Do you cut out certain foods for weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sodas and juice. That's it. The rest I eat in moderation (I don't have chips or fried food much often at all though).
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I changed my food because I was diagnosed as diabetic, but otherwise I stay within my calorie goal. I have mostly cut out sugary drinks, part diabetes, but part empty calories and sugar consumption I'd rather use for other things. For me, I found if I don't fit in a way to have a craving (ie eat some chocolate), I'll end up binging (ie eat the whole bar and regret it).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Kale and oatmeal is "outlawed" in my house.. tried to introduce it but it was huge failure.. LOL

Still eat my favorite things just the portions are a lot smaller.. Before I came to MFP I never knew I was eating up to triple what a portion size really was... :o:s

No more sweet tea or soda. Hate to drink my calories..
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - no, I just reduce certain foods that are calorie dense, but I still eat them.

do you use a food scale and weigh all your solids?

if your progress is slowing down it is not due to food type, but over consumption of foods….
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    For reasons other than weight loss I cut alcohol. Weight loss was the bi-product though, 30lbs before doing mfp.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    What would be the benefit in cutting a food for 1 day? Your body's calories don't reset when the clock strikes midnight. Your progress is slowing down due to how many calories in vs calories out you're working with. Some people cut entire food groups, but I don't find that sustainable.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My diet is very sustainable and changes very little whether I am cutting, maintaining or gaining... just the proportions change. Other than that, no I don't cut out things and make it more complicated than it has to be. Do whatever puts you into a deficit and is sustainable for you.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've cut nothing out of my diet. I just figured out what a proper serving size is and if it will fit into my goals for the day. Food scale comes in mighty handy.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »
    I was thinking about changing up my diet a bit since my weight loss has been slowing down. One day I might not eat meat, and the next no processed foods (I only eat whole wheat anyways). Thoughts? Ideas? Do you do something similar?

I cut out nothing, but did cut down severely on desserts, alcohol, and takeout or delivery pizza. Actually, I guess you could say I cut out the pizza since I haven't had any in over a year, but that is mostly because it would be a waste of food and money for me to order a pizza and only have one serving (I live alone so nobody here to eat the leftovers before they got stale).

• dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    baodom10 wrote: »
    I have cut down on breads, fried foods, and sugars. I do not drink soda. I do have 1 to 2 cheat meals a week (not day but meal) and if I want a soda or pizza I will have it. Its easier to stay on the no sugar and grains when you can have a cheat meal. I have lost weight and feel so much better cutting out these things. But I am having to learn to be creative in what I make.

Why not just make those foods fit your macros or calories, instead of having "cheat meals"?
  • Garebearrr
    Garebearrr Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't know where to began with this lol... Two standpoints: 1) Health wise of foods such as eating organic and not processed foods will aid in less toxicity of the body but body composition wise 2) you need to look at your macros (carbs, fats, protein) ratio. If you're hitting a plateau then drop your carbs down 10-50grams or so and see how it goes for a few weeks, adjust accordingly (ramp up, 10grams less the first few days, then 20, then 30 so your body can adjust without feeling depleted). It's calories consumed vs calories burned, that's all body composition is. It's not about removing certain foods, it's about calories. Although eating a well balanced diet will aid in all this because it's easier to hit your recommended of carbs, fats, and protein if you eat healthier. A good starting would be 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat, you can adjust it in the app. Everyone is different with amounts their body likes, it's trial and error.
  • TheGetFitGal
    TheGetFitGal Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have cut down on sodas, mac donalds, noodles, rice to one time a day instead of 2 times a day, oh and chocolate
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    No.
  • jangus9416
    jangus9416 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    My diet is very sustainable and changes very little whether I am cutting, maintaining or gaining... just the proportions change. Other than that, no I don't cut out things and make it more complicated than it has to be. Do whatever puts you into a deficit and is sustainable for you.

I don't find this to be making anything difficult, but more so creating small goals that are easily reached. Like instead of cutting out all desserts, I would say no dessert Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I agree with someone else's comment that it might be more successful to have short term goals. Either way, I'm almost always in a deficit. I just started weighing my food to answer someone's else's question.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I haven't consciously cut anything out though I have made the choice not to keep certain things in my house because the 'moderate portion' that would fit in my calories doesn't exist :P

I don't drink calories either just because I simply do not have enough of them to spare anymore. Was great when I could lose weight eating 2800-3000 / day but being so much lighter now makes it really hard to stick to 1800 - and I have to work my *kitten* off to be able to eat those!

I think you will find that people who must eat less because they are lighter/smaller/older will tend to go the route of choosing not to eat certain things where people who still have a ton of calories they are allowed to eat will be able to eat everything in moderation. All depends where you are in your journey.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    baodom10 wrote: »
    I have cut down on breads, fried foods, and sugars. I do not drink soda. I do have 1 to 2 cheat meals a week (not day but meal) and if I want a soda or pizza I will have it. Its easier to stay on the no sugar and grains when you can have a cheat meal. I have lost weight and feel so much better cutting out these things. But I am having to learn to be creative in what I make.

Why not just make those foods fit your macros or calories, instead of having "cheat meals"?

because that would be too easy ...

weight loss is hard work with complicated formulas and never ending lists of "bad" foods that must be avoided at all cost...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

I don't find this to be making anything difficult, but more so creating small goals that are easily reached. Like instead of cutting out all desserts, I would say no dessert Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I agree with someone else's comment that it might be more successful to have short term goals. Either way, I'm almost always in a deficit. I just started weighing my food to answer someone's else's question.

I wasn't really referring to you specifically, it was about not making it complicated for me. Hence the 'do what works for you'. If what you are doing is working and you are happy with it, keep doing it. Not sure how close you are to your goal, but it is normal for losses to slow down the closer you get.. just be sure to tighten up your logging (which it sounds like you are doing by weighing your food).
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yes some sweets
  • JKimm1
    JKimm1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Soda and alcohol. Club soda and lime all the way!
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Kale and oatmeal is "outlawed" in my house.. tried to introduce it but it was huge failure.. LOL

Still eat my favorite things just the portions are a lot smaller.. Before I came to MFP I never knew I was eating up to triple what a portion size really was... :o:s

No more sweet tea or soda. Hate to drink my calories..

Feel free to bring your kale and oatmeal to my house. :-)