Replies

• Crogirl_22
    Crogirl_22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Do you have any info about yourself? ;)
  • chadluvsrue
    chadluvsrue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sure I'm 6'4 and currently weigh 210. I was about 245. I seem to be stuck at 210 and not really able to add weight or muscle with my diet. Carbs are so limited now. I know I need to go way up on my protein but not sure how much or what else I can do. Thanks for responding!!!
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Can your doctor refer you to a dietician?
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    Yes I have seen a dietician. She did not offer any advice on weight gain or building muscle. Thank you for asking
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Are you treating with diet, pills, or insulin?
    How are your BG's (what was your last A1C)?
    When were you diagnosed?
    Did you ever have an antibody test to rule out the possibility of type 1? (i.e. LADA or type 1.5 when diagnosed as an adult)
    Do you see an endocrinologist?
    What is your body fat % and skeletal muscle %?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes I have seen a dietician. She did not offer any advice on weight gain or building muscle. Thank you for asking

Did you ask? Not being snarky, just interested. If you asked and he/she couldn't advise, I'd ask to see someone else.

Reason being, most people will shy away from advising you because of the medical condition. I wouldn't trust my health to randomers on the internet.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    At 6'4" and 210 lbs, you are already considered overweight. Why are you trying to gain weight? That's a terrible idea considering you are diabetic.
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    I am far from overweight. I'm trying to build muscle not gain fat, which is hardly a bad thing for anyone much less a diabetic
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    With diet and exercise I am no longer having to take insulin or pills to control my blood sugars. When diagnoses my a1c was 12. 4 months later it was 4.5.
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    I am not trying to get huge. I simply want to add lean muscle. I am well versed with gym or work out routines to accomplish this. However with diabetes in the mix I am struggling with a good diet to help me achieve a weight I am comfortable with.
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can replace carbs solely with protein as there is a risk of organ damage. I'm sure you can eat healthy fats that will not result in new fat stores. I recommend you consider beans, legumes, tree nuts such as almonds, walnuts, Pistachio nuts, and Avocado. I'm not sure how you can avoid all carbs without eliminating all fruits and vegetables. Dark green vegetables are slow digesting carbs and should not spike your blood glucose nor will citrus fruits (oranges and similar fruit), or berries.
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    Thanks Mike. That's good advice. I appreciate it!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I am far from overweight. I'm trying to build muscle not gain fat, which is hardly a bad thing for anyone much less a diabetic

According to BMI (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm), you are in the overweight category.

When you build muscle, you will put on fat as well. That's inevitable.

• marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm a Type 2 Diabetic. Gaining any weight outside of muscle weight is incredibly unhealthy and could lead to permanent damage your kidneys, blindness, neuropathy, etc. It also will lead to irregular blood sugar (insulin will not know what to do). I'm scared for you and your health by wanting to gain weight, but that's just me. Good luck to you and hope you make a wise decision.
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    Dear fat free. Thank you your responses and help. I am well aware of what the BMI index says for my ht and wt. And I am also well aware of how adding muscle will also make me gain some body fat as well. As I stated with diet and exercise I no longer need to take any medication for my diabetes. Adding some muscle "not much" isn't a concern with my diabetes and certainly not something I will blink at when it comes to the BMI chart. I completely understand how being overweight can impact diabetes. But regardless of what you read on the index I am far from overweight. Trust me on that ! Far from it! I eat healthy and live healthy, well now I do. And there isn't anything wrong with being lean and muscular. I know what the BMI index says where I should be. And frankly when I weighed that much a small gust of wind would have knocked my scrawny butt over. Not for me thank you!
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    Mary Kate. Thank you too for your response! Please see above. I am trying to gain muscle lean muscle! That's it ! Please also know that i regularly check my blood sugars daily and eat very healthy. I made wise choices in my diet and exercise which led me to be able to get off medications as per my doctors. Now all I am trying To do is supplement in a "heathy way" if possible to gain lean muscle.
  • lucygoesrawr
    lucygoesrawr Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    According to BMI (http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/BMI/bmicalc.htm), you are in the overweight category.

When you build muscle, you will put on fat as well. That's inevitable.
    BMI isn't very accurate for muscular people, which OP seems to be saying he is. Not to mention he's only just in the overweight category.
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    Thank you Lucy!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Repeat:
    When were you diagnosed?
    Did you ever have an antibody test to rule out the possibility of type 1? (i.e. LADA or type 1.5 when diagnosed as an adult)
    Do you see an endocrinologist?
    What is your body fat % and skeletal muscle %?
  • chadluvsrue
    Options
    Yes I saw an endo. Type 2 runs in my family big time. Definitely type 2. I was diagnosed last August. Body fat last measured was 12%. Haven't done musc %