Options

Replies

• JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    jabx1962 wrote: »
    12 -3 Minute rounds of Boxing on a heavy bag....1 minute active rest between rounds....works for me..

I highly doubt this
    JenMaselli wrote: »
    I'm sorry - what do you mean by "real calories" ? Are there other kinds of calories out there? Also, you can get a HRM for about $30 on Amazon, I love mine.

I took it to mean her actual burn, not the machine's readout or MFP over-estimation.

Ah. Well, she's saying she would burn 2000, 1000 of which are "real." I know MFP isn't super accurate, but it's not off by 50%.

Based on how people use it, it's been known to be off by more than that. I've seen numbers literally 10x what they should be.

That's more user error, though, right? Anyone can put in any amount of calories for an exercise, but if you've got an estimate on your treadmill and then an estimate on MFP and then you compare those to your HRM, they are not that far apart. I mean, that's my experience. I find that MFP is really off on the things that are harder to quantify, like yoga. But straight running, elliptical, biking etc., if you put in your accurate effort and weight shouldn't vary by that wide a margin. Or not that I've noticed.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    12 -3 Minute rounds of Boxing on a heavy bag....1 minute active rest between rounds....works for me..

I highly doubt this
    I'm sorry - what do you mean by "real calories" ? Are there other kinds of calories out there? Also, you can get a HRM for about $30 on Amazon, I love mine.

I took it to mean her actual burn, not the machine's readout or MFP over-estimation.

Ah. Well, she's saying she would burn 2000, 1000 of which are "real." I know MFP isn't super accurate, but it's not off by 50%.

Based on how people use it, it's been known to be off by more than that. I've seen numbers literally 10x what they should be.

That's more user error, though, right?

The typical combination is obese + out of shape + entering 60 minutes of "vigorous" Zumba or 30 Day Shred.

"Vigorous" in the MFP context doesn't mean you ran out of breath - it means you're super fit and worked your freakin' *kitten* off.

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    I've burned this much while on vacation according to the HRM. An hour on the elliptical or stair ergometer in the morning in the hotel gym, then a 2-3 hour walk sightseeing later in the day.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I highly doubt this

That's more user error, though, right?

The typical combination is obese + out of shape + entering 60 minutes of "vigorous" Zumba or 30 Day Shred.

"Vigorous" in the MFP context doesn't mean you ran out of breath - it means you're super fit and worked your freakin' *kitten* off.

Oh dear. :( 30 Day Shred is great but it doesn't burn many calories. I do notice that some people wildly overestimate how many calories we burn during exercise. Not on MFP but people I know IRL. It can be disheartening when you realize that a 5 mile run didn't wipe out your entire plate of tacos from lunch.
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Set five Poptarts on fire.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You could do like 1.5 hours on the elliptical. According to my HRM, I burn around 600 calories in 1 hour so 1/2 an hour more would get you to 1000
  • Tatarataa
    Tatarataa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    According to MFP I did reach 2045 calories today which equals my 1000 calories that I wanted to reach if devided by two. I am happy about that. More to your questions when I am less tired (because of the time of the day I am feeling also a bit tired because of the exercise but in a positive way).
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,906 Member
    Options
    Cycling 2.5 hours at 400 calories per hour will do it.

That's what I did this weekend. :)
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Tatarataa wrote: »
    Is it possible to burn that amount?

I do every Tuesday (an hour of lifting followed by an hour on a bike at a minimum of a level 11 resistance) and Wednesday (10 minutes of jumping jacks/lunges/squats, 50 minutes of Tabata, an hour of Pilates, then an hour of yoga). They are my two big days at the gym and I burn right around 1000 both days. I work in at least another three hours at some point during the week.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    dcresider wrote: »
    Bike 30 miles and should roughly burn 1000+ calories. That's about 3-4 hours bicycling around 12 mph.

I cannot believe that to be honest! When still living in Europe we'd go on very lengthy cycle rides at a moderate pace like 12mph pretty much every weekend. As I was eating at maintenance I should have dropped some weight. But I didn't as cyling preserves a lot of energy if you've got a half-decent bike. Of course if you're doing this in a mountainous landscape with an old Dutch ladies bike against the wind, that's something different.
  • Machka9
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    dcresider wrote: »
    Bike 30 miles and should roughly burn 1000+ calories. That's about 3-4 hours bicycling around 12 mph.

I cannot believe that to be honest! When still living in Europe we'd go on very lengthy cycle rides at a moderate pace like 12mph pretty much every weekend. As I was eating at maintenance I should have dropped some weight. But I didn't as cyling preserves a lot of energy if you've got a half-decent bike. Of course if you're doing this in a mountainous landscape with an old Dutch ladies bike against the wind, that's something different.

No, I don't believe it either. Or at least part of it. There's a serious math error. 30 miles at 12 mph is 2.5 hours ... not 3-4 hours.

However, once you correct the math error ...

If you assume 400 calories per hour, cycling for 2.5 hours at 12 mph, as described, could indeed burn 1000 calories. Just.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    But that's what I mean: 400kcal for casual cycling (that's what 12mph is) on a half decent bike - I'm sure doesn't burn so much energy. I'd even guess that walking half-briskly burns more energy. The friction on a well-maintained bike is very low, you just let gravity do it's thing in getting you forward, there's hardly any effort involved in it. Now if you get up to 18mph or similar: there's some effort involved.
  • Machka9
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    But that's what I mean: 400kcal for casual cycling (that's what 12mph is) on a half decent bike - I'm sure doesn't burn so much energy. I'd even guess that walking half-briskly burns more energy. The friction on a well-maintained bike is very low, you just let gravity do it's thing in getting you forward, there's hardly any effort involved in it. Now if you get up to 18mph or similar: there's some effort involved.

Maybe you're fit enough that there's no effort for you at 12 mph :) , but personally I have to work to get up to that speed. That's about 20 km/h. I used to be able to cruise at that speed without too much effort ... I used to be able to knock off 100 km rides in 4 hours with a bit of effort ... but now I'm working to maintain 18 km/h. Maintaining 18 km/h for 2.5 hours is definitely an effort.

• Tatarataa
    Options
    The cycling sounds quite interesting...I also read many different values for cycling. On the one hand side, they were even lower or as low as slow (!) walking, especially for stationary recumbant bikes at a low speed, and on the other hand side you always hear that spinning burns tons of calories, as well as the "semi-professional" road biking that some people are doing on their speed bikes outdoors.....
  • Tatarataa
    Options
    By the way-how did you measure your calorie burn? Using a HRM? Can anyone give me some advice whether it makes sense to buy a HRM and which one, please? (I might also post this somewhere else)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    By the way-how did you measure your calorie burn? Using a HRM? Can anyone give me some advice whether it makes sense to buy a HRM and which one, please? (I might also post this somewhere else)

i use MFP numbers... i eat 100% back and its not stopped my weight loss... its a bit of a generalisation when people say MFP numbers are totally wrong.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    According to MFP I did reach 2045 calories today which equals my 1000 calories that I wanted to reach if devided by two. I am happy about that. More to your questions when I am less tired (because of the time of the day I am feeling also a bit tired because of the exercise but in a positive way).

just out of interest, what did you do to burn 2045 cals?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to burn that amount?

I do every Tuesday (an hour of lifting followed by an hour on a bike at a minimum of a level 11 resistance) and Wednesday (10 minutes of jumping jacks/lunges/squats, 50 minutes of Tabata, an hour of Pilates, then an hour of yoga). They are my two big days at the gym and I burn right around 1000 both days. I work in at least another three hours at some point during the week.

If you're doing 50 mins of tabata you are doing it wrong.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    According to MFP I did reach 2045 calories today which equals my 1000 calories that I wanted to reach if divided by two. I am happy about that. More to your questions when I am less tired (because of the time of the day I am feeling also a bit tired because of the exercise but in a positive way).

Just curious, what did you do to burn 2045 calories and how long did it take? A 1000 cal burn for me is a 10 mile run, and 2000 would be an 19-20 mile run, and both those take serious training...
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    What workouts did you do to burn 2,000 today ?