The "Food Babe" Blogger Is Full of Crap

Options

Replies

• HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    As a scientist who works with Bisphenol AF on a daily basis. I can appreciate the debunking of crap (crap of epic proportions even).
    FYI - Bisphenol AF isn't the same as Bisphenol A, but the replacement for Bisphenol A is still an agent that acts in similar patterns to Bisphenol A. Enjoy!
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I know many people who have been banned from her facebook page, most because they asked "why" and for science to back her up. Instead of having an adult conversation (which would show she doesn't know what she is talking about) she just blocks people. Real mature, right?

I'm banned by Food Babe for asking what her credentials are.

Easier to ban you than saying "she learned everything on Google and proving she is an uneducated fraud
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    As a scientist who works with Bisphenol AF on a daily basis. I can appreciate the debunking of crap (crap of epic proportions even).
    FYI - Bisphenol AF isn't the same as Bisphenol A, but the replacement for Bisphenol A is still an agent that acts in similar patterns to Bisphenol A. Enjoy!

But it has PHENOL in it as in PHENOLCHLOROFORM and we all know chloroform is evil!
    /sarcasm
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm a molecular biologist and if we can't get people to accept vaccines, evolution and basic chemistry we're never gonna get them to accept eating food we can't pronounce!

We're all evil mad scientists out to poison/lie to the little guy as far as folks like this are concerned!

I like you. Sadly true though.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    I read this article this morning during my morning "detox" then posted it on my mfp status. :) Had to share on fb too for all those "cleanse" peddling thots.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Has she attacked carbon yet?
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options

But it has PHENOL in it as in PHENOLCHLOROFORM and we all know chloroform is evil!
    /sarcasm

Yes, exactly - Does this rag smell like choloroform to you? (joke, not serious)
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Totally agree - I love Science Babe, she's hilarious.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OH gosh, I get soooo crabby whenever one of my friends posts one of her RIDICULOUS posts on Facebook!

I also hate, hate her tactic of unleashing her "Food Babe Army" on random companies. Look, has Starbucks ever positioned themselves as an organic, healthy coffee shop? Last I checked, no. Has McDonalds ever promised to only ever serve healthy, well-balanced meals? NO. Why not divert your energy to supporting the companies, farms, and food establishments that you feel are doing well? Oh wait, that would be a really positive thing to do. And we've got a whole lot of angst to use!
  • Beauty_For_Ashes
    Beauty_For_Ashes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I actually use to follow her. I think that lasted all of a week. I don't recall the article or post I read, but sure enough, it was enough for me to bail because her logic is completely flawed and I am not that stupid. I think the quote that made me giggle the most was,

"Hari's rule? "If a third grader can't pronounce it, don't eat it.

My rule? Don't base your diet on the pronunciation skills of an eight-year-old."

Seriously - I have a 9 year old and I know how well he can read. If this were the case, I'd eat eggs, cheese, mac and cheese and broccoli for the rest of my life. :D:D:D

Thanks for posting this! After I stopped following her, I didn't really think much of her, and it makes me sad that people follow her like lambs. :(
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Who is more of an a'hole: Food Babe or that Banana girl?

I'm so glad this article was posted. This just made my day.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'm a molecular biologist and if we can't get people to accept vaccines, evolution and basic chemistry we're never gonna get them to accept eating food we can't pronounce!

We're all evil mad scientists out to poison/lie to the little guy as far as folks like this are concerned!

Touche`! Fear mongering is a hell of a marketing tool.
  • cmcdonald525
    cmcdonald525 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My mother buys into all this garbage. And I was recently added to a Facebook group for healthy living (without permission or any desire to join) that spouts this and junk like "eat 1c of organic blueberries every day to banish belly fat!" I'm going to have to steal this article and *hopefully* get myself kicked out of a fb group. Thanks for the post!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Ha! For the sweetest revenge, follow Science Babe instead. She's funnier.

Love her. Seriously. She makes me laugh so hard. Her youtubes where she gets drunk on homeopathy pet "medicine". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJokxl4RY4s

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I just feel like this thread needs to be bumped as often as possible. Nothing to see here. Carry on.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I've actually never heard of the Food Babe blogger. I guess I should consider myself lucky. I'm going to check out the Science Babe when I get home!
  • skysiebaby
    skysiebaby Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Literally just shared this same article from Gawker with my husband and we both had a laugh at it. Staggering the number of people I know who buy into the same kinda BS this 'Food Babe' spouts.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've never heard of her before, but I see similar garbage on my Facebook feed All. The. Time.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I know many people who have been banned from her facebook page, most because they asked "why" and for science to back her up. Instead of having an adult conversation (which would show she doesn't know what she is talking about) she just blocks people. Real mature, right?

I have been banned from her facebook page... I'm going to guess it's because I called her a hypocrite because of her "shill" finger pointing... as she is a shill for many a "natural and organic" products...

But it's ok for her to hock over priced juice and other products because "her heart is in the right place"... this would be true if the "right place" was in the willfully ignorant peoples wallets.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I recently discovered Science Babe and Science Based Medicine, and love their blogs. SBM has a chemical breakdown of a banana to prove that she just uses fear of things she can't pronounce to fuel her "movement", and it's hilarious.

The Food Babe probably started out with good intentions, but she's become drunk with influence, and now just doesn't care about the nonsense she peddles. Her undoing has been underway for awhile, and I'm glad to see her BS being torn apart, brick by brick. There are a lot of good write-ups on her scam.

I was intrigued by her at first, but after reading her blog and looking at her "investigations" (I can't believe she uses this word to describe her activities), I dropped her like a bad habit.