Getting frustrated....

Options
I joined a weight loss challenge event last week and I have been watching my calories and logging every food and actually entering calories on the higher side just to be safe. I work out at least 5 days a week for at least 45min. I got on the scare today and I GAINED 4 pounds!!! What is going on? I cannot for the life of me figure this out ...

Replies

• jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Just one week u have been at it correct? If thats the case and your new to working out your muscles are probably retaining water. It can honestly take up to three weeks for this to dissipate. Just hang in there
  • lwielgosz
    lwielgosz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been exercising (walking) for about 2 weeks. I just started really getting serious when the challenge started last Sunday.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    K walking shouldnt cause retained water. So... other possibilities are high sodium intake, that time of the month, or not proprely measuring food. Ur diary is closed or I would check it out just to see
  • lwielgosz
    Options
    It gave me a calorie goal of 2160 per day. I was hitting about 1600-1700 before exercising. Exercise is the last thing I do before I got to bed. I have reset my calorie goal to 1200 per day. Is that a reasonable goal? I'm a rather large woman but I have no issues with over eating just bad choices in the past as well as having a couple kids. Lol.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    1200 is very low. Honestly I tried it and couldnt keep it up. Im at 1500. Were u eating back exercise calories?
  • lwielgosz
    Options
    Nope. That's why exercise is the last thing I do at night. I try to stay under my goal and then exercise to burn off some of those calories to create my deficit.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh ALL your solid food?
  • lwielgosz
    Options
    I don't weigh any food.
  • jenncornelsen
    Options
    lwielgosz wrote: »
    I don't weigh any food.
    this can make a big difference. how are u measuring with cups? calorie dense food should be weighed. this would be your meat, cheese butter oils even potatos and pasta. u might end up getting a big surprise
  • Torxhart
    Torxhart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs since Feb,I consumed under 1000 a day and watched my carb intake.It sucked the first few weeks but I'm a impatient person and if I didn't see results I wouldn't stick with it.I lost about 3 to 5 lbs a week I used and still use EAS carbAvantage that you can buy at Wal-Mart to replace 2 meals a day
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Nope. That's why exercise is the last thing I do at night. I try to stay under my goal and then exercise to burn off some of those calories to create my deficit.

Then you are netting below 1200 and that is very unhealthy....

If you set your goal at 1200 even thou you were given a goal of 2160 (which is probably correct if you are a larger woman) you are already in a very large deficit and you need to eat more.

4lbs tho is probably water retention from new exercise which can last about 2-4 weeks.

But yes weigh your food and log accurately to find out how much you are really eating.

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Weighing food is going to be a huge eye opener. I vastly underestimate how much I'm eating when I don't weigh things. Food scales aren't too expensive, so I would suggest picking one up and using it from here on out.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    I don't weigh any food.

Than there is probably your problem You eat more than you think
    Watch this eye-opener video

Start weighing ALL your solid food and measure your liquids
    It can make hundreds of calories difference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    1. Weigh all your food
    2. Eat at least 1200 calories ( when you have a higher calorie allowance eat more :) )
    3. When you exercise eat on top of your 1200 about 25 to 50% of your exercise calories back
    4. Be honest to your self and log everything
    5. Be patience
    6. Be moderate and disciplined
    7. enough rest
    8. 2 to 3 liter water/fluid a day.

And the weight will come off.... fast or slow that depends. That is for everybody different.

I lost 80 pounds in 166 days this way.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i weighed and measured everything starting at the end of december, logging every morsal. it took a month of this for my body to start shedding the weight, at a 1lb/week deficit.
  • jennbo83
    jennbo83 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water! I drink a minimum of liters a day. This will take care of possible water retention. Check your sodium. Sodium will also contribute to water retention. Try avoiding and prepackaged food because it is often filled with sodium. Weigh and measure everything you eat. You will be surprised by how much you may be over eating. I know I was when I started to measure food.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Great video Owl House.

Here is another video that shows the importance of proper food logging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU#t=260

If you aren't losing weight, the bottom line is you are eating more than you are burning. Eat less or exercise more.
  • lwielgosz
    Options
    This whole thing is so frustrating to me. Lol. I have realized that the gaining was water weight since I had stopped taking my BP pills (which is also a diuretic) since starting them again the water weight is gone and I am back to my starting weight and I have not seen any change in 2 weeks. Everyone that I am in the challenge with is losing weight left and right and I am at a standstill. I have been eating about 1300-1500 calories a day (this total is what I assume without weighting food) and I get on my treadmill for about 45-60min 5 days a week walking for 2-3miles each time. I really want to do good in this challenge and based on the number on the scale it looks like I am not doing anything
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh any food.

Here is your problem.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    (this total is what I assume without weighting food)

and like i said before
    this is your problem!