2 hour cardio ?

Options
12346»

Replies

• zc020587
    zc020587 Posts: 7
    Options
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol

Hey I'm one of those people
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't recall ever doing 2 hours of cardio, but I see nothing wrong with that. The reason behind it and where it's done does not matter. Be it performance or for the calorie boost, outside or on a machine, if a person is well conditioned to spend that much time doing it and doesn't mind it, then all power to them.
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    zc020587 wrote: »
    Probaly a dumb question but hey I needed to ask I see people who stay on those cardio machines 2 hours plus lol

Hey I'm one of those people

Hey there !
  • jennifuhre
    jennifuhre Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It depends on my caloric intake. I have a food addiction so bad that I will wake up and get McDonald's fries. Thankfully I am not obese. However I am overweight for my height.

For example yesterday I ate 900 calories over my caloric goal of 1200 so I did an hour spin class and 30 minutes running on the treadmill at 6mph. Sometimes I switch and do 15 minute intervals of each machine (treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical) with varied excercise like interval or sprints so I don't get bored staring at a wall.
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't recall ever doing 2 hours of cardio, but I see nothing wrong with that. The reason behind it and where it's done does not matter. Be it performance or for the calorie boost, outside or on a machine, if a person is well conditioned to spend that much time doing it and doesn't mind it, then all power to them.

True I understand that . I'm not trying to down anyone for doing cardio on a machine for 2 hours plus. I was just curious why becAuse many people have their own reasons why . And it's interesting to me to see why .
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Why do I do so much cardio?

Besides enjoying it, it feels pretty dang good to be able to eat 3600 calories per day to maintain.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I spend 2 hours + doing cardio at least 3 times per week. Usually 1 hour to 1.5 the other days. No loss of muscle here.

I was talking about excessive like 2 hours EVERYDAY.....and also if you're eating enough protein...of course you won't lose muscle.

You can eat protein till you're blue in the face and you've blown your kidneys out- that won't save muscle.

You have to use them in order to not loose them. Yes you need protein- but protein + cardio doesn' t = muscle saved.

A well rounded fitness program for general health and wellness will include a cardiovascular component and a resistance/strength training component. The more specific the training goals- the more that is going to tip to one side or another in terms of volume and intensity.

But just eating more protein isn't a catch all for muscle.

Sigh. Man I wish you some good luck- you have a long way to go.

Who the hell told you you only needed to use protein in order to preserve muscle? I never said anything about no resistance training...OF course you need that. What I've been doing is working as I'm losing fat and my muscle mass hasn't decreased at all because I've did a combination of all of the above including strength training and some cardio. You probably misunderstood me.

you did sweetcheeks
    and also if you're eating enough protein...of course you won't lose muscle.

I've bolded it in the previous quotes section for you as well.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

why, on god's green earth, would anyone want to spend two hours on a machine?

Perhaps they are training for their sport?

In winter I watch quite a few games of rugby (or other TV programs) on a training bike or elliptical - too cold for me to train outdoors. So instead sitting on my *kitten* on the sofa watching the game I'm working my *kitten* off and still enjoying watching the game.

Is it so surprising that people have different fitness goals?

I train for my sport outdoors all winter, running in temperatures as low as -25C, so, yeah... it does surprise me when people choose to spend that amount of time on a machine.

I run in -20, but not this winter because we had so much snow it was dangerous. The bankings were taller than people, so cars couldn't see you coming. But I'm not going to judge those who choose to run indoors. I tried running an indoor track, and it wasn't for me, but really, who cares what others do? It's not your body or your choice. It's theirs. Live & let live and save your energy for your own personal improvement.

I don't care what others do. I simply don't understand why someone would choose to spend that amount of time on a machine. I'd rather gouge my eyes out. I guess that means you're more dedicated than I am.

No one said that, although you kinda implied it. I can clearly see the game you're playing here. So I'm stepping off cause I won't play this way with my 15 year old.

Nice profile pic BTW. I kinda prefer showing the results of my efforts but don't worry. You will when you get there :wink:
    Dafuq is wrong with you?

^this
    though I see the original comment was deleted before I actually got to reply to it. Still, you stay classy, lady.

This conversation made me lul.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    2 hours of elliptical just to burn calories for the sake of it isn't the same as 2 hours of bike ride in nature or 2 hours of hiking with friends, etc.
    if you want to do a lot of cardio, have fun with it and fuel your workouts.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    2 hours of elliptical just to burn calories for the sake of it isn't the same as 2 hours of bike ride in nature or 2 hours of hiking with friends, etc.

This may sound like heresy, but I like treadmill more than I do running outside. All the cars, uneven roads, pebbles, people, rain, sun, and so on and so forth. I like the comfort of my treadmill, the access to water without having to carry it around with me, The fan blowing at me in the summer, and the fact that I don't need to layer up in the winter. On the treadmill I don't have to worry about paying attention to anything but my running, and can focus on listening to my audiobooks being in my own world, The perfect little "me time".

I don't feel ashamed that I happen to enjoy something people consider "inferior". We all have our own little kinks and preferences, just like some people enjoy watching soap operas and reality shows despite having access to "superior content".
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

2 hours of cardio is 2 hours of cardio.

The elements may take more of a toll on you unquestionable- but it's not like there is some magical hooey about being outside that makes it more efficient. If I need to do cardio- then I need to do cardio- outside or inside- doesn't matter- the cardio gets done- I don't get bonus points for being outside.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Sure, some days! Some days I'll do 30-40 on the treadmill and then do a 45 minute aqua zumba and 45 minute high intensity water aerobics class back to back later. Just depends on how I feel, and what kind of time I have!
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This may sound like heresy, but I like treadmill more than I do running outside. All the cars, uneven roads, pebbles, people, rain, sun, and so on and so forth. I like the comfort of my treadmill, the access to water without having to carry it around with me, The fan blowing at me in the summer, and the fact that I don't need to layer up in the winter. On the treadmill I don't have to worry about paying attention to anything but my running, and can focus on listening to my audiobooks being in my own world, The perfect little "me time".

I don't feel ashamed that I happen to enjoy something people consider "inferior". We all have our own little kinks and preferences, just like some people enjoy watching soap operas and reality shows despite having access to "superior content".

Same here honestly. I'm really not an outdoor kind of girl. Never have been. I like my treadmill where I can control the temperature, and watch tv or read while I walk/run. To each their own!
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else some days do more cardio than other days ? And if so why ?

Two hours is a fairly typical long run on Saturdays for me.
  • jess031988
    jess031988 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    fridays and saturdays I'm one of those 2hr people. I run for 2 hours or I do an hour run and an hour stairmaster. I like it and I was trying to train for a half marathon, now I just do it out of routine.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

I've done two hour plus runs on the treadmill or on my bike trainer. It's not ideal, but if it's the dead of winter and everything is covered in ice, it's the best option to keep myself in shape. I was going to watch Netflix anyway, might as well also run 12 miles.
    Especially with big races early in the season.
    I wouldn't do it if I wasn't training for something though.

When it's nice out, I'll happily do a three hour run or 4 hour bike outside.

Riding/running on snow and ice are the best! Just get studded tires or those cleats for your running shoes. BOOM, instant grip!

And the freeeeezing cold? Hits -21 here in Chicago lol. Fortunately it got better so I'm back to running outside now. Like she said, I might as well run while doing a Marathon for a TV show.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    SBRRepeat wrote: »

I've done two hour plus runs on the treadmill or on my bike trainer. It's not ideal, but if it's the dead of winter and everything is covered in ice, it's the best option to keep myself in shape. I was going to watch Netflix anyway, might as well also run 12 miles.
    Especially with big races early in the season.
    I wouldn't do it if I wasn't training for something though.

When it's nice out, I'll happily do a three hour run or 4 hour bike outside.

Riding/running on snow and ice are the best! Just get studded tires or those cleats for your running shoes. BOOM, instant grip!

Snow, rain, wind, I'll push through-I love snow running- but I draw the line at ice. My knees are already injury prone enough.
    I've got cleats for my running shoes that I used all winter. But, my only bike is my precious Fuji road bike and I would never embarrass her like that.
  • Sophiasmomma
    Sophiasmomma Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I enjoy cardio. I only do dvds or take long walks so depending on my energy level I do sometimes close to an hour or hour an a half. I use a HRM so I enjoy seeing the cals burned when Im done :blush: weird I know
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else some days do more cardio than other days ? And if so why ?

Yep ...

Because I enjoy it.
    Because it helps me work toward my goals.