled my car, etc). The second doctor/practice, although every bit as skeevy, did actually get me straightened out (no pun intended), but I have a feeling it was more to do with the length of time that had passed (several weeks), rather than the 3x/week adjustments I was getting during that time.

TL;DR- my two experiences with chiropractors were equally skeevy, both doctors seemed off their rockers, did not leave me feeling like I had visited with true professionals.

Now, add to that this 'Maximized Living' program that seems to be popular with chiropractors. A brief overview of this plan or workshop or whatever you might want to call it, and I see lots of buzzwords. TOXINS. Ridding our diets of grains, fruits, dairy, and all sugars. Taking very extreme measures to 'balance' our bodies for maximum health. My husband and I were invited by one of his co-workers to come to some monthly dinner his chiropractor puts on (at the tune of $160 per person) to learn about the programs. The whole thing just left me thinking WTH again, and coupled with the fact that it's hosted by a chiropractor has me running for the hills.

Despite all that, I'm very curious to hear other people's dealings with either chiropractics (am I just missing the boat on this?) as well as these Maximized Living centers (I really don't think I'm missing the boat here, I'm just curious as hell to hear other people's experiences). I'm open to alternative medicine and such, but these two areas just seem really out there.

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    It's woo. A chiropractor can be helpful for certain joint problems, pinched nerves, etc. However, they've gone the way of naturopaths and have gathered an army of dumbed-down, anti-science followers that will swear up and down that all they need is their chiropractor, their naturopath, and their oils/detoxes/juices/whatever to be healthy. They're mostly anti-vax, also. It's really sad. Not to mention they have the power of social media, so they can shout their dogma from the mountain tops and recruit more followers.

It's a sad time to be educated in America.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    I've always been skeptical of chiropractics because most of the people I know that go to one seem almost cult-ish about it. They claim they go for adjustments several times a week and haven't even had so much as a cold in all the years they've been going, yet I've seen these same people ill during the given time frame so I'm always like WTH? I've been to the chiropractor a couple of times- once after a car accident and once when I was actually having severe pain in my back that I couldn't seem to manage through other methods so I ended up going as a last resort. Different practices, same experience both times. Skeevy 'doctor', spoke what seemed to be a lot of hooey, both gave me the same vibes you might get from a sleazy plastic surgeon. The one I went to after the car accident was more interested in getting me plentiful visits so I could get a better settlement (the accident was not my fault, woman pulled out, totaled my car, etc). The second doctor/practice, although every bit as skeevy, did actually get me straightened out (no pun intended), but I have a feeling it was more to do with the length of time that had passed (several weeks), rather than the 3x/week adjustments I was getting during that time.

TL;DR- my two experiences with chiropractors were equally skeevy, both doctors seemed off their rockers, did not leave me feeling like I had visited with true professionals.

Now, add to that this 'Maximized Living' program that seems to be popular with chiropractors. A brief overview of this plan or workshop or whatever you might want to call it, and I see lots of buzzwords. TOXINS. Ridding our diets of grains, fruits, dairy, and all sugars. Taking very extreme measures to 'balance' our bodies for maximum health. My husband and I were invited by one of his co-workers to come to some monthly dinner his chiropractor puts on (at the tune of $160 per person) to learn about the programs. The whole thing just left me thinking WTH again, and coupled with the fact that it's hosted by a chiropractor has me running for the hills.

Despite all that, I'm very curious to hear other people's dealings with either chiropractics (am I just missing the boat on this?) as well as these Maximized Living centers (I really don't think I'm missing the boat here, I'm just curious as hell to hear other people's experiences). I'm open to alternative medicine and such, but these two areas just seem really out there.

Chiros tend to be woo. HOWEVER!
    There are a few that aren't, but they are hard to find. They can be good for spinal adjustments, but little else.
  • bringon30
    bringon30 Posts: 75 Member
    My chiropractor never mentions any kind of "maximized living" program, toxins, or altering my diet. I only have a chiropractor because I seem to herniate discs easily. I get adjustments, some kind of electric treatment for the pain, and usually feel better after a few days. That's my experience. Nothing weird or "skeevy" at all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Lots of chiropractors are quacks. People want to believe that the body is more than capable of handling itself without outside medical help and chiropractors work on enforcing this for them. Problem is they neglect letting people know that genes and hereditary traits are set in people and no amount of chiropractic care is going to change risk factor.
    Pseudo science isn't science, but there are lots out there that will get duped into paying thousands and thousands of dollars for uneeded care and advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Chiropractors are frauds.

Here's the secret to being a chiropractor: If you strain your knee/elbow/back, you will get better over time (and this is assuming you don't have a serious injury). This is regardless of whether you see a chiropractor or not. But confirmation bias is strong, and if you BELIEVE that a chiropractor cracking your back is going to make you better, it will.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    bringon30 wrote: »
    My chiropractor never mentions any kind of "maximized living" program, toxins, or altering my diet. I only have a chiropractor because I seem to herniate discs easily. I get adjustments, some kind of electric treatment for the pain, and usually feel better after a few days. That's my experience. Nothing weird or "skeevy" at all.

You may have gotten a good one. There are ones that are pro science and understand their role in adjustment and pain reduction.

Then there was one guy who told me that he could cure stomach problems with spinal adjustments, even though the nerve for the stomach doesn't run through the spine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    If you want to maximize your living here are some key components:

Eat a balanced diet you can sustain for life.
    Exercise to keep yourself physically fit.
    Stay in control of your weight.
    Get adequate rest.
    Keep stress levels down.
    Address any health issues immediately.
    Find happiness in life.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I must be very lucky. The 2 chiropractors I've seen were normal doctors with no woo-woo involved.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Get adequate rest.
    Keep stress levels down.
    Find happiness in life.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's how I feel about things, and it took me a long time (and many failed attempts at getting healthy through unhealthy measures) to get to that point. I told my husband I'm not interested AT ALL in going to this $320 crappy dinner to learn a bunch of junk science. They lost me at toxins.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    It all may depend on who you see. I've had chiros that have been excellent and that yes, did help me get over my pain (and quickly - much more quickly than I think I would have on my own). I've NEVER not EVER had a chiro suggest anything dietary to me, even bring up the word "toxins" or share anything I felt was pseudo-science. I do not see a chiro 3x per week and am not cultish about it. I see regular doctors too as needed and am completely upfront with my chiros about that.

If a chiro would ever suggest to me to stop seeing other doctors, avoid medicine when needed, or suggest quackery like a cleanse, I'd leave.

Bottom line: I've gotten relief from chiropractic care, so yes, it does work for me. No, I've never experienced the crazy you describe nor do I consider myself a cult member.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    There are good chiros and bad chiros. I have a good one who explains what's wrong (confirming that he sees my old injuries that I haven't mentioned) and then what he intends to do about them (adjust me and give me some exercises to help me strengthen the muscles needed to stay in proper alignment). I generally only visit when I have managed to throw my back seriously out of alignment (the worst was pregnancy - and there really wasn't much I could do about it other than keep getting adjusted until the kid was out), and then I visit until I've managed to stay in alignment for a week or two - then I don't go again for a couple of years, and my chiro sees no problem with that. As with doctors, you don't have to settle on the first one you try, if they seem too "out there" for you to be comfortable with. Honestly, a good chiro (to me) feels a lot like any other physical therapist - with my spine being their area of expertise.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Get adequate rest.
    Keep stress levels down.
    Find happiness in life.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This ^^. If you're not doing this, no amount of back cracking, toxin cleansing or supplements is going to fix you.
  • kazaargrandcru
    kazaargrandcru Posts: 152 Member
    edited April 2015
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    I have a fab chiropractor! He's awesome :) His practice, family run for over 50 years, advocates a healthy lifestyle through diet and exercise. I used to suffer horrible headaches, some were very debilitating, so I started to go for that and now rarely have headaches. Then I lost a lot of weight, started running and now I go to help keep my body in shape. I ask a lot of my body so the least I can do is keep it in good working order :) I consider myself very lucky because I have heard some horror stories but that goes for all sorts of doctors, not just chiropractic!
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    It all may depend on who you see. I've had chiros that have been excellent and that yes, did help me get over my pain (and quickly - much more quickly than I think I would have on my own). I've NEVER not EVER had a chiro suggest anything dietary to me, even bring up the word "toxins" or share anything I felt was pseudo-science. I do not see a chiro 3x per week and am not cultish about it. I see regular doctors too as needed and am completely upfront with my chiros about that.

If a chiro would ever suggest to me to stop seeing other doctors, avoid medicine when needed, or suggest quackery like a cleanse, I'd leave.

Bottom line: I've gotten relief from chiropractic care, so yes, it does work for me. No, I've never experienced the crazy you describe nor do I consider myself a cult member.

I'm glad to read that there are at least SOME decent chiros out there. :)

Check out this website for the Maximized Living thing. It's bonkers! http://maximizedliving.com/
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member

I'm glad to read that there are at least SOME decent chiros out there. :)

Check out this website for the Maximized Living thing. It's bonkers! http://maximizedliving.com/

Honestly? I think you could argue this same thing about doctors. I've had far more bad experiences with other doctors than chiros!! A GP who diagnosed a heart condition as "anxiety" - nope, it actually was a tachycardia that I've since had surgically fixed. A cardiologist who used scare tactics to induce a lot of fear in me about my condition. And so forth.

• MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member
    bringon30 wrote: »

This. I get adjustments 3 - 4 times a year for neck & lower back issues, but he's never mentioned any programs or toxins. Initially I was very skeptical about seeing a chiro at all, but he was very clear about what he could help with (my neck/back issues & maybe headaches) and what he couldn't (migraines, in my case) and how frequently he thought I should be seen. At each appointment, he asks how I've been feeling, does what he needs to do and sends me on my way--no sales pitches or woo-woo involved.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    I've personally never been to a chiropractor... on purpose anyway. My most recent doctor, whom I went to for something unrelated, used to be a chiropractor before becoming a doctor. He compared going to a chiropractor to getting maintenance done on your car. He actually gave me some adjustments right then on my ankles, elbows, and wrists. It felt like my joints had been oiled and definitely helped my running.

My husband, Mr. Pineapple, went to the same doctor, who suggested he go to a chiropractor for a twisted sacrum. (He'd been having trouble sleeping due to back pain.) He's been going to a chiropractor for a few weeks now. He's not entirely convinced one way or the other whether it's working or not. I have noticed he seems to be sleeping better.

I definitely wouldn't use it to replace a regular doctor/medicine. I'm considering going to one to 'get some maintenance' done as my doctor suggested, but if they mentioned anything about ridding the body of toxins I'd walk right back out and find a different chiropractor!
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    I've had the same chiropractor for over 20 years...Not a quack/After my initial treatment I was handed a series of stretching and strength exercises. My imbalance was from too much core exercises for the midsection and not enough for the back area. I only go once every 12-18 months now. Only you can control your healing process and make the right choices.